Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
This thread haz revolutions...

wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #20
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Actually, no. You are correct about the tires rotating different per mile depending on the diameter. But that doesn't apply to the rotors. The rotors will ALWAYS rotate at the same revolutions per mile as the tires!!! This is because the rotors are attached to the wheels. The wheels to the ground.
kinda true. the rotor center will spin at the same revolutions per mile as the tire but the speed of the rotor outer edge (the part that the pad hits) in relation to the pads themselves would be spining at a different speed then stock.

objects on the same shaft will have the same angular velocity but if they are different size they will have different linear velocity.

this is a tough subject seeing as the speed of the wheel is controlled by the shaft and the wheel on the road controls the speed (miles) at which the car is travelling.

you cannot use revolutions per mile to compare, my school website is down so i cant get to my notes or i would be able to tell you exactly what the linear velocity in relation to the brake pads would be.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #21
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Yeah, that's what I posted earlier about the angular velocity compared to the linear at the rotor edge.

I'm sure the OP is wondering what happened to his thread. :-)
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #22
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I posted earlier about the angular velocity compared to the linear at the rotor edge.

lol, atleast it didnt turn into an oil thread.... lol. everyone on YW kept themselves in check.

im excited to see how the new disks work out. maybe even some pics of them mounted. i would be very interested in a set as my rims look naked inside.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #23
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Seems like 10" discs brakes front AND back would fix the 2200 lb Yaris nicely...and kit for that?
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Actually, no. You are correct about the tires rotating different per mile depending on the diameter. But that doesn't apply to the rotors. The rotors will ALWAYS rotate at the same revolutions per mile as the tires!!! This is because the rotors are attached to the wheels. The wheels to the ground.
You did not understand what I put. Obviously the tire & the rotor rotate the same revolutions. My point in using the tire calculator is cause you can use a taller tire or shorter tire which would apply to a rotor with a 12" diameter (taller) or 10" diameter (shorter). My point is no mater what it is a tire, a rotor anything with a circumference, the bigger it is the slower it rotates, the smaller it is the faster it rotates.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #25
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
You did not understand what I put. Obviously the tire & the rotor rotate the same revolutions. My point in using the tire calculator is cause you can use a taller tire or shorter tire which would apply to a rotor with a 12" diameter (taller) or 10" diameter (shorter). My point is no mater what it is a tire, a rotor anything with a circumference, the bigger it is the slower it rotates, the smaller it is the faster it rotates.
I get what you're saying, I just think you're using the wrong terminology. No offense, so don't take this as me being a d**k. When you say "rotates faster" or "rotates slower" you're referring to angular velocity, or the RPM's.

Look at it like what a previous poster said. If something has a set angular velocity (let's say 2,000 rpm), then you can determine the linear velocity at different points away from the center. The linear velocity at a point away from the center is (omega) * (r). (Omega) is the angular velocity, (r) is the radius. Looking at that basic equation, the larger diameter has a larger linear velocity than the smaller diameter since (omega) remains constant.

Tires and the rolling diameter is a different can of peanuts because they are driven from the center and the outer diameter.

Again, I'm just trying to help confusion, and not be a blankity-blank.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #26
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
after reading this post, i think i have just been mind raped...

Last edited by ilikerice; 04-24-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: inappropiate for childeren
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
I get what you're saying, I just think you're using the wrong terminology. No offense, so don't take this as me being a d**k. Again, I'm just trying to help confusion, and not be a blankity-blank.
I take no offence whats so ever with what you are saying. Im not like some people here that cant have civilize conversations without getting pissed. Its hard for me to explain what Im trying to say, and maybe Im am using the wrong teminology. My basic argument is that the larger the rotor the slower it spins. Think of this, on a supercharger, if you want more boost, you need to spin the S/C more & that is done with a smaller pulley. If you want less boost you run a larger pulley.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
I take no offence whats so ever with what you are saying. Im not like some people here that cant have civilize conversations without getting pissed. Its hard for me to explain what Im trying to say, and maybe Im am using the wrong teminology. My basic argument is that the larger the rotor the slower it spins. Think of this, on a supercharger, if you want more boost, you need to spin the S/C more & that is done with a smaller pulley. If you want less boost you run a larger pulley.
I get what you are saying and thinking about. But you're thinking it the wrong way still. See, tires and pulleys have a relationship between the outer diameter and the inner shaft. A large tire/pulley having a linear speed of 15 feet/sec will have a slow angular velocity (revolutions per minute). A small tire/pulley with the same 15 feet/sec will have a LARGER angular velocity. So yes, you are 100% correct with all of that.

However, a rotor is totally different. It's not driven by the outer diameter, and the outer diameter doesn't DO anything to the system like a pulley (belt driven) or tire (road driven).

Umm, do you have a ceiling fan at home? If so, try this. Turn the fan on low so you can see the blades spinning. Lay on your back, and look up. Point your finger at the inner tip of the blades. Move your finger to follow the blades as you watch it with your eye (sorry, close one eye). Notice how your finger/hand is moving slowly to keep up. Now follow a point on the outer tip of the blade. If you're doing it right, your hand should be moving a lot faster to keep your finger on that point.

Another way to try it is a merry-go-round. Standing close to the center, you can notice you don't feel like you're spinning very fast. But when you go to the outer edge, you can tell you are spinning a lot faster.

I can understand the confusion, I honestly can. When I took classes on this stuff, I could see people getting confused until they ran some numbers or played with toys or something. I'm an engineer with over 3 years experience designing transmissions. Hopefully I've helped some. I agree, I hate people on forums who get pissed and yell. So I appreciate you not yelling at me.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
Quote:

lol, no not really, its good conversation and some valid points. i know not everyone understands the math behind angular and linear velocity so carry on.

yes i am also glad it hasnt turned into an oil thread yet

i know the hub bores are not the same size and i measured the play in the stud holes and the rotor can only move .003 in any direction and .oo3 off center doesnt bother me.

its been raining here for a few days but ill try to get some more pics tomorrow, they do fill the wheel up nicely.

as for brake function at slower speeds just cruising around town they feel stock, but at higher speeds and pedal effort it stops, it stops very well. i cannot really quantify it or anything but i can say it stops alot faster when you need to, i will still have to see how the next track day goes but as of right now i have to say best upgrade thus far
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
yaris2010RS

how much was the kit? and i am more worried about the wheel feeling off balance because of the .003 (inch) give of play
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #31
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
TAG

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
how much was the kit? and i am more worried about the wheel feeling off balance because of the .003 (inch) give of play
ive had it sitting around, took it off a ctr that we put stock brakes back onto to run smaller wheels, owner didnt want them back.

i was looking around and ive seen used kits for sale on honda forums for $100-$200.

ive already had it on the highway and various speeds up to 90 and no vibrations. so balance doesnt seem to be an issue
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #33
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
If the Calipers mount at the same points or at the same distance from the Axle Center, there is no difference in the braking at all, so nothing changes except the size of the rotors.... That'd be absolutely pointless... Hope the Caliper mounts are away from stock, and SECURE. Just my 2cents...
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #34
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
So what gen civic was the BBK off of?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
The extra rotor diameter will at least give you more mass to absorb heat and more surface area to sink it away. Useful in racing.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #36
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Where's the OP with a final review, how are things holding up so far?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote