Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Aah yes, that sounds familiar. What kind of issues did you have with the mounting brackets? I've got another thread around here where I documented the differences between four different gearboxes, and it can be pretty crazy even with the "same" trans model number.
Just to clarify, my C56 came from an AE101 20 valve Levin. So what I had to do may not apply to other C56 boxes from other cars.

I had to drill and tap holes into the C56 centre casing for the end gear box mount. The casting was already thickened up in that area so it was easy to do on a drill press.

The selector lever on the C56 was also different and as the Echo cables don't have any provision for adjustment, that had to be modified as well as the C150 selector didn't work int he C56 box.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your setup! I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but there's a bit of calculus involved: you have to be able to account for the mass of the bar and axle socket and how it changes the load. My plan was to use a small wooden dowel and a calibrated weight from a balance style scale, but the gearbox would be in the "normal" upright position.
That just makes it all too hard. I just used a spring type fishing scale and hooked it over the bar and worked my along until the diff would start to move with 1 pound showing on the scale. If it moved at the 8" mark, then that was a preload of 8 inch pounds. (As an aside, the bolt head on top of the bar, in the middle of that stub axle is used for putting a torque wrench on when measuring the preload on an lsd, so it's a multi purpose tool .)
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
bostssgt

Drives: toyota echo
thanks crankyoldman good info in this!!
thanks rob323 too
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
The selector lever on the C56 was also different and as the Echo cables don't have any provision for adjustment, that had to be modified as well as the C150 selector didn't work int he C56 box.

i'm also in the process of making a c150 - matrix c59 2005 centter housing (already have 3 bolts holes for front transmission mount in a echo) with 4age20v c56 gearset

the shifter selector itself seems to fit well in the c59 housing (exept for the c150 fork selector need to be drilled welded) and shifts all gears by hands without any problem... what was the problem in yours?

my c56 comes from a silvertop and the output shaft bearing on the belhousing side is the same as the c150(echo)

did you guys love the 4.312 final? my tough were also to run a .725 5th but
do the 1nz love that kind of short ratios or it "floats" and won't pull?
my engine is stock but i have a small td04h13t from a genesis on the shelf waiting to be tossed between the firewall and the engine

i have similar gearing in a suzuki swift 2000 north american (suzuki esteem j18 transmission with european swift sport gearing 2007+ .885 5th with 4.4 final) and its mated to a g13b dohc, this engine really like to rev
bostssgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c50, c56, c59, swap, transmission