Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
angrygenerator

Drives: 08 Yaris
Question Freon smell and heater not working as good as it used to

Late last summer, my wife and I began noticing that there was a strong Freon odour coming air conditioner when ever we had it set to recirculate air and the blower control knob set to position two. And recently we've also noticed that the heater takes much longer than it once did to warm the car in the morning. Any ideas why this might be so. and is this problem likely to be something covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Shane.
angrygenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Did you check and see if your Cabin Air Filter in the blower housing is clogged up or not there?
If it is not there {seems many Yaris's shipped with out one in the housing} did you suck some foreign material into the blower housing and it has restricted air flow?
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=cabin+air
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
angrygenerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
Did you check and see if your Cabin Air Filter in the blower housing is clogged up or not there?
If it is not there {seems many Yaris's shipped with out one in the housing} did you suck some foreign material into the blower housing and it has restricted air flow?
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=cabin+air
The blower itself works fine, my problem with the heater has more to do with the increased length of time it takes for the air from the vent to warm my car. Last February in Northern Minnesota, my Yaris would only take a couple of minutes to get warm, but in Nashville, where I now live, it seems to take ages to get hot.

The cabin air filter was changed recently, so I don't think that should a problem.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygenerator View Post
The blower itself works fine, my problem with the heater has more to do with the increased length of time it takes for the air from the vent to warm my car. Last February in Northern Minnesota, my Yaris would only take a couple of minutes to get warm, but in Nashville, where I now live, it seems to take ages to get hot.

The cabin air filter was changed recently, so I don't think that should a problem.
On cold weather package equipped Yaris there is a supplemental electric (PTC) heater that helps to get the hot air blowing before the coolant gets hot enough for the heater core to make heat. It may not be working.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
angrygenerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On cold weather package equipped Yaris there is a supplemental electric (PTC) heater that helps to get the hot air blowing before the coolant gets hot enough for the heater core to make heat. It may not be working.
I bought my Yaris used from a dealer in Atlanta, so I'm not sure if that is the problem, but if it is, how can I tell if there is a PTC equipped?

Thanks for the replies by the way.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygenerator View Post
I bought my Yaris used from a dealer in Atlanta, so I'm not sure if that is the problem, but if it is, how can I tell if there is a PTC equipped?

Thanks for the replies by the way.
If you pull the corner of the carpet away from the big white air box, next to the gas pedal, you will see the AC ECU. If it has one connector, it is not equipped with the PTC heater, and if it has two it is.