Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Possibly purchasing a Yaris, how many miles do you go without major repairs?

I am a foreclosure inspector, and I currently have a Saturn SL that's... Ugh, I've had some times with that car.

I live in Plano Texas, and do inspections in Fort Worth. I drive ALL way long a couple weeks out of the month.
250 miles a day isn't hard for me.

I want an automatic car, fuel efficient (the yaris has to be MPG godly), and dependable.

Dependability is probably the biggest thing.
I looked at Fits, but they're really only obtaining around 29mpg. I also looked at 1st gen Scion xBs, but they're all WAY over Kelly Blue Book value at dealership. 10,000$ for a 217,000 mile xB at Holt Fiat? No thanks.

I do own a tC, it is very dependable, but I (and my wife) maintain the living crap out of that car. The #1 problem with it is the a/c compressors keep going out. I read a lot about this on the xB forums too. (I live in Texas...).

How many miles, do most Yaris' go without any major repairs?
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Many, many, miles!!
Sounds to me like the Yaris might just be the perfect car for you.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
chriswf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Many, many, miles!!
You think so?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Many, many, miles!!
I agree, the Yaris might be the perfect car for you. I have a 5-speed manual, but in over 224,000 miles I have had only two what MIGHT be considered major repairs --- new front wheel bearings at 110k and a new alternator at 159k. I have the original water pump, radiator, clutch, transmission, brakes (only 20% worn at 207k), exhaust, engine, etc. I imagine the effect the driving environment and weather would have on the car would be pretty similar for DFW and Houston, so your result, I think, wouldn't be markedly different...unless you drive the car as hard as an abused rental.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
chriswf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I agree, the Yaris might be the perfect car for you. I have a 5-speed manual, but in over 224,000 miles I have had only two what MIGHT be considered major repairs --- new front wheel bearings at 110k and a new alternator at 159k. I have the original water pump, radiator, clutch, transmission, brakes (only 20% worn at 207k), exhaust, engine, etc. I imagine the effect the driving environment and weather would have on the car would be pretty similar for DFW and Houston, so your result, I think, wouldn't be markedly different...unless you drive the car as hard as an abused rental.
I don't know if I'm really rough with my cars or not... Like our tC can take a high rev RPM all day any day, it has been for over 200,000 miles. But that's what we got the car for. Dependable, yet slight performance and decent MPG for my wife.

But during work it's just a lot of stop'n'go all day. I don't drive cars like I do the tC for fun on the weekends. I drive them just a slight bit faster than those around me, and sometimes make speedy turns - given whatever car I'm driving can handle it.

I might be buying a Yaris tomorrow. They're CHEAP! Even brand new!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I have an automatic 2007 yaris I bought brand new back in July '06. I now have over 120k miles and the only repairs or replacement things I have really done have been replacing the serpentine belt at 85k, replaced the front left CV boot cover at 98k, and the battery at almost 4 years to the day.

I've used my yaris for long trips, pizza delivery, and for my on-site computer repair business. It is not uncommon for me to go 80-250 miles per day when working due to the area I service. With heavy foot, wheels, and modifications I average about 30-37mpg. On the lower side with the A/C on. Hope this helps, I love my Yaris and even after 73 months I love driving it every single time.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post
I am a foreclosure inspector, and I currently have a Saturn SL that's... Ugh, I've had some times with that car.

I live in Plano Texas, and do inspections in Fort Worth. I drive ALL way long a couple weeks out of the month.
250 miles a day isn't hard for me.

I want an automatic car, fuel efficient (the yaris has to be MPG godly),
I've got a 2007 five speed and driving between Irving and Richardson almost exclusively, I'm getting 33 to 36 mpg, with the A/C running as high as needed. See that you get at least a 2009 or newer because before then, the Yaris was REALLY barebones. And maybe look into the five door even if you only need two, because again, many more options available there.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
chriswf

Okay what does LB stand for then? (aside from a pound - weight measurement)

I tried googling and looking on wikipedia, and I can't find any information. Is that just, 5 doors? Or?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Okay what does LB stand for then? (aside from a pound - weight measurement)

I tried googling and looking on wikipedia, and I can't find any information. Is that just, 5 doors? Or?
LB = liftback. it's just toyota speak for hatchback lol - nothing more, nothing less.
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I have 2007 5-speed manual. I am about to start it now to go to work.It's 4;25 am and cold and it starts every time.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
chriswf

Well... No dealerships open on Sunday really lol.

Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Only bigger thing I've had to replace was my waterpump at 90k

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
chriswf

How is the automatic transmissions though?

Most of my problems I've ever had with a car, and if the car was automatic, was the transmission. It's like they can never keep up with even daily 15 mile driving. I've only had 4 automatic cars in my life, the other 8-10 cars I've owned/own, are all manual.

Those automatics were a 96 accord, the current 97 saturn Sl, a dodge stratus, and the current Scion tC my wife owns.
-The tC's automatic transmission appears to be bullet proof after 200,000 miles.
The others I maintained fluid/filter changes, and they just turn into crap...

My manual cars, there was never a problem I couldn't fix. 94 manual saturn, tercel 4efte swapped, civic wagovan, s10 blazer, crx, ford probe, fiero, etc...

I just don't know how to work on transmissions, plus I feel like if I have to pull it out of the engine bay to keep fixing it, it's not worth fixing or keeping the car...

So yeah I'm aiming for a new/newER used car, hoping it has an automatic that'll last for my liking.

Last edited by chriswf; 09-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I don't know if I'm really rough with my cars or not... Like our tC can take a high rev RPM all day any day, it has been for over 200,000 miles. But that's what we got the car for. Dependable, yet slight performance and decent MPG for my wife.

But during work it's just a lot of stop'n'go all day. I don't drive cars like I do the tC for fun on the weekends. I drive them just a slight bit faster than those around me, and sometimes make speedy turns - given whatever car I'm driving can handle it.

I might be buying a Yaris tomorrow. They're CHEAP! Even brand new!
Yes they are cheap, and I'm amazed how well they hold their value. My previous car (a 2001 Suzuki Swift) had depreciated to zero at 151,000+ miles by the time I bought my Yaris. I'm nearly 75,000 miles past that on my Yaris, and I was amazed at how much it was still worth when I looked it up on the Blue Book site a few weeks ago. Just for kicks, I upped the mileage to 300k on that search to see what would happen to the value and it didn't go down at all.

A Toyota mechanic told me that the clutch in the Yaris is the same as the one in the tC and tends to last so long in the Yaris (under normal driving conditions) because (paraphrasing how he put it) it is a '140HP+ clutch in a 106HP car'. I understand other parts are also the same (I just used the clutch as an example, I remember you stated you want an automatic). You should have no trouble, I would think, getting 200k+ out of a Yaris given that you've gotten 200k+ out of a tC.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
chriswf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yes they are cheap, and I'm amazed how well they hold their value. My previous car (a 2001 Suzuki Swift) had depreciated to zero at 151,000+ miles by the time I bought my Yaris. I'm nearly 75,000 miles past that on my Yaris, and I was amazed at how much it was still worth when I looked it up on the Blue Book site a few weeks ago. Just for kicks, I upped the mileage to 300k on that search to see what would happen to the value and it didn't go down at all.

A Toyota mechanic told me that the clutch in the Yaris is the same as the one in the tC and tends to last so long in the Yaris (under normal driving conditions) because (paraphrasing how he put it) it is a '140HP+ clutch in a 106HP car'. I understand other parts are also the same (I just used the clutch as an example, I remember you stated you want an automatic). You should have no trouble, I would think, getting 200k+ out of a Yaris given that you've gotten 200k+ out of a tC.

Our tC is automatic. Is the clutch pedal stiff or soft? Pumping a clutch all day can suck if the clutch is firm.

Also, anyone know what the other poster meant by buy a 09 or later because earlier models are barebone? I looked at an 07 and it had a cd player, automatic windows/locks... Perhaps he meant something else.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Our tC is automatic. Is the clutch pedal stiff or soft? Pumping a clutch all day can suck if the clutch is firm.

Also, anyone know what the other poster meant by buy a 09 or later because earlier models are barebone? I looked at an 07 and it had a cd player, automatic windows/locks... Perhaps he meant something else.
I don't know how to properly describe the clutch feel without a zero chance of being inadvertently misleading other than to say it is quite different than the clutches in other manual transmission cars I've owned (VW GTI, Suzuki Swift, Colt/Mirage, VW Scirocco, Mitsubishi Galant VR-4...off the top of my head). My understanding is that this is because it is a 'drive by wire' clutch.

In 09 or 10 a Tachometer was made standard, as well as a few other items that were either not previously standard or not available at all (I can only remember the Tach off the top of my head). I think he is looking at it from a 'the least it would have' perspective.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Well... No dealerships open on Sunday really lol.

Hopefully tomorrow.
Yeah, that law cracks me up. Some dealership groups in Texas will have two stores in the same metro selling the same make and close one only on Saturdays and the other one only on Sundays.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
only thing you might have to deal with is the waterpump. mine went out at 75k miles. dealership wanted $450 to replace it....no thanks. i bought one for $40 and had local mechanic install it for $120 labor.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote