Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Performance mods + warranty

Just a quick question regarding warranty issues... Will putting on a full exhaust system, including headers + high flow cat + 2.25 inch piping + exhaust void the warranty? Im sure these mods will not cause any problems to the engine or car itself, will it or has anyone heard about these mods causing failure to any parts in the long run?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I could point you to what US law says, but that wouldn't do you much good.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
RossP

Drives: MK I Vitz 1.0l F Package
No, but normally voids the warranty if the part that has caused the problem has been installed by yourself and is not a genuine Toyota or toyota approved part
RossP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
In the US the manufacture has to prove the after-market part caused the failure to deny a warranty claim according to the Magnuson-Moss act.

You'll have to check your local laws regarding the issue.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonacc View Post
In the US the manufacture has to prove the after-market part caused the failure to deny a warranty claim according to the Magnuson-Moss act.

You'll have to check your local laws regarding the issue.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Okay first of all...I'm on YOUR side when I say the following:

Deny

Delay

Defend

I have not had any warranty work done by Toyota. I can tell you dealing with Dodge...the dealers are the WORST sort of trick artists, highwaymen and general slime I have ever had the pleasure to fight with. Telling my story would take pages so I'll leave you with this thought, the M/M act is all fine and dandy BUT, the dealership is the one fixing the breakages, not the manufacturer. The dealership is a business and the dealerships are there to make as much profit as possible.

The dealership absolutely has the time to deny your warranty claim. You already know they have the money. They'll deny your claim, then you go to small claims court. They'll protract the issue out over an extended period of time. Then they'll defend their actions by generally claiming YOU as a fraud for putting non factory parts on the vehicle regardless of what the M/M act says. Why? Because they can. It's the right of the dealership to defend it's actions.

Now, saying all that, I want to re-iterate that I have NOT had ANY warranty issues or dealings with Toyota...However I have learned a lesson with my old vehicle, never mess with the engine of your daily driver!

What I'm saying is of course the WORST of the worst that can happen...but it HAS happened more frequently than not.

My moral is: BE CAREFUL WHEN MODDING YOUR CAR! You WILL pay to play.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Dragonacc

Or if you stick with I/E/H style mods you could just remove them if your car breaks. Note however that this could be considered fraud so I wouldn't personally do it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I can tell you dealing with Dodge...the dealers are the WORST sort of trick artists, highwaymen and general slime I have ever had the pleasure to fight with. Telling my story would take pages so I'll leave you with this thought, the M/M act is all fine and dandy BUT, the dealership is the one fixing the breakages, not the manufacturer. The dealership is a business and the dealerships are there to make as much profit as possible.
I can tell you (after working in dealerships for quite a while) that it is, in fact, the manufacturer paying for warranty work. The dealership may have to wait until the end of the month for the payment, but there is no such thing as a dealership paying for warranty work. That would be a conflict of interests. I can personally tell you that dealerships LOVE warranty work- it's guaranteed money. So, why would a "trick artist highwayman" at a dealership want to screw you out of warranty work, and therefore money out of his own pocket? Being as respectful as possible, it sounds like you walked into a dealership with an unrealistic expectation, didn't get it, and now there's no way it could be your own fault.

I understand you are angry for not getting what you wanted, but please don't spread misinformation. It is statements like the above that lead to mistrust of dealerships that is, often, unwarranted.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I can tell you (after working in dealerships for quite a while) that it is, in fact, the manufacturer paying for warranty work. The dealership may have to wait until the end of the month for the payment, but there is no such thing as a dealership paying for warranty work. That would be a conflict of interests. I can personally tell you that dealerships LOVE warranty work- it's guaranteed money. So, why would a "trick artist highwayman" at a dealership want to screw you out of warranty work, and therefore money out of his own pocket? Being as respectful as possible, it sounds like you walked into a dealership with an unrealistic expectation, didn't get it, and now there's no way it could be your own fault.

I understand you are angry for not getting what you wanted, but please don't spread misinformation. It is statements like the above that lead to mistrust of dealerships that is, often, unwarranted.
I also worked at a dealership, A Dodge dealer even, everyone there loved warranty work, the parts department made a bit of money, techs always made out pretty good, everyone gets paid at the dealership when warranty/recall work is done, the ones that have to pay is the manifacture of those parts
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
ANYTHING THAT IS NOT INSTALLED BY A TOYOTA DEALER WILL VOID WARRANTY.... but in your country things might be different!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Dragonacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA View Post
ANYTHING THAT IS NOT INSTALLED BY A TOYOTA DEALER WILL VOID WARRANTY.... but in your country things might be different!
It only voids the warranty for the part replaced. I worked for attorney's that handled cases of warranty denials. What your saying sounds like installing a radio would void your engine warranty, absolutely not true.

And and intake won't void your powertrain warranty unless you hydro-locked the car or something.

If someone has the money for an attorney and goes to court for something like an intake, they will win. Problem is most people don't have the money, and you end up in arbitration and get screwed.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
if you look at what he wanted to do as far as work in the US if you mess with the cat converter on any car YOU VOID THE WARRANTY..... and as far as voiding for part replaced the kid who wired up his HID lights on his tc and wound up shorting out his main wiring harness would like to give your lawyer a call.......
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Dragonacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA View Post
if you look at what he wanted to do as far as work in the US if you mess with the cat converter on any car YOU VOID THE WARRANTY..... and as far as voiding for part replaced the kid who wired up his HID lights on his tc and wound up shorting out his main wiring harness would like to give your lawyer a call.......
That would be like an intake hydro-locking your car. If the part causes the failure directly you are SOL.

Messing with the cat is against Federal law in the US so yeah, bad move.

I was only correcting your over simplification of how things work. It's all good man.

Note: If your cat was defective (shoving a screwdriver in it) you can replace it with a high flow cat if it's federally approved, or if in CA you would need a CARB approved one.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

I don't think he meant that the dealer was going to pay for the warranty work. He meant that they are doing the actual fixing of the car so the manufacturer will be clear of any wrong doing until they are brought into the picture.

People are naive when they spout off about the MM act. It seems like 1% of people get satisfaction out of it and the rest fight the good fight for years before they give up. Wander onto a srt-4 forum and you will read more horror stories than you thought possible.

Every few years one person will win a case and the entire internet world rallies around that story, when the truth is that stuff like that is few and far between.