Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Putting together a small tool kit to keep in my 2009 hatch...

Just wanting to keep a small tool kit in the car to cover most common nuts and bolts...

It seems like a small metric socket set would cover a lot of stuff... any suggestions for anything else? Types of screw drivers, maybe a magnetic pickup tool for when I inevitably drop a socket into the bottom of the engine bay... I've also got gloves, some compact blankets a, LED water proof flash light, jumper cables, and am about to swap in a full sized spare and a small Rotopax gas can once I detach the riser in the spare compartment. I've got AAA roadside as well - but I'm somewhat of a prepper so if I can undertake a quick fix instead I'd prefer that!

With the mileage I have I want to be prepared for at least small roadside misadventures.
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Fuses, mechanics wire, flat head screwdriver, adjustable wrench.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In general its pretty unusual for a good running car to suffer a show stopping breakdown, even if it has 200,000 miles on it. Especially a Toyota. Its even pretty unusual to have a flat tire.

Better than carrying a tool kit is running the 30,000 miles inspection as found in the owners manual once a year on a regular basis. Once a battery is three years old checking the voltage drop while starting the engine (replace the battery if voltage drops below 10) every so often should keep a dead battery from stranding you.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Mechanics wire has saved me more than once after nailing road kill. My exhaust was separated right after the cat. Tied up the rest of the exhaust to get me to the shop to have it welded.
However, I do agree with the above post. I'm diligent with my maintenance and as a result, none of my cars in the past 12 years have seen a tow truck. The last one that did was the result of a blown rad. No prior leaks, just a one time catastrophic failure. Not much you can do about that unless you replace your rad "just cause"

Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In general its pretty unusual for a good running car to suffer a show stopping breakdown, even if it has 200,000 miles on it. Especially a Toyota. Its even pretty unusual to have a flat tire.

Better than carrying a tool kit is running the 30,000 miles inspection as found in the owners manual once a year on a regular basis. Once a battery is three years old checking the voltage drop while starting the engine (replace the battery if voltage drops below 10) every so often should keep a dead battery from stranding you.
I’m at 360k now and drive 75 miles to and from work 5 days a week... also about 250 Miles back to my college campus during football season. So I drive a good bit! Also very diligent with my maintence as is... being on desolate stretched of road where phone reception may be a problem makes me like to also have a backup plan!

I periodically run a battery tender at the house and check the battery about once every 2 weeks to once a month too!

Fuses and mechanics wire I hadn’t thought of though!
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
2bz

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3DR Hatch MT
Safety triangles or emergency flares.
12-volt air compressor
Duct tape
Mobile phone charger.
First Aid kit.
Folding shovel
WD-40
Ice Scraper with Brush
Can of Fix-a-flat
Multi-tool
Zip ties
Olde tyme paper road atlas
Glock 19 (optional)

Last edited by 2bz; 02-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
I’m at 360k now and drive 75 miles to and from work 5 days a week... also about 250 Miles back to my college campus during football season. So I drive a good bit! Also very diligent with my maintence as is... being on desolate stretched of road where phone reception may be a problem makes me like to also have a backup plan!

I periodically run a battery tender at the house and check the battery about once every 2 weeks to once a month too!

Fuses and mechanics wire I hadn’t thought of though!

Yeah I would take $200 and go to Harbor freight and BUY BUY BUY!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
MREs? I keep a jacket or 2 in my car, too. Maybe a good book in case you're stranded and have crappy cell service.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I like to bring along an extra serp. belt - usually a used one - just in case. My little box also contains a small tool kit. I plan to pick up a small 12V compressor (small enough to fit under a seat) and a tire plug kit. If I'm going on a long road trip in the van, for example, I bring along a liter of each, motor oil, atf and coolant. Everything fits well into a small cardboard box.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

I don't worry about a portable compressor. But then again, I have a self sufficient air system to power the 2 air horns stuffed between the rad and engine hahahah