Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
yaryar83

Drives: 2007 Yaris
A/C compressor

Hi All,

I am looking for some input. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris 4-door Sedan. I have been really impressed by the car. However, the car was recently in a car accident, and there was a large amount of damage to the front right side of the car. The engine ended up being okay, and there were not any major issues besides obtaining a new hood, bumper, etc.

When we got the car back, we noticed that the A/C is going in and out. The body shop were had it fixed said that it was structurally sound when they inspected it and thought it was an underlying issue with the A/C compressor that was exacerbated by the accident and subsequent A/C recharge. The A/C compressor is located on the opposite side from the car's point of impact.

My question is if anyone would know if there are any known A/C compressor issues with the 2007 Yaris. The air conditioner has never really been that cold since I bought the car, and with the recharge the temperature is much colder (minus the problem of it blowing out hot air).

Basically, should I believe the auto body's shop explanation of a previous underlying issue?

Thanks.
yaryar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
No. There really haven't been any common issues with the compressor.

The compressor does sit on the car's front right (passenger) side, so if your car took a front right hit, then chances are that it cracked the compressor or the aluminum tubing.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If the AC works at times then I think you can assume the plumbing is OK. It must be something electrical. Or might be.

In any case while they see a lot of dammage to cars a body shop is not the one I would want telling me why my AC is or isnt working.

Take it to an AC shop. They work on that for a living and I have to believe they will sort it out in short order. GEt a recommendation from friends or family if possible.

Good luck and tell us what happens! (so we all learn something)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
yaryar83

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks for the advice. I took it to a Toyota dealer to see what the problem was. It turned out that the auto body shop that did the repairs to the car filled the A/C unit with 1 lb of freon instead of the .75 lbs that it was supposed to have. The Toyota dealer fixed the amount, and the A/C is now fully operational.
Thanks.
yaryar83 is offline   Reply With Quote