Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Got some money to blow...and I'm a noob

I recently bought a 07 3 door manual Yaris, and despite the fact that I find myself being bombarded by gay clown car jokes (I live in the mid-west and folks tend to compensate for their short comings with jacked up mudders), I am very happy with the decision. I have little practical knowledge of working on cars, as I usually pay mechanic friends beer for labor, and not a hell of a lot of money to spend, hence the Yaris. I am generally of the opinion that putting much money in a bottom of the line economy car is rather futile, but after spending a few weeks looking on this forum have started to change my mind.

My question is what would you all do if you could drop $1000 towards improving performance? Does that really even make sense? Would you really notice much difference? I understand that this car isn’t a Supra, and options are limited with modifications, but there seem to be a few choices.

At first I thought about getting rims, and found a set I liked for just under $400. I then thought that maybe the higher quality (more expensive) cold air intake would make sense. I also considered putting on some headers and maybe a complete exhaust system. What would you guys suggest? I have read many of the threads on here and I have seen a lot of good ideas, even if I don’t fully understand (again cars aren’t my thing), however, I have seen a lot of asinine juvenile stuff too.

I understand that this car will never be a badass performance machine. I don’t think that any amount of money (that I could realistically expect to drop on a $13k car) would accomplish that, but I imagine that one could make relatively easy upgrades that would yield noticeable differences. Assuming that last part is true, what would you all do? I’d like to thank you all for your previous discussions, as I have learned a lot so far, and any advice you can offer now.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i haven't spent any money on performance mods. my ~$1k went towards suspension, ICE, and exterior/interior mods.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
but i would go with an intake, and a custom catback for the performance aspect. headers too.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
i would start with a good set of wheels and tires....then suspension...then power mods
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i haven't spent any money on performance mods. my ~$1k went towards suspension, ICE, and exterior/interior mods.
Technically you can say those are performance mods cause they help with "performance" as far as handling...so guilty as charged!

Anyway if you don't know what to do with the money my address is....and don't fret about adding more 0's, it doesn't do anything but help.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is ICE?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
IanCFitz
Hells Yeah!

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via AIM to IanCFitz
In Car Entertainment

Stereo/speakers, that stuff...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Individual Throttle Bodies... Danstoy is making one, look them up!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
I say wheels. They make a world of difference compared to stock.

And welcome to Yaris World. You'll receive your complimentary toaster in the mail within 6-8 weeks.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
For 1000...

If you dont want to up the motor anymore, I think you should get some Nice 16'' Rims ($600 for Rota's or a nice discounted set), tires ($150-200), and some springs, ($200, if you DIY)...

Rims and Lowering completely changes not only the way the car looks, but it completely changes handling. I think if you at least want a really nice car, without those hubcaps. And your not worried about gaining anymore Horses...just go with cosmetic.

Most people do one of two things: make the car fast, or make it look good. Sometimes a little of both.

EDIT:(Oh and the 'badass performance' car thing: Think Autocross Baby!, our cars do really well in curves...not the straights, Its not how fast you go into the corner, its how fast you maintain and exit that corner)
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #12
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Individual Throttle Bodies... Danstoy is making one, look them up!
That is pretty bad ass. Way too much for my inept mechanic ass and too much $, but bad ass none the less. Thanks for the idea though. I am so new to car stuff (only vehicle I've ever owned that I did anything to was a 390 '71 Ford F-100) that isn't at least 30+ years old that I am constantly amazed by the things people are doing now.

I really appreciate the responses so far. Keep 'em coming. War Eagle! Sorry to venture off topic (a preemptive apology to any flamers out there), but I've been drinking and Auburn is winning, albeit sloppily, but winning none the less.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
I say wheels. They make a world of difference compared to stock.

And welcome to Yaris World. You'll receive your complimentary toaster in the mail within 6-8 weeks.
I've got a couple toasters already...no tote bag/coffee mug combo instead?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #14
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
I've got to agree with the others and suggest the cosmetic mods first, such as tint, rims and springs. Then $'s permitting, maybe the CAT-Back system to at least get a bit of a growl from the rear. Possibly followed by some sway bars depending on how you want the beast to flow through the corners.
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

The responses so far tend to suggest that you really can't do much in the way of performance (excluding handling) modifications that ultimately matter, short of a turbo or something? If that is the case...again wrong forum, but what the hell, can you put on a 17" wheel and "lower" profile tires without any rub? If you lowered with coils, do you have to replace shocks/struts? Do tie/sway bars make sense? Again I am a car idiot, so be patient. The Auburn game is not going as planned. They just turned it over and I am shit canned, so if I am asking stupid questions, that's why, but they just blocked a punt so it averages out. Again, many thanks to all.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #16
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by umm_bacon View Post
The Auburn game is not going as planned.
Go South Florida !!!
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #17
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret_san View Post
Go South Florida !!!
Oh...them's fightin' words!!! Damn Aussies!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #18
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Due to tech restrictions, our cars biggest weakness is also the hardest/most expensive to overcome; mainly power. This will become only easier and cheaper to fix as time goes on and the aftermarket puts out more and more for the engine. So patience will pay off and you may just want to let that go. Intake, headers, pulleys, etc are cheap things that will at least optimize the engine as is.
The cars biggest asset is it's inherent lightweight, small size, and agility. To get the most bang for your buck, this is an area where you can get alot of return. It's not a Viper killer, and probably never will be. BUT it can stomp some ass in the corners and manueverability. If I had a chunk of change I would:
1) High quality, fully adjustable coilover kit. One that uses all it's own parts and stands alone. This will let you adjust the car, have the best ride, and allow you to change the car set-up to fit the other thing I'd do to it.....
2) Wheels and tires. Having height adjustability, spring choices and valving options will allow you to get away with running a much larger spectrum of rim/tire choices and have it look the best. I would recommend finding the lightest, albeit affordable, rims you can get for you're budget. Again, to help what power the car does posses to not get sapped away. And don't skimp on the rubber! Sidewall stiffness, as much as low-profile, dictate a tires performance, as well as rubber/silicia compound. There are some outstanding tires out there for not a whole lot of money in the 15-17 inch wheel sizes.

Any purely cosmetic (tint, lip kits, etc) are cool too, but if you want the car to suprise people and are primarily going for 'performance', I'd milk it's strengths in between yourself and the road. However you go, enjoy!
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote