Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Final Score: LSD 1, Inside Wheel Spin 0

So I just took the new gearbox out for a spin around the block. HOLY CRAP! No inside wheel spin on hard acceleration out of the corners, lots more torque in 2nd gear and it now lands inside the power band between 1-2 shifts. I haven't gotten on the freeway yet, so I haven't been able to test 3-4-5, but I'll take care of that once I'm done getting the steering column aligned again. The steering also feels much more responsive, but that could just be a camber change.

For those of you that haven't been following the saga, check out the back story here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35999
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan

More musings after one 30 mile rural commute and one suburban lunch run.

I'm still getting used to the presence of the LSD, but it makes a huge difference in the corners. I got the tires up going over a railroad crossing, so I felt the difference between open and limited right away. (Helical diffs become open diffs if one wheel has zero traction.) It gets a little twitchy when engine braking, and the steering effort seems more deliberate, but all in all it looks like it's worth the blood sweat and (tears?) money.

The new gear ratios are AMAZING! I can land above 4k RPMs and pull strong in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The taller 5th with the xB final drive seems to be just right for highway cruising now, and isn't completely useless. I still have the factory governor, so the "lost" top speed is irrelevant.

Long story short: if you have the mechanical aptitude and/or funds for either project, DO EEEET!

Next on the list of terrible ideas? Cat-back exhaust!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Amazing you were able to patch those pieces together and make it work. Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan

Thanks! It's been a really fun project, and I've learned a lot in the process. Hopefully someone else can benefit from my adventure, too.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Might have to pick your brain for my coming up build.

How are you liking the quaife?
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Might have to pick your brain for my coming up build.

How are you liking the quaife?
Sure thing. There's lots of stuff documented in the above link, but I should probably do a consolidated build thread. Most of it was just researching part numbers.

The Quaife is very streetable, and responds well in the corners. I've got an AutoX coming up this weekend, so I can really see what it does on the short course.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
kou

Drives: 08 lb
This is awesome. Any chance for a part # and where you got the lsd from.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
So what are the gear ratios you finally ended up with. I saw what was posted on page 1 but I wasn't sure if that's what was used in final assembly.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Will-I-Am

Drives: Toyota Yaris Track prepped
Nice mate! Really looking forward to installing my TRD LSD. Cant wait for it to get on the track. Only thing is that i have to be careful of curb hopping because its a helical like you said and it becomes an open diff.

Tell me about your findings when you did an Auto-X
Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
This is awesome. Any chance for a part # and where you got the lsd from.
The LSD is a Quaife QDF15E, from THMotorsports. There's a few other distributors, but the price difference is negligible. It's more expensive than the KAAZ but less expensive than the OS Giken (both are clutch-types). If you aren't set on a helical type, the KAAZ would be a good way to go on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
So what are the gear ratios you finally ended up with. I saw what was posted on page 1 but I wasn't sure if that's what was used in final assembly.
I'll have to dig up the piece of paper that I wrote it all down on, but I think it was the ratios listed in this post. The following post shows the new gear ratio spreads vs stock, which should give you an idea of why I chose the ratios that I did. There are a few other ratios available for 1, 3, 4 and 5 if you're interested in theorycrafting a gearbox for a specific track or non-stock power curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-I-Am View Post
Nice mate! Really looking forward to installing my TRD LSD. Cant wait for it to get on the track. Only thing is that i have to be careful of curb hopping because its a helical like you said and it becomes an open diff.

Tell me about your findings when you did an Auto-X
As long as your mechanic is competent and can follow the repair manual, you shouldn't have any problems with getting it set up. I got into some gravel on a curve today and got the diff to run open, but it hooked right up once it got back to clean pavement. The only issues I really see is the way the wheel reacts to mashing the gas pedal mid-curve: I think it wants to lock the front axle and go in whatever direction you were last pointing in.

Either way, I'll try and post my findings by the end of the weekend.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Helical, so like a Torsen, right? If that's the case, a little feathering of the brake would do to keep diff pulling, yes?
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Helical, so like a Torsen, right? If that's the case, a little feathering of the brake would do to keep diff pulling, yes?
Yes and yes, but I don't know how to left-foot brake yet. =)
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Well if it's any encouragement, it took me 3 months and 5,000 km in two cars to get confident with left foot braking. Not much trouble at all.

No more steering wheel headbutts.

Last edited by sheekeebut; 09-18-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
sheekeebut
Minimalist

And with your diff, I bet it would be like the REAL Yaris coming to life.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
kou

Searched for the quaife diff. It is a little pricey so I went with the TRD LSD which I just ordered for nearly half the price at $690.44 its a mechanical diff the same as the quaife which means cheaper maintenance and should be pretty strong.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

Well, ran the autoX today. Can't really report much as it was a REALLY dirty course and it rained just before our heat. Of the 4 runs, I had one ABS-related error, one cone, one spin/DNF and one clean run. I was still able to break the tires loose on corners--which given the surface conditions might be expected--but overall it seemed to be better behaved. I also didn't spend any time chasing tire pressure, so that may have been a contributing factor. There were also some strange grinding noises when the tires broke loose on a straightaway, but that could just be the noise a helical makes when engaging under low/lost traction.

The final drive mod is absolutely amazing for our car! I launched in 1st and then hit 2nd by the second gate. Kept it in 2nd the rest of the way and had no lack of power or redline conditions the whole course. YMMV, of course, depending on the track.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I can beat TH Motorsports every time
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
kou

Just got my TRD lsd and it is a clutch.

Tags
final drive, gear ratio, lsd, swap, wheelspin