Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
cassiebrighton

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Should I buy a Toyota Yaris Sedan (2008)?

Hello,

I am in discussion (hopefully!) with a private individual to buy (I am the buyer) a used 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S.

It has approximately 95,000 miles, is a second owner car (i.e. the seller is the second owner, the seller bought it from a Toyota dealership in Houston).

The price is slightly below the KBB value for a good condition Yaris with these specs and mileage...how much should I be expected to pay for it?

There is a crack on the windscreen, on the passenger side, thus the windscreen will need to be replaced.

I am planning to take it to a mechanic for an inspection tomorrow....fingers crossed.

I have been looking for a used car, for about $6000-7000 to commute within Houston, TX. I will use it for about 800 miles a month max. Good gas mileage is important, and I know this car gives good gas mileage.

I want to be able to drive it for the next few years without incurring major repair costs, assuming I drive it like it with care.

I am not a mechanic and my knowledge of the mechanics of a car is nil. So if this vehicle, assuming the inspection does not reveal any major issues, is this a good buy?

Are there any issues with this model/year? Anything in particular I should look out for before buying it?

Any thoughts?

Cass
cassiebrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes buy it! Youre making a good move to CYA and have the vehicle inspected by a pro. Follow his recommendations. Even if there are problems I would negotiate with the seller to lower the price so they can be fixed. I wouldn't let problems deter me from buying the BEST CAR ON THE PLANET!

Problems include leaky water pumps indicated by red stains on the underside of the hood and corroded bolts that hold the suspension in the front together, neither of which is likely or should deter you from making a purchase if the price is right.

About the only think that might give you pause is a flood/rebuilt title but you can see that for yourself. You want an "A" title nothing less.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ I agree with everything in Bronsin's post. I bought my 2007 Yaris new in October of 2006. I'm closing in on 300,000 miles, and the only repairs (as opposed to regular maintenance....an area where I have been a little lax) have been the front wheel bearings at about 110,000 miles, and a new alternator at about 159,000 miles. I want to extend this reliability for MANY years, so I bought another Yaris...a new 2014. Toyota did away with hand crank windows on the Yaris (for the U.S.) on the 2015 Yaris. Had to have my hand crank windows . I also wanted a 5 speed manual, and only silver or white. There were only 7 left in the whole country (given these parameters) when I bought my 2014 last month. I had to go out of state...zero in Texas (4 in FL, 1 in TN, 1 in OH, and 1 in IL). I drive the 2014 about once a week...the rest of the time it is in my garage with a cover in place. With this addition, when my 2007 eventually needs a significant repair, prudence can rule the day rather than expediency.

I think the Houston Metro is a great place to own a Yaris (obviously )! The Yaris is capable of MPG numbers that go beyond the EPA numbers, and the flatness of the Houston Metro really lets this capability shine. I get about 40 MPG (a smidge above) combined city and highway. I drive fairly gently, but don't apply hypermiling techniques.

Good luck !
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote