Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Hubcaps or no???

Ok I have a 2009 HB Bayou Blue and I just recently painted my center console blue and when I was sitting there admiring my car from the outside I realized that the hubcaps are the only silver thing on/in the car so do you think that Yoshi will look better with or without the hubcaps?

not to mention that I have a few gouges on the hubcaps that I don't particularly enjoy

PS: Is there some kind of secret trick to takin these puppies off I thought that they just popped off but it feels like I'm gonna brake it!

Thanks in advance for your help YW peeps are AMAZING!!!

this is him with them on (before they got scratched)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0256.jpg (139.8 KB, 530 views)
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
I recently lost a hub cap after I had my tyres changed and the tyre-place didn't put them back on properly. Being as pedantic as I am, I couldn't stand the thought of driving around with a missing hub cap, so I took the other three off til I could either a) afford new wheels + tyres, or b) find another Yaris YR hub cap.

Personally, I hate it. I feel like I'm driving some smashed up bomb driving without hubcaps, but that's only because I'm so pedantic! The only thing that is making me feel slightly better about it is that it's snow season, so a fair few cars are driving around with steelies since they have to put chains on to go up the mountains. Plus, I keep getting people asking me if someone stole my wheels and I had to replace them with steelies.

To get them off, there is a tool that was provided with the car. It's stored under the carpet shelf in boot floor, next to the spare tyre in a black plastic case. All you have to do is put the flatter end under the edge of the hub cap and pull it back towards you. They seem flimsy but they should come off fairly easily.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No hubcaps looks ghetto poor, and I think your Yaris looks pretty good as it is!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
GrimlockGT

Drives: 2009 3DR Blizzard Pearl CE
Definitely keep the hubcaps.
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I took off my hubcaps before I drove off the lot. I don’t see why people think they should cover up there rims, but I got the car for what it was not thinking it was something else.

If it looks that ghetto people might pass on to the next car before they go to break into it.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Loose the hubcaps ! The Yaris looks GHETTO "with" the caps . If you clean then wax your steelies they will look good and stay dirt free longer . Plus when they do get dirty , you can just rinse off . Not to mention that you won't have to worry about your hubcaps coming off and doing damage to someone or another vehicle .

Oh and about removing the caps ..just pull ....
Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Well I ve seen some painted in flat black, it looks cool but then again save some money and buy some rims for your car. When I purchased the sedan, it came with stock rims, after two hours I went to a tire and rim shop and brought, rims and suspension for the sedan, and it gave a new different look, you just do you, if your happy keep it the way it is, if not get some rims later, holla at me.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Just give each one a fast tug and they'll pop right off. See if you like the look. I like the caps on because they give the car a more filled out look-black tires/black rims seem to disappear under the car and the black rims always look dirty.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
I'd say yes or if you want a different look you could get beauty rings, there are(least used to be) a hand full of people runnin beauty rings on here. Ultimately it's your decision. I know mine came with steelies n caps but within like a month I tracked down my rims....kept the steelies though just in case

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Fist off, the stock hubcaps are very well made and this is why they can be somewhat dificult to remove.

I took mine off and replaced them with trim rings and center caps.
Personaly, I do not like the stock caps.
The reason is, they pretend to be alloy wheels and one definition of "rice" is somthing that pretends to be something that it isn't.

Anyway, I like the look of the trim rings and center caps on the Yaris HB.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
firebob

What is a good center cap to cover up the castle nut? I have not seen any thing that was cheap and didn’t draw attention to it’s self…
Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
If you have steel wheels with no center caps and trim-rings, use the hubcaps. Just doesn't look right without them IMO.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Do the covers serve a useful purpose by keeping junk out of part of the wheel, or are they 100% cosmetic?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
firebob

From what I saw the hub caps are mostly cosmetic. They would keep some stuff from hitting the castle nut and the threads on the front end, but keeping it on the road I don’t think there is a lot of stuff that hits it with mass. If nothing is covering it up you will remember to spray some kind of lube on it from time to time to keep it from rusting.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Hubcaps = Ugly!

For my Yaris and another one, I simply pulled them off. Just give it a good tug and they'll pop right off.

I took my hubcaps off simply because I like the look of no hubs vs stock ones I don't care for. I just washed my car... I'll take some pics and post them. Plus, I like the look of the dark stock wheels with my dark tint (white 09 3door).

(My goal is to get new wheels when I need tires... I'm considering the Konig Heliums in matte black.)
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I had a wheel get bent last winter, so I even'd out both sides by taking off both hubcaps when I replaced the one rim.

My axle threads and nuts are now a pile of rusty junk.

Keep them on.

Unless you're like me, and planning to get some aluminum interceptor-style covers made up by a millwright...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Okay... mine w/o hubcaps. Can't wait until I can get the wheels I want.

The last 2 pics are for fun... just messing around with the wide angle lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris01.jpg (171.2 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg yaris02.jpg (141.8 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg yaris03.jpg (138.2 KB, 470 views)
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Well you west-coast folks don't know what rust is.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote