Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
andrew109340

Drives: 09 BLK hatch stick 3 dr
Post accident handy work

I was in an accident a few months ago in which a drunk driver came into my lane and damaged the entire side of my car. I plan to eventually replace my door, but I repaired my car myself for the time being....

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 1.5 Base model stick-shift

The work I did was....
1. Car wash
2. Pulled out dents with suction
3. Buffed and waxed
4. Primed scratches
5. Paint and clear coat (exact match from car parts store)

Pretty happy with the look, not perfect....but I will be replacing the door eventually.

andrew109340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew109340 View Post
I was in an accident a few months ago in which a drunk driver came into my lane and damaged the entire side of my car. I plan to eventually replace my door, but I repaired my car myself for the time being....

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 1.5 Base model stick-shift

The work I did was....
1. Car wash
2. Pulled out dents with suction
3. Buffed and waxed
4. Primed scratches
5. Paint and clear coat (exact match from car parts store)

Pretty happy with the look, not perfect....but I will be replacing the door eventually.

(I hope the drunk driver was insured )
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I had a couple of accidents over three years not my fault and they raised my rates when I had the car fixed the second time (Progressive) The damage was similar to yours. Unfortunately I cant fix cars myself anymore because that would have been my approach!

Looks like you did a pretty good job! Maybe some more good ideas about self repair will occur to you!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Drunk driver in San Antonio? Needless to say I am not shocked. Did he get caught? Did he have insurance? Again, both would be a surprise. It's one of the reasons I carry full insurance on all my vehicles here...
Old 09-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Amazing how some drive with no insurance in the U.S. Up here no insurance and you can't register your car, it's mandatory. Only time you can be without insurance is when in storage which is your risk.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
No US state permits driving without insurance of *some* form. NH and MI allow self-insurance through posting a bond (Ontario allowed this as well... I believe it went away with no-fault insurance requirements? It was expensive enough only mega-corps and the ultra-wealthy could even consider it.). In VA uninsured motorists pay a special fee to do so (sounds like a state-based insurance scheme to me).

In these states that have "options" apart from the typical monthly auto insurance payment, 90% of drivers elect for payments anyways. If you don't, you typically can't drive into other states.

In the end, if you have standard auto insurance, it really makes no difference if the other driver is uninsured. All standard auto insurance policies have terms that pay out if an uninsured motorist hits you. In a no-fault insurance area, this makes even less difference, since the insurance company does not collect from the other party in either case anyways (though they would likely sue the uninsured for damages anyways).

Due to how extreme drunk driving laws have become, many serial violators simply drive without insurance and without valid ownership anyways. The penalties for both of those are lower than what insurance costs and are lower than the penalties for drunk driving, after all. Not to mention the terms "drunk" drivers (put in scare quotes because in Ontario "drunk" now means a single beer for thin women) are not allowed to drive mean people are faced with bad choices: Drive without a license and keep your job, pay for a taxi you can't afford every day for 7 - 90 days, or lose your job. Some choose to just drive anyways.

But I digress...
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In NJ to register your car you do NOT have to submit proof of insurance. Just write in the policy #.

Its estimated 40% of drivers in the NJ/Philly area don't have insurance...

No inspection either!

Id stay home if I were U!

Last edited by bronsin; 09-12-2015 at 08:47 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Well, you don't really need to submit proof of insurance in Ontario, either, they also just type in the policy number. :) Heck, sometimes they don't even bother asking to see my pink slip when I renew, so I think they can see last year's policy number and just copy-pasta. We even had self-serve kiosks at one point which I'm sure asked you a legally binding question as to whether you have current insurance or not. Because someone driving without a license or insurance is going to answer honestly. LOL. Not to mention you can renew for 2 years at a time...

Still are required by law to have insurance, though. :D
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote