Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #19
RSboyz

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
20% or 35% on all five rear glass pieces will give you a great look.
It's not too dark during the day, and even at night, it's very visible.

1 - Rear Windshield
2 - Left Rear Door Window
3 - Left Rear Door Quarter Window
4 - Right Rear Door Window
5 - Right Rear Door Quarter Window

On a WHITE Yaris, I prefer the tint to be a little lighter so I would personally prefer 35% on all five pieces.

I went with 20% on all five pieces since my car is black.

But this also depends on film your installer is using.

Huber Optik and Madico manufacture high quality films that are ceramic based.

I've included pics below to give you an idea of what 20% looks like during the day and at various angles/shades.

Relatively Clear Day, few clouds

Slight overcast

Clear conditions, sun shining directly at my car

Another angle

Another (great) shot
so you did not tint your front 2 windows? is 20% darker than 35%? cuz i always think the highter the % then darker it is. maybe im wrong again haha im still confused about these things till now. by the way your tint looks great.
RSboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
5% tint....do it big playa

On a serious note, 5% are really hard to see out at night you have to be putting down your windows 24/7 at night but they are excellent during the day and keep the Yaris cool. Living in miami with a black and charcoal interior yaris its tough but its handy when no one can see inside.
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #21
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSboyz
so you did not tint your front 2 windows? is 20% darker than 35%? cuz i always think the highter the % then darker it is. maybe im wrong again haha im still confused about these things till now. by the way your tint looks great.

I did NOT tint my front door windows. I believe you can get away with 50% tint on the front windows but I would be careful.

The lower the percentage, the darker it is.
So 20% is darker than 35%, you are correct.

The number actually represents the amount of light that passes through the film/tinted area. Or inversely, it also represents the amount of light that is blocked (5% of light ALLOWED = 95% of light BLOCKED)

So 5% means you are only allowing 5% of the light to pass through, hence you are blocking 95% of the light source.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #22
RSboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
I did NOT tint my front door windows. I believe you can get away with 50% tint on the front windows but I would be careful.

The lower the percentage, the darker it is.
So 20% is darker than 35%, you are correct.

The number actually represents the amount of light that passes through the film/tinted area. Or inversely, it also represents the amount of light that is blocked (5% of light ALLOWED = 95% of light BLOCKED)

So 5% means you are only allowing 5% of the light to pass through, hence you are blocking 95% of the light source.
icic! i like how your back 2 windows look in your first picture which is under the relatively clear day. i want it to look like that all around bcuz i dont like having 2 tint but when you show me the picture in a sunny day, they look too dark cuz i cant even see the inside. so i guess i will go with 35% all windows. but what % would you prefer on the rear hatch? 35 also?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #23
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoEKuZ
before and after pics..i got 20% all around...
Now that looks just PERFECT to me!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #24
RSboyz

okay so i finally got my windows tinted at 35% all around today and i have to say i am amazed with the results! thanks for all you guy posting those valuable info to me.

one thing my tinted guy told me is that i need to BAKE my car in the sun for like 1 or 2 days to get those bubbles out of the tint. im scared that what if those bubbles still exist after 2 days? my tint guy they should just disappear after 1-2 days if you leave it in the sun but bcuz this is my first time tinting a car so im like all new to this and how should i clean the inside of my windows from now on? do i just clean it as normal or there is some special stuff i have to use? so please help me out again :) thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 AM   #25
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayside
I have 35% LLumar all around.

Attachment 1322

Good choice.

The mobile tinters that first did mine told me they used 35% Llumar ATR CH film, but I didn't believe them and they even put a scratche on each of my rear quarter windows.

I went to an authorized Llumar dealer / installer today and they told me that the mobile tinter jerks put some generic film on my Yaris and it was more like 15% ~ 20%. That's why I couldn't see anything out my rear windows at night.

This authorized dealer showed me the real 35% Llumastar ATR CH film and that's what I got. Very nice. It looks almost clear from the inside, but still blocks UV rays and some heat, but from outside it looks kinda dark.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:48 AM   #26
RSboyz

i cant believe the tint made such a huge difference to the car! personally i think 35% is just right for a white yaris which what i have. i just hope those bubbles on the windows after now would go away like my tint guy said after baking it in the sun for 2 days.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #27
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
The bubbles can take anywhere from 2 days to a week to "bake" out. If the daytime temps. are starting to drop (like they are now here in Vegas), it can take even longer.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #28
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You shouldn't really have bubbles. There should be liquid trapped behind the film which will evaporate over a few days. Being in the sun helps, of course. Don't roll the windows down for a few days and don't touch it! Treat it like wet paint.

I can't believe they didn't give you instructions on cleaning. No ammonia cleaners (like windex). There are several commercially available. My tint guy said to use baby shampoo in water. I've used that Invisible Glass on the outside and it works well. I haven't used it on the tint yet but it claims to be safe for tint.

Last edited by Violin; 09-16-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #29
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
I got "Hi-Cool R20" all-over .. it's nice & very private
under the sunlight .. a bit clear under the shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mhero5.jpg (12.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg f_sticker1.jpg (6.8 KB, 105 views)
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #30
xfatefailsx07
Lean Wit It. Rock Wit It.

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan - 5 Speed
you tinted your windshield? your nuts...you would get pulled over in 2 seconds where i live....

looks really cool though
xfatefailsx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #31
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatefailsx07
you tinted your windshield? your nuts...you would get pulled over in 2 seconds where i live....

looks really cool though
When I was in the US, my NEON didn't tint .. nice view ... clear
I understand your point, tint the windshield makes it harder while drivin'
.... if you sit in my car, you'd not say that 'coz it doesn't make that
much difference .. even at nite!

Some ppl tint 80% black all over; ie. police cars. They want noone
to see thru or know how they look like ...
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #32
silvermeca

Drives: Silver Meca S Sedan
What do you guys think about silver tinting? I have a silver mica sports sedan, was thinking of getting silver tinted windows. Hoping that with the silver body and chrome trimmings, I can get the effect of a "silver bullet" streaking down the highway.

Can't seem to find any decent photos of silver tint on a silver body. Somebody told me that it might look too tacky. Not sure how the rear window defroster would appear through the silver backing as well. Any suggestions?
silvermeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I personally don't like it at all

looks cheap
Old 09-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #34
MWill517

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Barcelona Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermeca
What do you guys think about silver tinting?
You may want to check your local tint laws on silver. Most states have laws that not only govern the percent of light transmision, but also the percent of reflectivity. But that is only if remaining leagal is of concern.
MWill517 is offline   Reply With Quote