Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
I do.

Saris makes a roofrack that fits on a HB. I know a guy with one. I went with the hitchrack myself so I could save on fuel.

Coilovers on and working great. Thanks again Dave.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I have a hitch-mounted rack (currently too late for pics).
FYI, a hitch rack is the only way to go. Get the Curt rack like this one from the link (this one is for the LB) because it is easier to mount than the other brands as it uses mounting holes that are not way up under the rear bumper cover. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~11050.h...cleid=20077987
I have installed many hitches on vehicles and this was one of the easiest by far. It is well hidden, too.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Cool, thanks for the info.

yarstar: Glad you like the coilovers!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
(Side comment) Nice TCR yarstar - you must ride alot? (BTW nice machine as well, lappie)
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #23
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
(Side comment) Nice TCR yarstar - you must ride alot? (BTW nice machine as well, lappie)
Thank you Jay. I do tend to get in some miles. I race and the Yari is a great platform to travel to races in. Perfect for the solo racer.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstar View Post
Thank you Jay. I do tend to get in some miles. I race and the Yari is a great platform to travel to races in. Perfect for the solo racer.
Awesome (I'm not good enough to race competitively). I go by the Gary Fisher mantra, i.e. "Anyone who rides, is a friend of mine" Anyhoo... back to the thread...
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #25
dazarov
I've made a post!

Drives: Silver Yaris
Here is a site where you can find bike racks for Yarises:

http://www.autoanything.com/

They ship to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada
dazarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
jminshew

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan
Here's my roof-rack sedan. I have to buy tires pretty soon. When I do I'm painting the steelies white =)

jminshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #27
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I posted my home built rear rack today but I agree with the member that likes the hidden hitch. Mine isn't, but its cheaper. With my bike on I'm averaging 42.3 MPG week after week on the work commute. It costs too much to park at work so I bike in the last mile. From the posted pics you can see how I load and unload the rear hatch area without pulling the rack.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #28
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris prime View Post
I have a hitch-mounted rack (currently too late for pics).
FYI, a hitch rack is the only way to go. Get the Curt rack like this one from the link (this one is for the LB) because it is easier to mount than the other brands as it uses mounting holes that are not way up under the rear bumper cover. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~11050.h...cleid=20077987
I have installed many hitches on vehicles and this was one of the easiest by far. It is well hidden, too.
FYI this part 11050 fits my 2010 5 door perfectly.

rear rack is the way to go, more aero
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #29
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
As has been mentioned, not only is a roof rack anything but invisible, but it creates an MPG hit of 5% or more.

My solution for transporting mountain bikes is a Class 1 Hidden Hitch and a 2 bike rack. The one I have is made by Yakima but I recommend Thule instead, as Yakima does not support Class 1 hitches and I had to cut off the end of their tongue to make it fit into the hitch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes-on-back.jpg (158.0 KB, 388 views)

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #30
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
The one I have is made by Yakima but I recommend Thule instead, as Yakima does not support Class 1 hitches and I had to cut off the end of their tongue to make it fit into the hitch.
no longer correct. Yakima has hitch racks that fit either 2" or 1 1/4" class I in the same box.

I just got a curt 11050, and a Yakima double down, and it slapped right on no issues
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #31
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
no longer correct. Yakima has hitch racks that fit either 2" or 1 1/4" class I in the same box.

I just got a curt 11050, and a Yakima double down, and it slapped right on no issues
Oh, nice! Good to know. I sent them a gripe mail at the time I installed and they responded that they had no plans to support Class 1 hitches "as the market for them is so small".

I guess they discovered they were wrong about that and that Thule was kicking their butt in this segment.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestion about how I could transport my MTB with my new Yaris? The manual recommends that I don't install a hitch. Which isn't preferable anyway, I like the unaltered looks ;-)
I was wondering if there is a roof rack out there that could fit the Yaris Liftback...

Thanks, Florin
Yeah, this must have been my first post or something, it sounds kind of stupid, a roof rack alters the looks much more than a hidden hitch, which I ended up going with, anyways

Here it is: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7431

Brian, those bikes on your car kick @ss!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #33
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
my bike rack

i installed fork clamps along the side rails, and use a small u-channel with a velcro strap to secure the rear wheel. leaves the entire 4x6 area free for gear. hitch was $90 shipped, trailer was around $250, but harbor freight has other options in the 100-200 range...

jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #34
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
i installed fork clamps along the side rails, and use a small u-channel with a velcro strap to secure the rear wheel. leaves the entire 4x6 area free for gear. hitch was $90 shipped, trailer was around $250, but harbor freight has other options in the 100-200 range...

harbor freight does have some nice trailers that I was looking at! I wasnt sure if they were DOT approved however.... I thought they were for yard work....

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #35
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
*reserved post*

for my roof rack Im installing by the end of the week.... I fell in love with contraband831 's setup.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #36
FunkyCole

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
The racks for the XA will work
FunkyCole is offline   Reply With Quote