Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Pattycake

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Pattycake
60K Mile Maintenance

Just curious, has anyone done their 60K mile maintenance yet? If so, what maintenance things have you done? Should I just follow the maintenance guide?
Pattycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Yes.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Add this to the list:
If you never did this I would change the trans/axle fluid. Also see if toyota has a water pump lube and conditioner to get that LL coolant to 100K w/o the pump failing. my 05 rav pump seal gave out at 60K - it shouldnt have.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Im getting closer to that 60k mark. Would you know the exact list of tasks that the schedule calls for?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
60k requires a oil change and tire rotation and thats about it.... Cost about 300 or more dollars at the dealer or about 30 or so dollars at a local independent shop.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Add this to the list:
If you never did this I would change the trans/axle fluid. Also see if toyota has a water pump lube and conditioner to get that LL coolant to 100K w/o the pump failing. my 05 rav pump seal gave out at 60K - it shouldnt have.
There is no reason to do this at 60,000 miles, and doing so is a waste of time, and money.

Better to go with the owners manual and you'll see that the trans need not get flushed/fluid replaced until 100,000 miles. And no need to worry about the water pump. Just go with the manual and you'll be fine.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I don't know for you guys, but a transmission drain and fill service is required for us Canucks at 96000km's. (aka 60K miles).
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I don't know for you guys, but a transmission drain and fill service is required for us Canucks at 96000km's. (aka 60K miles).
And in my opinion you will be better off for it. IIRC my manual doesn't even mention checking the fluid until 100 or 120k. I checked mine 4 miles up the road from the dealer the day I drove it off the lot..

I will do relatively frequent drain and fills. They are very inexpensive insurance for the DIYer. "Lifetime Fills" have more to do with marketing than engineering and anyone in their automotive relationship for the long haul would be well served by a little service once in a while.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
For what years Yaris?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
And in my opinion you will be better off for it. IIRC my manual doesn't even mention checking the fluid until 100 or 120k. I checked mine 4 miles up the road from the dealer the day I drove it off the lot..

I will do relatively frequent drain and fills. They are very inexpensive insurance for the DIYer. "Lifetime Fills" have more to do with marketing than engineering and anyone in their automotive relationship for the long haul would be well served by a little service once in a while.

R2
You cant do drain and fill on our transmission. They specifically state that the new type of transmission fluid in our cars can not be mixed with used/new has to be 100 percent replaced IE use a transmission flush machine.

Also draining the transmission only gets out about 3-4 quarts. The torque converters on our cars probally hold another 9-10 more quarts. So you are just diluting it. Its still going to be dirty. Put it this way. Take a cup of water. And put some mud in it. Its going to look brown. Then drain only a quarter of the water out and fill it with fresh clean water. Its still going to look brown. You wouldnt want to drink it until its 100 percent poored out and refilled with fresh clean water.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

I'm not going to drink it-I'm going to use it to keep a transmission alive. In the service manual it says nothing about mixing new or used fluid. By the logic above you could never top up-you would have to flush the trans if the level was low. The manual says to just top up. Also if the valve body needs to be removed according the service manual the pan is put back on and refilled-there is no mention of flushing the transmission ever unless unusually high levels of sediment are found.

There is a TSB out that warns against REUSING fluid that has been removed from the trans or possibly contaminated but that's just common sense. It also warns to keep WS tightly sealed as the fluid is hydrophilic like brake fluid.

The U340E holds 7.2 qts total and 3.1 qts in the pan so a drain and fill replaces nearly half the fluid volume which performed fairly regularly should keep the fluid pretty clean and much cleaner than never replacing it. If the fluid dosen't possess the despersancy to keep a considerable amount of contamination in suspension with drain and fills it certainly has no business being a "for life" product.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 11-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
How transmission gets dirty?

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Not really "dirty" in the traditional sense but "contaminated" with friction material from clutches, wear metals and eventually the base fluid will oxidize and become acidic.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
SilverGlow
Banned

There is never a need to top-off the auto tranny fluid. If the fluid needs topping off, then there is a leak someplace.

The correct maintenence on our auto-trannies is to remove all the fluid and replace it in it's entirety with fresh WS fluid, and this is best done with a special machine.

100,000 miles is the time to do it...50,000 thereafter, per the manual.

Stop with all this BS that runs contra to the manual already!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Silverglow,

The intent of my posts were not to anger anyone. If you read my posts I made it clear the manual for my 2009 indicates to check the transmission fluid at either 100k or 120k (I can never remember which but I've got plenty of time to look it up again before I hit that kind of mileage). For my 09 that's it-its lifetime fluid and Toyota dosen't recommend changing it. I then voiced what MY intent is which is to do drain and fills. I then quoted the service manual regarding top up and valve body removal as examples that no mention is made in literature I can find that indicates a complete flush is required vs just adding new fluid. In other words I have seen no mention anywhere in my materials of the fact "new and unused" ws can't be added to ws that's already in use in the tranny. If anyone can point me toward where this is written and it applies to my 09 I will stand corrected and will be most appreciative.

Let me also restate I realize there is NO recommended transmission maintenance for my 09 other than inspection of the ATF at 100k or so and apologize if I confused anyone.

R2
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 11-14-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Question:

Is drain and flush also done on manuals?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Question:

Is drain and flush also done on manuals?
Changing the manual transmission fluid is no more complex than changing the engine oil:

1) Unscrew FILL plug on transmission first to make sure you can refill it later.
2) Unscrew DRAIN plug on transmission.
3) Wait until it's done gushing, drizzling, and finally dripping.
4) Put DRAIN plug back in. Torque with torque wrench.
5) Fill with 75W-90 GL4 or 75W-90 GL5 gear oil (CHECK YOUR MANUAL/DEALERSHIP FOR TYPE) until it dribbles out the fill hole.
6) Put FILL plug back in. Torque with torque wrench.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #18
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
You cant do drain and fill on our transmission. They specifically state that the new type of transmission fluid in our cars can not be mixed with used/new has to be 100 percent replaced IE use a transmission flush machine.

Also draining the transmission only gets out about 3-4 quarts. The torque converters on our cars probally hold another 9-10 more quarts. So you are just diluting it. Its still going to be dirty. Put it this way. Take a cup of water. And put some mud in it. Its going to look brown. Then drain only a quarter of the water out and fill it with fresh clean water. Its still going to look brown. You wouldnt want to drink it until its 100 percent poored out and refilled with fresh clean water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Changing the manual transmission fluid is no more complex than changing the engine oil:

1) Unscrew FILL plug on transmission first to make sure you can refill it later.
2) Unscrew DRAIN plug on transmission.
3) Wait until it's done gushing, drizzling, and finally dripping.
4) Put DRAIN plug back in. Torque with torque wrench.
5) Fill with 75W-90 GL4 or 75W-90 GL5 gear oil (CHECK YOUR MANUAL/DEALERSHIP FOR TYPE) until it dribbles out the fill hole.
6) Put FILL plug back in. Torque with torque wrench.
Thanks for the instructions Wolf, I ask because it means whether I do it myself or give it to a mechanic-- the need for flush that is. If I don't need a flush, I would just go a head and do it myself.