Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #55
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
maybe, but you should drive my car. The T25 turbo spools so fast and early it's amazing to drive -- I don't regret putting in the lightweight flywheel at all.

Quote:
its not that it wouldn't make it as fun to drive. It basically can slow down how fast your turbo spools thus leaving you less rpms that you are actually making positive pressure. The reason being is because the heavier flywheel puts more load on the engine. More load on the engine = faster spool. Another example is the higher the gear the faster the spool. So if you are in 2nd and starts making boost at 3k rpm it will start even sooner in third because of more load on the engine. Lightened flywheels usually cater more to the n/a crowd.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 AM   #56
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
cali..... I have to agree with you.

My cuz put a Light weight flywheel in his WRX and he said it was the best mod he'd done as in bang for buck.

Whether the rotational inertia puts more load on an engine.... I think the load from accelerating the vehicle would make the load from the flywheel insignificant.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #57
Duskin_Carpentier

Drives: 08' Liftback,95' ///M3SC61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
maybe, but you should drive my car. The T25 turbo spools so fast and early it's amazing to drive -- I don't regret putting in the lightweight flywheel at all.
ya i'm not saying it wouldn't be fun and im sure spool isn't a problem with that little guy. I even have a lightweight flywheel in my turbo M3, but i bought that when i was n/a and sold my stock. All i'm saying is if i were going to turbo this car i don't necessarily see the reason in spending money on a lightened flywheel.. thats all.

and in regards to whoguy i'm not sure if thats the mods i would choose if i was going for to imporve overall acceleration, assuming thats what his intentions were, but maybe im crazy? haha It may not seem that insignificant, but other turbo bmw guys have changed back from lightweight flywheel to stock and have seen actual imporvment in getting in boost sooner. The sooner you are in boost the better, but thats just my opinion.
Duskin_Carpentier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #58
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
New clutch, definitely. I was talking to this mechanic at a speed shop about boosting the car, and he recommended *not* getting a lightened flywheel... said it would make it "not fun" to drive..? Perhaps with the spooling of the turbo, the engine would be smoother with the stock flywheel?
This is why you don't want to get a lightened flywheel especially on a boosted car.

PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #59
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
More likley the drivers fault,mechanics and or manufacturer but I agree to an extent.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #60
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
All i'm saying is if i were going to turbo this car i don't necessarily see the reason in spending money on a lightened flywheel..
true, not just for that, but if you have it all apart for a clutch upgrade, it's no more trouble. Throw the LSD in there too...

phxdemon, I'll show you my THREE cars that have lightened flywheels with boost that have never had a problem. I'm not sure what your point is -- is that your car in the pictures? Tell us more about it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #61
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
true, not just for that, but if you have it all apart for a clutch upgrade, it's no more trouble. Throw the LSD in there too...

phxdemon, I'll show you my THREE cars that have lightened flywheels with boost that have never had a problem. I'm not sure what your point is -- is that your car in the pictures? Tell us more about it.
No It just scares me because many time lightened means machined thinner than OEM. More than likely the driver revved his motor to 8k and dumped the clutch which caused that. What manufacturers make lightened flywheels for our car anyway?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #62
PHXDEMON

That flywheel also looks like it was made with the same crappy metal they make most chrome rims with
Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #63
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ true!

Fidanza makes a flywheel for us, that's what I have -- and I think Clutchmasters as well.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #64
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Clutch masters does not, I called them back when I was in the market and they said, "we do not make a flywheel for Xb's, That they where frauds". (IDK?????)

Last edited by saplaymate; 10-22-2008 at 07:26 AM.
saplaymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #65
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

what about frauds? chill dude, I said "I THINK" they did.

I know one other company makes a flywheel for us.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #66
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Fidanza is the shit had one on my blown 383 Stroker 280z. I loved that car but love the fiancee more damn.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #67
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
I had a lightened flywheel in my 3.5 altima While it felt amazing when accelerating in gear, felt better than the cai and headers together, when I went to the drag strip I was consistantly 1 tenth slower, even though the car felt much faster. I think while power shifting the mass of the lighter flywheel would not propel the car forward. The same way a lighter crank pulley makes the car feel much faster if you run at the track or have a G-tech you may be suprized with the results.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #68
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
what is this 0-60 in 3 shifts all about? The top of 2nd is 60 if not 61, as I know Loren...? stated. Even if it wasn't...start in 1st...shift to second....shift to third=2 shifts.
Anyways....dallas, that doesnt really make any sense to me, hopefully someone can elighten us.

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #69
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Top of 2nd gear is 60mph on a standard US spec Yaris Tranny...

If you have a shorter Final Drive or a different tranny then you need to shift to 3rd to reach the 60mph.

That's what the signature is about....
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #70
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
yeah but 1st to second=1 shift second to third=2nd shift =TWO shifts lol
i guess they're considering putting it in gear before starting off a shift?? if its considered a shift then I concede.

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #71
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
US Transmission shifts to 60 in second gear. I have a coupple vids that I am gonna post up soon of a 0-60 time you can note only 2 shifts.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #72
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

hitting 60 in 2nd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk1YYkwOGtI

SOooooo... back to the topic, where the hell is this kit that was going to be ready in a week or two???