Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Wrecked. Minimum Coverage...any advice?

So, I worked at BMW on the assembly line for 2 years..so I am fairly comfortable with basic maintenance and connections, etc. I am cautiously optimistic that I can do much of the repair work myself, though I am nervous as I am no mechanic.

The short of what happened...(I am an elementary school teacher). My assistant principals daughter just died a couple weeks ago, and I was driving by her favorite restaurant. I turned to glance and see if they were open, wondering about a gift card, and my reaction time was too slow, wasn't really focused or just off for some reason. Turned back to see a long line at a red light (very very long). No time to swerve, and was afraid to hit someone so close to the hotels and restaurant if I did try to swerve, so slammed the breaks but didn't make it. He was pretty much fine, but his bumper slid over my bumper and smashed into my radiator core, bent the upper maybe the right too, I am not sure). Not too terrible, but I am afraid of the cost now, been meaning to upgrade to full coverage for a while but never did it. Two girls and a wife who only works 1 day a week, and down south teachers are pretty low income.

Any advice on what I need to inspect, what things might cost and where to source the necessary parts would be of huge benefit. A list will follow of what I know for sure:

1. THe grill-attached to the bumper cover-is destroyed and in pieces. The bumper cover, headlights, and fog lights are all fine, but it is one piece.

2. The radiator core is bent

3. A bolt on metal connector that runs from the bumper to the radiator support is mangled, but the hose that runs on the front appears in fine condition.

4. The upper raidator core support bracket is bent, possibly the right one as well.

5. The fan box got smooshed and some of the hollow tubing going to the fan box is demolished.

6. The hood is mangled. I had to unbolt the hinge to take the hood off.

7. The horn cable is broken (just fine with me, was weak enough as it was.)

8. Fire truck cut my battery terminals because my air bags did not deploy.

Pictures to follow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upper bracket removal car in back ground.JPG (214.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg hoodphoto 4.JPG (240.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg upper bracket support.JPG (255.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg mangled bumper bracket.JPG (255.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg radiator core.JPG (367.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg squished tubes.JPG (274.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg cut battery terminals.JPG (245.2 KB, 120 views)
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's not bad. If you source the parts well you can put it back together for under $1000.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
That's a pretty mild hit (although still sucks).
The unknown cable is the hood release, and goes into the latch.
Other than the obvious, pull the bumper cover and see if there is any damage under there. Also, in the service manual there is a section for measuring to see if the car is bent. It's unlikely from that damage, but if you care to measure. I would suggest getting your alignment checked after as well. No point risking tire wear to save $100, and most places will check for free.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
BMGYaris

Hi again. sorry for no response, been out of town for the holidays so just pretended nothing happened while I was gone. I am hoping I can get out for well under 1000....I have no plans to paint anything for starters. I doubt the hood can be bent back but going to look into that.

I have not found any connections, sensors or hoses with any signs of damage beyond the air filter box and I can not find anywhere on the radiator that looks like it is leaking.

I seriously doubt the frame is bent as the car never even hit my bumper at all but I will figure out how to measure that tomorrow, and the right side of the support does not even look like it was bent at all, nor any damage ot anything beyond the upper and left support bars.

However, i am trying to remove the left support bar, and it looks like I have to loosen the bolts on the bumper. I just want to check and make sure this is correct before I do it. Do I need to actually remove the left side bumper bolts so I can slide the left side support out, or is there some other way to remove and reinstall? Also, is this a perfect time for "regular inventory" at rock auto or are body parts a CAPA must?

pictures attached

Left side overview..I am worried about being able to properly reinstall the bolts on the bumper.
left support overview.jpg

Support top of bumper
left support bumper top.jpg

Bumper bottom
left support bumper bottom.jpg

It looks like the upper and left side support are the only sides that got bent, so I am hoping to just order those two parts, the new air box and tubes leading to air box for air filter and put those back together. Fix the battery and see if it drives. Check if the radiator core needs replacing once it is driving. From what I understand, if I can fit the support on, and the parts of the radator that house liquid are not damaged then it might be fine? The fan can still spin freely as well.

Then if that makes it driveable figure out about the hood and the bumper cover/grill.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You do have to remove the bumper support to remove the radiator support frame.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
BMGYaris

I know I clearly do not know much of what I am doing, but, in order to remove left side i need to remove the impact bar bracket (it does have one tiny little crinkle with some paint off, hopefuly it is not worse than it seems).

I have not loosened it yet because I have had to shop for the parts anyway and am trying to decide to tget the 97 dollar toyota part or the 31 dollar Diften. I am also nervous to unbolt the bumper for fear that it has very specific high torque requirements, if i do not have to.

It looks like I will have to remove the entire bumper though, in order to remove the impact bar? or will just loosening the impact bar allow the left support to slide out?

Part of me kows this is a stupid question and I could just try, but I dont want to apply extra force or do anything in the wrong order, and I just want to remove the bumper before i even start loosening the impact bar if thats what I need to do, but I really hate to do it at all and so want to verify the whole bumper needs to come off-old stiff wires routing across and everything dangling all over the place--before I do it (I got real lucky he didnt hit any of those wires, slid right over them....) I know better than many, one piece of plastic gone awry can be a real pita.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Why do they cut the battery wires? It seems like simply using a wrench would suffice...

Having rebuilt the whole front end of my pickup truck after the previous owner had a front-end collision and did a really crap job of repairing it, IMO just remove everything you can remove. Spend some time with a rubber mallet knocking dents out and straightening up bent pieces (C-clamps and bits of flat steel do a great job for this). It'll take a while to get apart but you can inspect everything much better if you strip the front down basically so that it's just the engine and the frame.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote