Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #19
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I'm sure they'll just make it heavier and loaded with more useless features. The age of being able to buy a basic car seems to be disappearing. Sadly.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by orheen View Post
doubt that seeing as all those cars in picture are on here....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
lol
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #22
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I'm sure they'll just make it heavier and loaded with more useless features. The age of being able to buy a basic car seems to be disappearing. Sadly.
You're right. Each generation adds more and more. A Yaris is more advanced than a mid-level car from 15 years ago. But now, it's considered a plain econo-box.

I think it's partly the fault of auto journalists who put simple cars like the Yaris down while lifting up the more feature filled cars such as the Fit (that of course cost more).

But today's consumers generally demand more and more while expecting prices to stay low and for fuel efficiency to go up even with a heavier car. They've gotten spoiled.

So it's pretty certain that Toyota will be forced to compete with more expensively engineered cars because of the negatives that the auto media has labeled the Yaris with (especially when compared to Fit). They'll have to make a more upscale interior, engineer better handling, ect.

It is too bad.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You're right. Each generation adds more and more. A Yaris is more advanced than a mid-level car from 15 years ago. But now, it's considered a plain econo-box.
not disagreeing exactly but how do you figure?
my 84 oldsmobile delta was pretty basic for 84 and it had nicer seats and dash and other things then my yaris

i like the yaris but its a very basic car as far as im concerned

i can understand an upgraded yaris being as nice as a mid level car from 15 years ago but i have manual windows manual locks 5 speed and i feel like its as bare as a car could come
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
While the Yaris is a base model here, in Europe it's third up the line, as the iQ and Aygo are smaller than the Yaris.

www.toyota.ie
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimek View Post
my 84 oldsmobile delta was pretty basic for 84 and it had nicer seats and dash and other things then my yaris

i can understand an upgraded yaris being as nice as a mid level car from 15 years ago but i have manual windows manual locks 5 speed and i feel like its as bare as a car could come
But that Old's was no doubt built kind of poorly in comparison to the Yaris's bullet proof engineering. And the fit and finish on cars from the '80's was horrendous.

Basically, I was saying how the Yaris as a whole (not based just on feature content) is more advanced (build quality, engine, suspension, steering, modern electronics and ECU, ect.). Sure, the interior is all plastic but it's still constructed better and looks better. Also, in all fairness, I was comparing the power package equipped Yaris which then has basically all the features and more of the cars of the '80's and even '90's.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #26
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My Mom for some reason bought a Cadillac Cimarron (well above the midlevel) in 1984. Its interior stuff looked good at first, but fell apart in a few years. POS.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #27
specialeducator

Cadillac Cimarron was a dressed up Chevy Citation.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
specialeducator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimek View Post

I love my manual windows and locks
Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #29
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
Quote:
But that Old's was no doubt built kind of poorly in comparison to the Yaris's bullet proof engineering. And the fit and finish on cars from the '80's was horrendous.

Basically, I was saying how the Yaris as a whole (not based just on feature content) is more advanced (build quality, engine, suspension, steering, modern electronics and ECU, ect.). Sure, the interior is all plastic but it's still constructed better and looks better. Also, in all fairness, I was comparing the power package equipped Yaris which then has basically all the features and more of the cars of the '80's and even '90's.
i see i totally agree with that and thats why i bought a yaris..for reliability over anything else
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Why would buying a Yaris require the "should I buy a 2010 or wait a year and buy a 2011 model?" thought process? I mean really...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #31
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Why would buying a Yaris require the "should I buy a 2010 or wait a year and buy a 2011 model?" thought process? I mean really...
If the redesign isn't until 2012 (as I suspect) then I agree. If the redesign comes in the 2011 model year, then waiting makes perfect sense.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #32
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
If the redesign isn't until 2012 (as I suspect) then I agree. If the redesign comes in the 2011 model year, then waiting makes perfect sense.

No, not really... If the car was something exotic or at least frivolous like, say, a GT-R, and was just going to be a showcase of excess, then I could see waiting. Maybe the 2012 model will have 550hp and wings capable of low altitude flight. But we are talking about a Yaris! I'm willing to bet that the majority of Yaris owners, myself included, bought the car because they needed a dependable, inexpensive, low maintenance, safe, efficient vehicle... In my case, a car my kid could drive...

"I was going to buy a Yaris but I hear the 2012 model will have 105hp, fog lights standard, and a rear spoiler... So I'll keep walking to work uphill, in the snow, both ways, until it comes out..."

Hmmmm....
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #33
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
No, not really... If the car was something exotic or at least frivolous like, say, a GT-R, and was just going to be a showcase of excess, then I could see waiting. Maybe the 2012 model will have 550hp and wings capable of low altitude flight. But we are talking about a Yaris! I'm willing to bet that the majority of Yaris owners, myself included, bought the car because they needed a dependable, inexpensive, low maintenance, safe, efficient vehicle... In my case, a car my kid could drive...

"I was going to buy a Yaris but I hear the 2012 model will have 105hp, fog lights standard, and a rear spoiler... So I'll keep walking to work uphill, in the snow, both ways, until it comes out..."

Hmmmm....
I see your point especially if waiting causes an inconvenience. But if you have a car that you can drive for an extra year without issues, why not wait to see what Toyota has in store.

A redesign almost always means a better car. It will still be a Yaris as you pointed out but it will probably get even better FE, be safer, look better, have better interior materials, ect...

To add to my point, if you asked in 2005 if whether or not you should buy the Echo or wait for the unseen redesign coming in '07, do you still think buying the Echo would have been the right decision? As we found out, the Yaris was a huge step forward. No comparison.

What if the next Yaris is just as much of an improvement?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #34
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
To add to my point, if you asked in 2005 if whether or not you should buy the Echo or wait for the unseen redesign coming in '07, do you still think buying the Echo would have been the right decision? As we found out, the Yaris was a huge step forward. No comparison.
Not everything was improved about the Yaris compared with the Echo, not by a long shot. The car's bigger, heavier, doesn't get as good mileage, really isn't roomier inside, it's got about 1 1/2" less headroom. I'd've been tickled to buy a brand new Echo. I love my Yaris, but a huge step forward it's not. I think its trunk is a little bigger. That's about it on the improvements. Oh yeah, 15" wheels. The Yaris is prettier, no doubt. FWIW.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #35
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
What if the next Yaris is just as much of an improvement?

hmmm.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #36
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialeducator View Post
Cadillac Cimarron was a dressed up Chevy Citation.
Actually, it was a dressed up Cavalier.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote