Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
DIY Stealth Garage Door Opener Button

So, I was tired of keeping up with my garage door opener. I had stashed it in my driver's side glove box for the last year with some velcro, but i'm too lazy to keep opening up the glove box to open the garage. So, I dismantled my garage door opener to see how it works and see if I can rig up a nice, stock looking button on my door to use. It was easier than I thought it would be...

Here is my garage door opener dismantled. Although openers vary, almost all of them use the same basic topology: a momentary switch closes a circuit which triggers the signal sent to the opener to open/close the door. As a bonus, the board for the opener switch has pads for more switches right on the board. The pictures were taken after I had already soldered wires to the switch pads:

I then wired up the switch:

A quick test.... SUCCESS!
so then i started to decide where to mount the switch. The optimal place IMHO is in the push-button start button cover. But I had already mounted my cruise control switches there, so I opted for another good location, the forward most door sill trim piece:

Works like a charm! I used the same popular black momentary switch we all seem to be buying from radio shack. I drilled the hole just slightly too big, so I used a thin nylon washer I had lying around (after painting it flat black) to mount the switch, and i think it looks COOL...

I tucked the board for the opener down in between the factory door panel pad and the door panel.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Nice and clean!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Good idea.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
thats is awesome, couldnt you wire this into a power source in the car so you could null out the battery? use some resisters to bring it down to a propper level so you wont have to worry about doing anthing
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Nice.

I've been looking for a way to hide the garage opener too. I have to wait though. Not sure how much longer I'll be staying at this house. New house will probably have a newer garage opener model and remote.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hahahaha nice! I've been meaning to do this for ages but too lazy And mine runs off a lil 12V battery, even better...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Can you post pictures of your cruise control too? (sorry to get off topic)
Old 07-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
PatrickJohnson

the cruise control is pictured in the DIY cruise control thread... search is your friend.

At some point I'll probably power it from the car, but mine is a 3 volt, so I have to build a little voltage divider circuit first. One day when i'm bored...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
That's a nice mod.
How about an antenna to extend the range? (might not be legal)

I live in an apartment and don't think the landlord would appreciate me
modifying the door opener.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
There is a very popular garage door opener mod on my Yamaha R1 forums. It does exactly the same thing, but ties the switch into the high beams. So all you have to do is pull up, flash your highs and you're good to go. Flash once again to close it behind you :) Check it out. It has the 3V power source converter plans too...

HIGH BEAM GARAGE DOOR OPENER MOD
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
That's a nice mod.
How about an antenna to extend the range? (might not be legal)

I live in an apartment and don't think the landlord would appreciate me
modifying the door opener.
Don't they sell universal garage door openers? Or you could just pick up a replacement remote from the manufacturer.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
IsLNdbOi

PatrickJohnson, would either of these switches:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1838/

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1909/

be too big for where you mounted your switch?

Also, can anyone here make one of those 12v to 3v converters?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
PatrickJohnson

those switches are fine in size, but they are on/off toggles, you need momentary switch
Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
PatrickJohnson, would either of these switches:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1838/

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1909/

be too big for where you mounted your switch?

Also, can anyone here make one of those 12v to 3v converters?

Here's an off the shelf 12V to 3V adapter:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ADAPTER/1.html
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
IsLNdbOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
those switches are fine in size, but they are on/off toggles, you need momentary switch
Cool. What about these?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6512/
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6099/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Here's an off the shelf 12V to 3V adapter:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ADAPTER/1.html
Cool. How would I use that? It's kind of large. I'm guessing I'd have to gut it and set the switch to 3V then make the connection from one of the car's 12V power wires to the 3V battery receptacle on the garage door opener then just connect the same 12 power wire from the car to the 12V LED on the power switch to get the illumination.

Would a power wire going to one of the power door locks or window switches work with this?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Cool. What about these?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6512/
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6099/

Cool. How would I use that? It's kind of large. I'm guessing I'd have to gut it and set the switch to 3V then make the connection from one of the car's 12V power wires to the 3V battery receptacle on the garage door opener then just connect the same 12 power wire from the car to the 12V LED on the power switch to get the illumination.

Would a power wire going to one of the power door locks or window switches work with this?

Correct on the wiring of the power adapter. With the plastic removed, the circuit board would be very small.

Those switches would be fine.

You'd probably want to grab two separate power sources. Ignition switched power (or maybe dimmer output) for the LED and always on for the opener supply.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #17
IsLNdbOi

Thanks CTScott. Do you know offhand if there are ignition switched and constant 12v power wires going to the power door locks and windows switches?

The power door locks work even when the key isn't in the car (if you're in the car and press the door lock switch when the car is off, the doors still lock / unlock). The power window switches don't though.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
PatrickJohnson

Quote:
YES! Those will work and look great. You'll just have to run a little power to it to run the illumination. If you are going to use the spot i did to mount it, it should be easy to tap the illumination off the dimmer rheostat so that it brightens/dims with the other interior lights

Quote:

this is a better (though more expensive) solution:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/AnyVoltMicro.htm

but if i were to get the one CTScott posted, I would crack open the cig plug part (after switching it to 3 volts) and mount that board near the garage door opener board on the inside of the door. then I would run wires from the power points that went to the plug connections down to a +12v spot on the fuse block.

Then clip the wire part of the power board to a suitable length and wire it to the battery pads on the open remote board. make sure to remove the battery on the remote board, or else you will be sending 6 volts (2 3 volt supplies in parallel) and will likely mess up the opener.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (31.9 KB, 1266 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 1263 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (43.4 KB, 1256 views)