Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
DIY how to change you belt in 10 minutes without breaking VVTI solenoid

So before I start the tools you will need are a 12mm socket or long handle ratcheting wrench, and a 14mm as well as a long prybar

The belt I recommend buying is bando. Part number if you need is in the picture below.

And before doing anything mark the location of your alternator to the bracket as shown below. This prevents error of over tightening your belt which can cause premature failure of your water pump or having it too loose which can cause squealing and potential for belt to fall off.

Loosen the top 12mm bolt a few turns and then the bottom 14mm bolt of the alternator and push it back as far is it will allow and slip off the old belt.

For comparison this is how bad my old belt look compared to new at 50k miles.

Installing the belt is fairly strait forward incase you didnt pay attention to how it came off follow the diagram below.

When tightening the belt gently pry the alternator against the engine on the LEFT side of the bracket. Doing so to the right risks accidentally prying against the VVTi solenoid and breaking it. Make sure the alternator lines up to mark you made. If you accidentally forgot to make a mark or just want to double check the belt is tightened correctly find a point where you can gain access to belt and in the center pinch it and turn it, it should turn about halfway.

And there you have it with basic tools it can be done on your drive way in about 10 minutes.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
awesome tutorial thanks. My manual said nothing about changing the belt, i'm already at 80kms.
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
belt

A good practice is to just replace the belt every 3-4 years or if you see it getting cracks like the picture in this diy. You shorten the lifespan of the belt or other components if you overtighten it or leave it too lose. Why take a chance of getting stranded plus overheating the car and cause head gasket damage, just spend the $13-14 bucks on a new belt now
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote