Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Tokiko

Drives: '93 Chevy Cavalier
Send a message via AIM to Tokiko
Yaris Questions

Hello all, I'm new to the forums, and have been trying to do as much research as possible on which car would be my ideal first car. I really like the gas mileage available on the yarises, and would love to get honest opinions from people before I nail down exactly which car would suit best.

I've been driving a '93 Cavalier since my grandparents moved to South Carolina back in the late '90's. I really do like this car, but it seems to be on its last legs.
From what I've seen and looked into, it seems Toyotas across the board do really awesome on gas mileage, and although I'm by no means a car expert, I kinda had my eyes set on either a Yaris or a Corolla.

Yesterday I took an impromptu drive to a local Toyota dealer just to get added info on both models, and the dealer made things quite difficult. Making it clear that I was going to be starting a new job in 2 weeks, I told the guy that I was just looking to get his opinion on which direction I should go, and instantaneously he said that -- not only would the Corolla be a better car, but that I "had to make my decision within a 12-hour window to take advantage of the deal he was able to strike directly with Toyota."

This was pretty disheartening because it really seemed like the dealer wasn't listening to me, whatsoever.

I have lots of questions I'd love to ask the members here...
So I guess I'll just start off asking these few:

Why did you pick a Yaris, specifically?
What would make the Corolla such a "better" car than the Yaris?
I understand the Hatch version is cheaper than the Sedan, but why else would the Yaris hatch be popular?

I've got a lot of questions in mind, still... but I figured this would be a good start and way of saying hello. ^^
Tokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I will start by saying I don't currently own a Yaris yet, but I plan to. I currently have a '99 Corolla which I love, but my daughter wants it when she turns 16 next year, so I will need to replace it. I was thinking about replacing it with the current generation Corolla, but one test drive and I quickly realized the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough to allow my 6' frame to get comfortable. The Yaris has more leg room than the Corolla up front, which is part of the reason I've decided on it. Even if you're small enough to fit in the front seat of a Corolla, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the better car. Both the Corolla and the Yaris are leaps and bounds better than the Crapalier (sorry for the pun, but those things are horrible cars), and the only way you can determine which car is the best for you is to test drive them and choose the one you like best. You can't go wrong with either car.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
1st off he was tryin' to get to buy a Corrola as they are not selling as well as a Yaris is, the 2 door liftback are hot right now . They can't keep them on the lot . A guy at work after he seen mine ,priced out a 2 door yaris L/B one day , went back the next day to get it & the dealer wanted 1000$ more for the same car . i picked a Yaris L/B due to gas mileage/style/looks/room ( more leg room than a Corrola, i had a Corrola ) /the hatch back / all the mods you can do to the car / 2 doors /handeling way better than anything in it's price range and AGIN GAS MILEAGE / AND the fact i've owned 6 Toyota's and all were very dependable most important it's a very COOL Car ! Check out my ride in "my garage" under my forum name

Last edited by black2yaris; 07-28-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: add comment
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Hello and welcome!

I wanted to buy into Toyota. Their reliability was the key, plus this was just when Toyota was really starting to cement itself as the number one automaker in the world. I was looking to shift from my late 90's Cadillac into something more fuel efficient. I was originally looking for a used vehicle, specifically a late 90's Celica. I bought the Yaris because of the low monthly payment and the fact that it was so good on gas.

I don't believe this to be true at all. All I can say is that you have to keep in mind that to a dealership the Corolla is the better car because their profit margin on the Yaris is almost nonexistent. Toyota isn't selling the Yaris to make money. They are selling it to get entry level buyers into Toyotas so when they're ready to trade it in or get a new car they are more apt to decide on a higher-end Toyota. It is similar to their goal with Scion. 80% of all Scion owners go on to buy Toyota or Lexus. They're banking on the same with this car.

I understand the Hatch version is cheaper than the Sedan, but why else would the Yaris hatch be popular?

It is unique. The sedan looks a bit like the Corolla to me. The liftback also has an insane amount of cargo space for such a small car when you fold the rear seats down. I think between the aesthetics and the cargo space it makes the liftback quite alluring. The allure of the sedan rests with the fact that it has 4 doors, which comes in handy for the kids. The liftback is more a single passenger type of car. Think of it as a versatile 2 seater.

Be persistent and don't let them talk you out of what you want. If you want a Yaris, find it and buy it!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiko View Post

Gas mileage,and it looks better in my opinion than the other sub-compacts out,its a toyota.

Not sure,looks a little bigger.

Beats me,the sedan is obviously far superior
^^
Old 07-29-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i chose the sedan because it's something i can afford, great gas mileage (best so far was 51 mpg), and i carpool a lot, so i needed the extra two doors. otherwise, i would gotten the LB because there are more mods available for it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:

Looks, Gas mileage, LB for hauling, Toyota dependability, seating position comfort

Maybe better standard options but not really better car just looks like everything else IMO.

Looks and hauling capacity
If I didn't need a rear seat and hauling capacity I would have bought a used Spyder!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Tokiko

Drives: '93 Chevy Cavalier
Send a message via AIM to Tokiko
Thank you everyone for your replies!

A lot of my first questions may have sounded obvious or pointless, but I was really taken aback by the dealer's approach when I went there. I apologize for the really basic questions, but I got home from work kind of late last night and was like "Aw hell, I'm going to post here, too!"

Anyway, about that experience:

I had some errands to do-- ironically, not intentionally-- across the street from the closest Toyota dealer, in my area. I got done rather early, and was rather surprised. When I went to get back in my car, to drive home, I looked across the street and noticed that the Toyota dealership had a new name/owner, and that people were just filtering in to work. Three dealers were standing outside drinking coffee, and I started talking to the one that got off his cell-phone first.

I asked the guy some questions, and told him my current situation. The fact that my current car ('93 Cavalier) had just passed it's last inspection, BUT they found chassis corrosion or whatever else that would potentially cripple my current car by the next time inspections rolled around, etc... all came up BEFORE I even mentioned what model I was looking for information on.

After telling the guy that I was in no way a car-expert, and then trying to act like one... (lol).... I said I was looking at a Toyota, specifically a Yaris, and asked his opinion of the model and what HE thought I should go for.

The first words out of his mouth? "You don't want a Yaris, man! You'll need all the leg-room you can get. Plus I can show you a car that has what you're looking for (ABS, gas mileage, mainly) for the same price as the Yaris, and it won't take packages to get them, either. (He was talking about the Corolla LE).

Now I knew that the Yaris didn't have ABS standard, and since I live in "upstate" New York, I was pretty much going to have to get both the winter-weather and power packages just to get a viable Yaris for this area. The guy kept trying to stress to me that the Corolla's 0.2 difference in Liter capacity between their respective engines. (Yaris has 1.5 v. Corolla's 1.7).

Now don't get me wrong, but I have no idea what that difference means. But let's put this into some sort of perspective I thought made sense. I don't know if that means how many liters of fuel run through the car at once, or what. But if you handed me a bottle of soda and it was only 20% full, I could most likely easily drink it without having to stop to catch my breath. 0.2 of a Liter? Someone's got to make some sense of that to me, because I can't see inflating the base ticket price to over $17k just to get ABS standard and to have 0.2 difference in anything.

Nonetheless, I let the guy talk and eventually he's like "Hey, lets let you take one of the Corollas for a drive." So I get in the car, and not only did the seat not go back far, but my legs were almost pinned under the steering wheel! Yeah, it was adjustable and all, but I could still feel the wheel glancing off of my legs while I wasn't pressing down on a pedal.

The guy pointed out how quiet the Corolla was, how the A/C turned on "instantly," and a few other things as I took it for a short spin for a few blocks, and back. When we got back to the dealer's lot, he was all ready to have me have my credit rating checked out, and unbeknownst to me....

To offer me a "one-time, deal" that he was able to negotiate "directly with Toyota"... (as if he had their corporate HQ on-call and put some director in Tokyo on hold) till he put me under the gun and tried to get me to sign a makeshift contract he drew up on the back of the "Toyota Guest Sheet."

To tell the truth, I have no idea what he was smoking. Not only did he instantaneously try and talk me out of a Yaris, he inflated the price of the car over $17,000-- and told me he would be able to get me a remarkable deal for this "nearly $20k Corolla..." (wait for it...) ".... if I signed the dotted line RIGHT NOW, and took advantage of this deal, right then and there!"

I looked at him cock-eyed, and said... "Ummm, I wasn't looking to BUY the car outright *today!*" He then proceeded to grab his manager from an office and basically tried to pressure me into buying the Corolla right then and there.

"Our family's been selling cars for 110 years, you know. This company (the dealer, not Toyota)'s been around for ages and we do the best for our customers, and would love to have you for life." Awesome, then don't try and shove a car that's MSRP is over $18,500 when I was starting the conversation on "What do you think about the Yaris?"

I couldn't believe that. Anyway, enough ranting.

I like how the hatch seems to have more height, and if what some of you are saying is true, I certainly will have to actually get to take a look at the Yaris. I don't like how ABS aren't standard, and how the base price of a Corolla is about the same price as a well-equipped Yaris, but.. after an experince like that, I'm not sure I'll want any dealer to even mention a Corolla the next time I walk near a lot.

There's a part of me that even kinda wishes that the Yaris had been out longer... I'm not sure I'm ready to bite the bullet and get a brand new car. The way you all talk about yours, it almost makes me wish that I could get them used affordably. Being such a new model and all, that's kinda crazy, though.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses and taking the time to read through my little rant, this morning. I'm sure I'll be posting more as the rest of this unfolds.
Tokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
hi, i looked and drove so many cars before i bought my yaris liftback last thursday. i like the looks of it-the seating position was important as i am one of the older ones here-i usually drive alone or with one passenger so i didn't really need the 4 dooors. i did drive a corolla and it was ok but just like every other car on the road and the seat was uncomfortable for me. so as soon as i sat in it and saw the room i took a test drive and then proceeded to buy her-i got the absolutely red one and she is so cute in my opinion. i expect good gas mileage, i have cheap payments and a new car warranty. i also have 2 dogs which if i want to take with me they will fit in her. so for me the yaris liftback fit the bill very comfortably. look around and find a dealer you like some of them are just plain awful to deal with. i think i paid a fair price and got a fair trade in-nothing spectacular but i am happy with it. good luck
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:

-snip-
Don't put one foot in that dealership ever again, that's so much BS they probably have a side business as a manure exporter since 110 years or whatever.

And to answer your original questions:

I originally wanted a second hand car like an Impreza, but at the last minute decided I'd rather have a new car than a 10-year old one. I was torn between the Fit and the Yaris, but the Yaris' looks had grown on me, and my friend's wife's cousin works at a dealership and could arrange for a lot of optional extras at no cost...

More powerful engine for a bit of better acceleration, but that's kinda negated by the extra weight of the car.
Somewhat larger interior, bigger trunk (I think)
Larger car means more road presence, harder for idiot drivers not to see you.

Just look at it, it's quirky, it's funky, it's versatile. Also, it has quite a big following in Japan and other countries, so there's a very good potential for modifying in many ways.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
yeah, the yaris has been around for a good while in other countries, and it has proven to be a great car, you need to go to reputable dealer, you also need to -stop- asking the dealer questions like "what car should I buy?" They are there to make you spend as much as you possibly can, if you came in and said I love the yaris I have test driven one and I think it's a great car, they would tell you "hell yeah it is" and get you in one that day for the MSRP if they thought they could, take back up if you need to

test drive the yaris and if you have to tell them you are planning to buy one right here and now if the deal is right, give them 30 min to make the deal and then walk out if they don't meet it, just test drive the car and you'll know if you want to continue shopping for a yaris
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Tokiko

If you ever return to that dealership (I wouldn't), you should correct your slaeman by telling him the Corolla actually has a 1.8 liter engine (not a 1.7), and the Yaris actually has more front seat leg room than the Corolla. I personally wouldn't waste my time with them and would find another dealership.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
mikeb25

Drives: Liftback S soon
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

One dealer actually called my wife and I "lazy" for wanting power windows...
Quote: "you know I hate to say it, but if you can't reach over and just turn a crank, well that's just kinda lazy to me"
Needless to say, we will NOT be going back there.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

1. I'm not sure where you live in New York State, but if you can get to Vermont, you can get either the Power Package, OR ABS and Side Curtain Airbags.

2. If you can get to Pennsylvania you can get both together, along with keyless entry

3. You can move to Canada and get an RS... but it's just about impossible to bring one back; US pollution regulations, red tape, taxes, etc...

4. You can find a local dealer, including the 110 year-old manure salesman, who is willing to do some work to do a "swap" with an out-of-state dealer..

5. or if you can stand waiting about 4-6 months you can order and/or "preference" whatever you want, but definately be vigilant...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them... and they WILL lie. 3 of the 5 dealers I have gone to STILL deny that Toyota even makes them with Power and ABS... ANYWHERE in the country which is absolutely FALSE. When I told one salesman that they have them in Pennsylvania he said "well, you should go to Pennsylvania then."

Fact of the matter is, they only make 500 to 700 dollars off the car whether they sell it off the lot or intercept one off the boat from Japan. Get a salesman that will agree to show you an invoice if you agree on a certain percent commission above invoice. 5% is fair. Tell them what you want and that you are not interested in anything else. If they try to get you into a Corolla tell them you're next choice after the Yaris would be a Hyundai anyway.. then they'll start to work for you. They would rather do the work and make the sale than not make the sale at all...

But they would much, much rather sell you a Corolla.

Last edited by mikeb25; 07-31-2007 at 10:16 AM.
mikeb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
I suggest contacting an internet salesmen,in my experience at least they seem to not be so salesmanish. But even then they did try to push a XA which I made it quite clear I was there for a Yaris and only a Yaris. The only thing on the salesman mind is comision. You really need to do your research before you go to the dealer,that way you can tell them exactly what you want,you can even check if they have anything on the lot before you set foot in the place.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #15
ALY
TOYOTA Product Advisor

Drives: 2007 YARIS RS 3DR LB "B" PKG
As a Toyota Product Advisor, I would like to apologize for the way you were treated; it truly sucks. The only reason (that I can think of) for the salesperson to upsell you to a Corolla is that the dealership did not have any Yaris' in stock in the option packages you were requesting OR he wanted to make more commission.

I would seek another dealer if I were you and if you came to see me (Canada) you would receive much better service.

I leased my Yaris RS prior to working at TOYOTA. I chose this car over others for both its looks and price point. Fit, Versa, and Accent were too big (for what my intended use) and the Smart was too small and too expensive in comparison on options I wanted.
ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:

The guy kept trying to stress to me that the Corolla's 0.2 difference in Liter capacity between their respective engines. (Yaris has 1.5 v. Corolla's 1.7).

Now don't get me wrong, but I have no idea what that difference means.

All he is saying is in effect. "Yaris has a smaller engine than Corrolla - we are Americans dammit, we like bigger engines, so buy the Corrolla".

of course the Corrolla probably weighs more too - countering any engine size advantage it may have. Plus getting lower gass mileage (regardless of the "official" mileages specs of the Corrolla.".

as for no ABS-airbags etc......... toyota is criminally negligent in their marketing of the Yaris in the United States. EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD GETS EVERYTHING - 9 airbags/abs/power packege and 5-sp and 4 dr...

and we get NOTHING on the Yaris. Toyota continues to get an "F" in marketing in my book.

4-months.......and waiting..........
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #17
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb25 View Post
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

One dealer actually called my wife and I "lazy" for wanting power windows...
Quote: "you know I hate to say it, but if you can't reach over and just turn a crank, well that's just kinda lazy to me"
Needless to say, we will NOT be going back there.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

1. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can get to Vermont, you can get either the Power Package, OR ABS and Side Curtain Airbags.

2. If you can get to Pennsylvania you can get both together, along with keyless entry

3. You can move to Canada and get an RS... but it's just about impossible to bring one back; US pollution regulations, red tape, taxes, etc...

4. You can find a local dealer, including the 110 year-old manure salesman, who is willing to do some work to do a "swap" with an out-of-state dealer..

5. or if you can stand waiting about 4-6 months you can order and/or "preference" whatever you want, but definately be vigilant...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them... and they WILL lie. 3 of the 5 dealers I have gone to STILL deny that Toyota even makes them with Power and ABS... ANYWHERE in the country which is absolutely FALSE. When I told one salesman that they have them in Pennsylvania he said "well, you should go to Pennsylvania then."

Fact of the matter is, they only make 500 to 700 dollars off the car whether they sell it off the lot or intercept one off the boat from Japan. Get a salesman that will agree to show you an invoice if you agree on a certain percent commission above invoice. 5% is fair. Tell them what you want and that you are not interested in anything else. If they try to get you into a Corolla tell them you're next choice after the Yaris would be a Hyundai anyway.. then they'll start to work for you. They would rather do the work and make the sale than not make the sale at all...

But they would much, much rather sell you a Carolla.
this was my experience too - I will NEVER buy Toyota anything again - regardless not after being told "you want power windows? just by our scion Xa" a MILLION TIMES.

and being told "you want a manual with power package? why? everyone drives automatics now".

ENOUGH - fuck em i say.

oh ya, I "ordered" my HB 5-sp with power package (gee they only made 270,000 in Brittany last year and is the top selling car with above options in Europe......but gee none here in the US!!!!!!!!!

I find it outragous that:

1. There are NO Yaris in the US with the configuration of the 270,000 in Europe. (#1 seller)

2. That I actually "put up with it" and ordered my car from Japan via a dealership that refuses to update me on progress or return my phonecalls - 4 months and counting.

3. Toyota is SO INCOMPETENT in "promoting" (ya right) the Yaris here in the United States. no ABS no side air/back air/passener airbags/ no power package on manual. ALL inexcusable.

to hell with Toyota - hope everyone/anyone else tears them a new one over this whole mess.

end rant.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #18
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Gee, I'm sure glad I didn't have to deal with a US dealership! I went into my local Toyota dealer, was dealt with efficiently and courteously, got my car in 2 weeks.

The only glitch in the proceedings was at ther very beginning:
"Can I help you?"
"Yes, I want a Yaris, sedan, white, no auto, no air."
"Oh, I have a silver sedan-"
"Yaris, sedan, white, no auto, no air."
"Ah. One moment sir"

2 minutes later. "There is one in Montreal, it will take 16 days to get here."
"Write it up, and we will be back on the 25th".

Done. Just like that.

2 weeks later, we picked up the car after less than an hour in the dealership.

Sorry for your poor experiences; sounds like Toyota needs to do some tuneups on some of their dealerships!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote