Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #1
tdesws

Drives: 2002 1.4 Diesel
Weird stuff happening after got flooded (2002 Yaris 1.4l Diesel)

Hey guys, just found this forum!

I wanted to ask what could have happened and how could it be fixed, our car got flooded pretty much like that:

Maybe a bit less, it's hard to say from the drivers view lol.

But now there are two things that I can't figure out
  • The car stinks like old rain water (even though it didn't get inside anywhere), so why and from where could this smell be coming from even after almost a week?
  • And now when I'm trying to start the car, when I turn the key - the car doesn't do anything for ~2 seconds, then it starts to start regularly and works all good

Last edited by tdesws; 08-19-2018 at 07:21 AM.
tdesws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
tdesws

Is the problem super rare or am I not clear or what is happening?
Every post before and after this one had responses...
Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
you flooded your engine that water is too high so it shorted everything. your cars basically totaled and needs everything vital replaced.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
you flooded your engine that water is too high so it shorted everything. your cars basically totaled and needs everything vital replaced.
Read his post again. The car RUNS! Photo is not actually of his car, and actual flood exposure may not have been as extreme.

As for smelling water, even though you didn't see water, some no doubt entered the cabin through the floor and saturated some of the carpet foam.

As for your delayed starting, then runs fine situation, I've no idea.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
tdesws

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Read his post again. The car RUNS! Photo is not actually of his car, and actual flood exposure may not have been as extreme.

As for smelling water, even though you didn't see water, some no doubt entered the cabin through the floor and saturated some of the carpet foam.

As for your delayed starting, then runs fine situation, I've no idea.
I checked not only for water, I checked the foam with my palm it seemed dry to me. Though it's been a week with a stable 30°C (86°F) outside, so it did somewhat go away.

By the way about the starter, we asked an electrician and he said that the starter doesn't "turn over" (don't know if that's a correct term in english) and that causes the delay before starting
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Even though the carpet and padding is dry, it could be moldy. I would take carpet and padding out. You probably could shampoo carpet but I would replace the padding. As far as the starting problem goes, it could be a starter solenoid. Something to possibly look at. Perhaps the connections are corroded?
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
If the car smells like old rain water then water did get into the car even if you can't see it. Pull up the carpet in a few places and see if the insulation under the carpet is damp. Some cars have floorboards that are sloped to the back so water will collect in the rear foot-wells regardless of how it got in. Also check the spare tire area, and the rear storage spaces around the tire arches.

The problem with water damaged cars is that they can seem normal but can suffer from odd electrical problems. I'd check all the connections, ground points, and fuses of the starting system for any trapped water or signs of corrosion. Did your mechanic try to jump the starter manually? That can narrow things down to a bad starter/solenoid or the rest of the starting system.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, flooded, start