Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Cheap "performance" brake fluid

Just a heads up to you local Canadian guys (not sure if you guys in the states have access to this stuff or not)

A lot of people asking about performance brake fluids for when they track their Yaris'. One option is a performance DOT4 from Stop Tech or Motul which locally is about $22 per 500ml (or $44 per L) and it has a dry boiling point of around 600*F

What I have found works well and is cost effective is to use the "OEM" brand made by Recochem found at my local Canadian Tire.

It costs $18 for just under a litre and had a dry BP of 500*F. If they are out of it then I go with the next best one with a dry BP of 486*F.

Oddly enough the top one with a higher BP is actually a dollar cheaper..
I know DOT 3 and 4 are compatible but I prefer to stick to a DOT 3 just in case there are any oddities with Toyota's brake materials. 500*F is the dry BP you find with the super expensive silicone based euro DOT 5 fluid.

I wanted to keep costs down as I bleed my brakes after every track day so over the course of a season I typically go through 3-4L of brake fluid when it is all said and done. Regardless of what fluid you go with, the most important factors is keeping the fluid fresh so there is no moisture in it. The wet boiling points are significantly lower no matter what fluid you are running. I used this fluid all last year and despite my rotors turning blue, I never had a single brake fluid related issue
Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
A1 info

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote