Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
speeding in Ontario warning!!!!

at 0001 tonight, if your caught traveling 50km/h over the limit, your car will be impounded, $2000 fine, and 1 week suspension, on the spot!!!!

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/261778

Last edited by punch; 09-29-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add a link
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I wouldn't mind the new law it wasn't for all these questionable OOP types from the back-water township waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting Torontonian. I can just see it now, an unsuspecting minatory (or youth) taking a cruise up north to enjoy the scenic Autumn colors, suddenly pulled over because he's from Toronto and fits the profile, only to be left on the roadside while a tow-truck is called-in to take his car away and having to prove himself innocent at some mom-and-pop court house in the middle of nowhere.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Put in photo radar again and get the roads under control.

If you're going 50 over any speed limit, you should never be allowed to drive again. This idea that driving is a right is way out of hand.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Finally some better and more tough speeding laws. 50kms over the limit is ridiculous, irresponsible, and just plain stupid.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
alhope34
Spool'd

I just saw on the news, the OPP said within 8 hours they had 24 cars impounded! Finally some sanity is brought to Ontario's streets. I'm glad to see so many people caught already, maybe it will teach them not to be speeding idiots risking everybody's life.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
voodoo22

That's sweet, I hope they keep enforcing this with extreme prejudice and that the numbers only go down because people are driving the speed limit and not because enforcement becomes few and far between.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
alhope34
Spool'd

Yea, I hope they keep the constant enforcement too. A year ago I almost signed up for the police foundations course, too bad I didn't. If I clocked someone going 5 over, I'd ticket them. Especially those stupid security guard drivers that go 160 on the 401 talking and texting on their phones. Arg...this speeding idiocy just annoys me. I don't like it when someone else thinks they should choose my safety level when I am going for a drive or walking down the sidewalk.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I've got an issue with the new Law. I don't like the fact the cops can exact punishment before you're had your day at court. The over 50km/hr law was already an automatic suspension. But before, you had a chance to prove your innocent or if the cop really thought you were a dangerous driver, they could show up to court and get your lisenced suspended. Now, the cop can exact punishment without the need for a trial. Granted, with DUI, there's equipment in place to prove that you're over the limit, but with this new law, the cop can simply suspended your license cause he thought you took a turn too fast or you were weaving on the highway. It's his discretion and he can exact punishment on the spot.

Awhile ago, I was avoiding a few pothole while staying in my lane and got pulled over for weaving. With this new law, I'd have my car impounded (pound fee and towing charges comes out of my pocket), my licensed suspended on the spot, unable to work for 2 weeks (since work requires me to drive), pay $150.00 to re-reinstate my licenses and have a suspended license recorded on my file for all the insurance company to see. After all that, I'll get my chance at court and would probably win it, but the damage is already done. So, who pays when I'm found not guilty? Granted, I should pay if I'm doing something stupid, but what if it's the cop who's doing something stupid? And I know from personal experience, while growing up in the worst area in scarborough back in the mid 70's when I was one of the few visibal minority in the area, that there's stupid cops.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I've got an issue with the new Law. I don't like the fact the cops can exact punishment before you're had your day at court. The over 50km/hr law was already an automatic suspension. But before, you had a chance to prove your innocent or if the cop really thought you were a dangerous driver, they could show up to court and get your lisenced suspended. Now, the cop can exact punishment without the need for a trial. Granted, with DUI, there's equipment in place to prove that you're over the limit, but with this new law, the cop can simply suspended your license cause he thought you took a turn too fast or you were weaving on the highway. It's his discretion and he can exact punishment on the spot.

Awhile ago, I was avoiding a few pothole while staying in my lane and got pulled over for weaving. With this new law, I'd have my car impounded (pound fee and towing charges comes out of my pocket), my licensed suspended on the spot, unable to work for 2 weeks (since work requires me to drive), pay $150.00 to re-reinstate my licenses and have a suspended license recorded on my file for all the insurance company to see. After all that, I'll get my chance at court and would probably win it, but the damage is already done. So, who pays when I'm found not guilty? Granted, I should pay if I'm doing something stupid, but what if it's the cop who's doing something stupid? And I know from personal experience, while growing up in the worst area in scarborough back in the mid 70's when I was one of the few visibal minority in the area, that there's stupid cops.
If people would drive the speed limit and keep a safe distance from other drivers there would be far less deaths and accidents on our roads.

I think your fears are far out weighed by the need to really do something about the lack of respect on the road for other peoples safety. While a stupid cops could have screwed up your life if they had inappropriately imposed this new law on you, the stupid drivers are ending peoples lives.

I personally would implement photo radar on all 400 series highways. Then you would have no influence from stupid cops. Just do like they do in many provinces where the owner of the vehicle pays the ticket, but no points or demerits are issued against a specific driver. I don't think the police want to do this, because this measure would reduce the need for traffic police and fancy airplanes flying in the sky. This would mean a smaller budget for the police force which in turn, would mean less political power to hire more police officers and further increase the budget of the OPP. The police want the public to feel they are even more important than they are so that we will fork over money or pressure our politicians to do so. Unfortunately I don't believe photo radar plays to what the police want, so in an imperfect world we get this new law and so far I'm loving it.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
alhope34
Spool'd

I agree people should be pulled over for that pot hole dodging. Cars are designed and meant to go over bumps, if you're in the next lane swerving to avoid a pothole and you hit my car, I'd be really upset. Also most people swerve to go around man hole covers which most of the time have the same hight as a pebble.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #12
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
What will you do when you realize that the manhole has no cover???
Happens all the time in the Far East when people steal the manhole covers for scrap iron.
Won't be surprised if one side of your front suspension gets ripped off!

Only sensible thing to do is slow down and drive cautiously.

Last edited by Benggolf2; 10-19-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Benggolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i've read/heard going 60 over the limit, it's something around 14points, 30days suspended, car is impounded on the spot, and UP TO 10000$ fine.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #14
alhope34
Spool'd

In Ontario it's 50 over, 6 points, $2000-10,000 fine, car impounded for a week and lisense suspended for a week. In Quebec, it's 60 over, $895 ticket, 10 points.

Also, I know from experience in Nova Scotia it's 50 over, 4 points, $395.50 ticket, and 1 week suspension once you are convicted (12 noon of your scheduled court day, as written on your ticket, usually a month after you were caught).

Edit: I was reading some of my previous replies on this year-old thread brought back form the dead thanks to the hacker, and I shouldn't have been so approving of this law. Sure, I've done some stupid things with this car, but it shouldn't give cops the right to decide you are guilty at the side of the road. What happened to our court system? Don't we need it anymore? I've slowed down a lot after getting caught in Nova Scotia, but I always stayed the speed limit inside city limits, anyway.

Last edited by alhope34; 10-20-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
voodoo22

I wouldn't worry about it, the police don't seem to have time to enforce speed limits around the GTA anyways. They're too busy counting the sprinkles on their doughnuts.

I wish this law was tougher. If you're speeding by that margin or weaving in and out of traffic like a nut job, you have no rights in my book, because you're taking away other peoples right to life & safety.

You want to see what a joke our roads are? Check out this website and see if you still think drivers don't have enough rights on the road:

http://gigababy.blogspot.com/
Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
I agree people should be pulled over for that pot hole dodging. Cars are designed and meant to go over bumps
Well... ill tell you this incident. It was nighttime. i was going home and out of nowhere booom -ran over a pothole-. Tire is gone. Just to give you a sense of how it wasnt just my careless driving... shortly after... there was a pileup of about 20 cars or so that did exactly the same thing. The construction company made a hole... covered it with some metal.. over time it slide over and yeah.. Maybe we are all reckless and deserved the hole.. But yea.. Some holes we cant just go over like its all good.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #17
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I'll add here:

This is a fairly old law, and now particularly enforced on Ottawa due to heavy O/C Transpo traffic:

Failure to yield right of way to a bus signalling to merge into trafffic is a $120 fine. The moment the turn signal is on, you are on the hook for a ticket if you fail to stop/slow-down behind it (a red light and rush hour traffic does NOT exclude you from allowing us to merge in). The true nature of the law is that you stay out of our blind spots and not end up cutting us off. We're definitely not very nimble, and when you see the side markers (or rear tail light) blinking, slow down and let us in. All line-run and transit bus drivers run very tight schedules, and merging back into traffic can be one of the biggest losses of time.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
alhope34
Spool'd

I just get pissed seeing every single TTC but off duty going no less than 15km/h over the limit. They, of all people, should know their bus can't stop in time if there is an emergency. I always see them (again, off duty) cutting in and out of lanes no signals, while being at least 15km/h over. TTC drivers once pushed my mom and on a seperate time my friend and I into oncomming traffic just because they decided they want in the lane. When it comes to letting bus drivers in, that is the last thing on my mind. Most of the TTC bus drivers deserve to be suspended.