Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Well this just happened

So is that pretty bad damage or do you think that's fixable?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.

Last edited by Shinare; 11-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Your pictures did not come through
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

How bout now?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Didn't show up again, but here they are...

fa0244c686f66600b35fdcb2d8967dfa.jpg
7fe0cc159e1f578c59d50c94fc96aa9d.jpg

Bummer about that. I'm guessing that that happened when the car was parked? If not, hope everyone is uninjured!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I was driving past a 7 11 and a girl sped out of the entrance and tagged me as I was driving by. She told the cop she didn't even see me.

No injuries that i know about yet. My son was in the car with me, he seems OK to. Got it on my dash cam.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
That is pretty significant damage, especially because that's the quater panel, and it's a solid piece that goes all the way around the back half of your car
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

My big worry is they are just going to pull it out and fill it in with a ton of bondo leaving the stuff behind the panel still messed up.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I haven't even looked at the back seat yet.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
A good shop will cut out the damage and weld in a new piece.
Insurance may dictate what is done. It maybe totaled.
Good luck,
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
Shitty, I feel your pain. When it comes to driving, people are getting dumber and being more distracted than ever. Driving is all about dodging idiots these days.

Hope you guys are ok.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I would guess that is a write-off. The wheel probably took the brunt of the hit, and the axle and possibly brackets will be bent. Add all the other bits and I think it will be above the value of the car. As much as it sucks, sometimes it's best to have the car written-off and buy a different one that hasn't been hit. Sorry to hear about the crash, and I hope the insurance company doesn't screw around too much. BTW, not sure how things are done there, but if it is a write-off and they want you to sign a piece of paper that lets them sell/scrap the car prior to settling with you, do not sign it. I killed a truck and the only reason they started to offer a proper amount of $ for it was because it was sitting in their lot for 2mo. Remember to read everything, and only sign what is beneficial to you.

Good luck.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That actually doesn't look that bad, but insurance will probably total it because of the labor required to cut out and replace that panel. Does it seem like the rear axle is damaged?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

The short drive from street to parking space seemed bouncy/wobbly in the back but no idea if that was just flat tire or bent axle.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
The short drive from street to parking space seemed bouncy/wobbly in the back but no idea if that was just flat tire or bent axle.
It's amazing how well a Yaris actually takes a rear corner hit. I sold a rear axle beam to a person who took a hit directly to the rear wheel and after replacing the bent rear axle the car was fine.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #15
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Sorry brother. Hate when this happens.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I've been rear ended twice in the past two years in the same corner of the rear. One was at a stand still on the highway and he was driving an econoline van traveling at highway speeds and didn't realize I was stopped in traffic. These cars are like mini tanks IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It's amazing how well a Yaris actually takes a rear corner hit. I sold a rear axle beam to a person who took a hit directly to the rear wheel and after replacing the bent rear axle the car was fine.
I agree with the labor issue and they might just total it. This is what happened to the van. I only needed a new bumper ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (3).JPG (207.8 KB, 294 views)
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
Jlively
Mr J.

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 dr HB
Send a message via AIM to Jlively
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I've been rear ended twice in the past two years in the same corner of the rear. One was at a stand still on the highway and he was driving an econoline van traveling at highway speeds and didn't realize I was stopped in traffic. These cars are like mini tanks IMO.

I agree with the labor issue and they might just total it. This is what happened to the van. I only needed a new bumper ;)
I got hit head on by a econoline van while turning at an intersection as the light was turning red * I had been waiting in the middle for a chance to turn* he decided to fly out around a full semi rig and another van and gun it to beat the light... all he did was beat the hell out of the cavalier I had at the time and totaled it beyond any type of repair eveeeerrr lol. Luckily all in the car was ok save for a small cut to my passeneger. He wound up with the driver side corner of his bumper bent up a bit that was all.. Didnt even crack any of the head light housing or turn signal... These things are tanks and shouldnt be so damned tough lol just gives people more reason to not care since they will survive most accidents they will be in.
Jlively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I was driving past a 7 11 and a girl sped out of the entrance and tagged me as I was driving by. She told the cop she didn't even see me.

No injuries that i know about yet. My son was in the car with me, he seems OK to. Got it on my dash cam.
Typical :D