Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
matash
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
keyless entry with tachometer

Have a 2007 Yaris Sedan with power windows/doors and a tachometer. The factory accessory keyless entry can not be installed on this car, because of the tachometer. Has anyone heard/found out why?
matash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matash View Post
Have a 2007 Yaris Sedan with power windows/doors and a tachometer. The factory accessory keyless entry can not be installed on this car, because of the tachometer. Has anyone heard/found out why?
That is totally bogus. There is nothing different about a car with a tach vs one without from the standpoint of factory keyless. If you want me to 100% verify that, let me know the part number on your car's ECM (under the hood, against the firewall on the passenger side).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I've got factory keyless entry on my 07 S sedan...same options plus CC and power mirrors. I doubt the options have much to do with the tach and the operation of the keyless entry.

It's going to be replaced with an Autopage alarm here in a few weeks though.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
OEM Alarm on Yaris w/ Tachometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matash View Post
See my quote from another thread and some additional details below.

VIP Alarm V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves360 View Post
It works!

The only minor issue that I can see why Toyota says not to install this alarm system with our Yari that have a tachometer is because you will get a error beep when trying to arm the system when the dome light is still on.
I'm assuming the reason for the error beep is because the door ajar light shares the same circuit as dome light. Hence when you try to arm the alarm with the dome light still on the alarm system thinks that one of your doors is not closed all the way and give you an error beep to let you know you need to check.

This part is very important, "If you purchase the power package you get a tachometer and a DIMMING DOME LIGHT, which is what causes the problem."

Toyota will not install this alarm into a Yaris with a tachometer because Toyota the Manufacture says NO. Toyota will install a factory alarm system (VIP) into any Yaris that doesn't have a tachometer.

Hope this helps.
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
See my quote from another thread and some additional details below.

VIP Alarm V3

I'm assuming the reason for the error beep is because the door ajar light shares the same circuit as dome light. Hence when you try to arm the alarm with the dome light still on the alarm system thinks that one of your doors is not closed all the way and give you an error beep to let you know you need to check.

This part is very important, "If you purchase the power package you get a tachometer and a DIMMING DOME LIGHT, which is what causes the problem."

Toyota will not install this alarm into a Yaris with a tachometer because Toyota the Manufacture says NO. Toyota will install a factory alarm system (VIP) into any Yaris that doesn't have a tachometer.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. The solution is to use the door courtesy switch inputs to the ECM rather than the ILE output from the ECM as the door closed/ajar feed to the VIP.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Reeves360

Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Interesting. The solution is to use the door courtesy switch inputs to the ECM rather than the ILE output from the ECM as the door closed/ajar feed to the VIP.
Sweet! Would you mind showing me which colored wires I should move from the ILE to the ECM?

So it sounds like if I move the door ajar wires from the alarm systems factory designated location (ILE?) to another location (ECM?) that would tell the alarm the doors are closed when they are even if the dome light is still on?

Hopefully I have this concept correct.

Thank you for the help CTScott!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sweet! Would you mind showing me which colored wires I should move from the ILE to the ECM?

So it sounds like if I move the door ajar wires from the alarm systems factory designated location (ILE?) to another location (ECM?) that would tell the alarm the doors are closed when they are even if the dome light is still on?

You have the concept correct. Let me take a look at the VIP install manual and I'll give you the info. You won't have to run any wires to the ECM. The change will take place right at the under dash fuse panel area.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

So, I checked out the TVIP wiring diagrams. It looks like the way that the door input is wired, if you put the dome light in the "off" instead of "door" position, the TVIP will either not arm, or will not detect the door being opened. Can you try that to confirm?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Reeves360

I tried that 1st thing to see if it fixes the issue but it doesn't. I think that it's because of a capacitor or something that stores a small charge once all the doors are close it "leaks" the stored power to the dome light for about 7 seconds. So that the customer will get a nice light that auto dims off.

Even if you turn off the light at the switch power is still being stored and leaked out every time the doors are open and shut.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I tried that 1st thing to see if it fixes the issue but it doesn't. I think that it's because of a capacitor or something that stores a small charge once all the doors are close it "leaks" the stored power to the dome light for about 7 seconds. So that the customer will get a nice light that auto dims off.

Even if you turn off the light at the switch power is still being stored and leaked out every time the doors are open and shut.
I wasn't expecting it to be a fix. I just wanted to check to see if it behaves differently with the switch in one position or the other. If it does not, then I have to dig some more into how the TVIP gets the door status from the body ECU (which is a computer that is within the under dash fuse panel).
Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
3stars_n_a_sun

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
wow interesting read. i have a question coz i've been planning on putting a keyless entry on my sedan and i have the power package / tachometer. i'll be getting a cheap viper keyless entry from best buy will it still give me an error even though i let the professional install it?
3stars_n_a_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stars_n_a_sun View Post
wow interesting read. i have a question coz i've been planning on putting a keyless entry on my sedan and i have the power package / tachometer. i'll be getting a cheap viper keyless entry from best buy will it still give me an error even though i let the professional install it?
An aftermarket one is installed completely different than the Toyota TVIP RS3200 Alarm or Toyota OEM keyless entry. So, you wouldn't encounter the issue being discussed in this thread.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
3stars_n_a_sun

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
An aftermarket one is installed completely different than the Toyota TVIP RS3200 Alarm or Toyota OEM keyless entry. So, you wouldn't encounter the issue being discussed in this thread.
i thought we can encounter the same problem with the oem ones. thanks CTScott for clearing that up.
3stars_n_a_sun is offline   Reply With Quote