Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I'd definitely 1zz my Blitz if there was a way to make it bolt on.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #38
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I'd definitely 1zz my Blitz if there was a way to make it bolt on.
I'm not familiar with what your clearances are. Would bolting something additional onto the top of your throttle body base cause issues if the throttle body's position was raised up higher?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #39
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
When I had one made for the experimental tooter et, I also made one extra just to see if there would be any interest in a Blitz 1ZZ Adaptor.
I woke up this morning thinking about how this would work, and I think it may be slightly too big. I measured the neck of the Blitz at some point, but I've forgotten the exact dimension. I'm thinking 54mm O.D., but that seems awful small if the I.D. is 52mm. I'll have to take the calipers out to the car and measure it again.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
47_MasoN_47

Quote:
I'm not familiar with what your clearances are. Would bolting something additional onto the top of your throttle body base cause issues if the throttle body's position was raised up higher?
It just depends on how much higher it would be...

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I woke up this morning thinking about how this would work, and I think it may be slightly too big. I measured the neck of the Blitz at some point, but I've forgotten the exact dimension. I'm thinking 54mm O.D., but that seems awful small if the I.D. is 52mm. I'll have to take the calipers out to the car and measure it again.
The bore diameter of the adaptor/bellmouth is straight 55mm, exactly the same as the 1ZZ throttle body.

The bore diameter of the Blitz intake should be at least 46mm to fit the 1NZ throttle body. So there would need to be a perimeter transition of 4.5mm, or slightly less than 3/16 of an inch. That's how much the Blitz runner would need to be flared out at the end. It would leave a thin outer edge which would slip fit up inside the tapered bellmouth curve. It would then be needed to be welded from the outside.

If less than 2 inches were cut off of the Blitz runner, the adaptor would make up that difference, and the 1ZZ throttle body would end up in the same place as the 1NZ.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #42
CrankyOldMan

OK, here's a little better info: I measured the intake at 2.06-2.07", meaning 52-52.5mm OD. Looks like the bellmouth would need another spacer or have to be flared.

The good news is that a 2.5" -> 2" silicone coupler would allow my bracket to fit, but it would need another mounting point for the radiator hose. I'm still thinking that the xB intake tube would be the best way to make it happen since it is round all the way at the top instead of all squashed like ours.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
tooter
play every day

[quote=CrankyOldMan;702651]OK, here's a little better info: I measured the intake at 2.06-2.07", meaning 52-52.5mm OD. Looks like the bellmouth would need another spacer or have to be flared.

Wow... that's really small.

Quote:
The good news is that a 2.5" -> 2" silicone coupler would allow my bracket to fit, but it would need another mounting point for the radiator hose. I'm still thinking that the xB intake tube would be the best way to make it happen since it is round all the way at the top instead of all squashed like ours.
Your silicone adaptor idea is much better!

By the way what is an "xB intake tube"? Can you post a pic of one?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
By the way what is an "xB intake tube"? Can you post a pic of one?
After looking at more images, it would still have to be altered to point in the right direction, but it could be easier than making one from scratch.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #45
47_MasoN_47

Did you measure the diameter on an XB kit or a Yaris kit? I know the Yaris has a single piece pipe thing that comes off the top of the supercharger where the XB kit has that split one. I wonder if they might be different diameters?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #46
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Did you measure the diameter on an XB kit or a Yaris kit? I know the Yaris has a single piece pipe thing that comes off the top of the supercharger where the XB kit has that split one. I wonder if they might be different diameters?
I measured mine from my Yaris kit. As far as I know, the TB bore is the same, so the blitz runner bore should be the same. I can't tell from the images if the lower half of the runner looks bigger or not, so the OD is unknown unless you can get an xB owner to measure theirs.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #47
tooter
play every day

With in inside diameter of 46mm and an outside diameter of ~52mm the Blitz intake must be an extremely thin casting to have walls that are only 3mm thick. That's tubing thickness. I'm wondering how they were able to pour aluminium into such a thin casting without leaving porous pockets.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #48
CrankyOldMan

It's a very strange casting, indeed. You can see lots of seams inside from the different sections of the wax master that were never smoothed out, like bad concrete foundations.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #49
CrankyOldMan

While waiting for my engine to cool off enough to change the oil yesterday, I installed my injen CAI. Some interesting things to note:
* The stock throttle body is TINY compared to the 1ZZ.
* The injen intake isn't a suitable donor for a 1ZZ due to the diameter of the mating end and the limited space to clamp a silicone coupler near the MAF mount.
* Finding an inexpensive aftermarket intake to scavenge a MAF section from is difficult, now that the Simota is not readily available.
* Finding an off-the-shelf 2.25" MAF section is pretty much not going to happen.
* Putting an intake on a supercharged engine makes for some really silly noises.
* There is a LOT of room to get creative in there, provided you can do all the silliness where the OEM intake was--not much clearance at the top of the S/C.

Correction: this may be a suitable alternative source for a MAF section, assuming you can deal with a 3" body:
http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...apter-kit.html

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 06-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
* Finding an off-the-shelf 2.25" MAF section is pretty much not going to happen.

Correction: this may be a suitable alternative source for a MAF section, assuming you can deal with a 3" body:
http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...apter-kit.html
You could hack up this eBay intake kit for the MAF housing - verified its 2.25"

I tried the Spectre 3" MAF - immediately threw a CEL - MAF out of range. Unless you can modify this setting with the ECM - 3" is just too big for the 1.5.
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #51
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post

I tried the Spectre 3" MAF - immediately threw a CEL - MAF out of range. Unless you can modify this setting with the ECM - 3" is just too big for the 1.5.
Now, that is one hell of a deal for only 44 bucks and free shipping!

It's well worth it, if only just to get a MAF section.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #52
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
I don't see any info on it being 2.25. Did you verify it yourself, or are you saying "if it's verified"?

Quote:
Was that with the 2.25" 'calibration tube'? Was it by chance P0103? I threw one of those today when I went through a rather deep puddle and splashed the filter. Scared me pretty good.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Now, that is one hell of a deal for only 44 bucks and free shipping!

It's well worth it, if only just to get a MAF section.
Agreed, it's a great deal for the tube. The rest looks like junk. Went ahead and got one.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #54
tooter
play every day

And save the other pieces...
With careful cutting and straight silicone couplings you could create any custom shape intake you wanted.

edit: Just checked the seller's feedback and couldn't find any negatives for that intake. And they sell at least 2 of them a month.

Last edited by tooter; 06-25-2013 at 10:53 PM.