Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Cruise Control

Am thinking of adding this to my 2009 Toyota Yaris hatchback; anyone done this? Did you go to the dealership? How did it work out for you? The cost?

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
karl53913

Drives: 2008 yaris lb
Yes I installed my own in a 2008 HB. purchased from sparks toyota (http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1947) installed pretty straight forward. works great. but they only recommend for auto trans?
karl53913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I put one on my 07 yaris manual works fine.I saw a new 09 yaris manual trans at my local toyota dealer had factory cruise control
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I added the CC unit from TRDSparks to my 2008 auto LB...... not too bad to install but it does hurt your mpg if you are into saving gas.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I added the CC unit from TRDSparks to my 2008 auto LB...... not too bad to install but it does hurt your mpg if you are into saving gas.
Wha-a-a-a-a-??? I was told it helps with gas mileage; that's one of the main reasons I was considering adding it... Cost??? And yes, mine is an automatic.

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
col_blu
col_blu

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris 3-door A/T
Gas Mileage

With an AT, I've always gotten better mpg w/ cruise. I had mine installed by dealer (they jobbed it out) and it hss a 3 yr/36k mile warranty. Its cost $200-$250. Mine cost $450 installed.
col_blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
kxsails

Drives: 08 3 dr Hatchback blue
Re cruise control install on an 08 Auto HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Did the kit from sparks come with instructions? How hard was it. I'm looking at buying it. Thanks, K.C.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
I orginally purchased a Rostra(?) DIY cruise control, but when I went to install it...I realized that I just didn't have tiny enough fingers (and body) to do the installation. My local Rostra dealer allowed me to return it for refund. Went to the dealer and they installed the exact same brand unit. But the first unit they installed happened to be defective...it took the dealer about six hours to finally figure out that the unit had to be totally pulled back out! The second unit has worked fine. (If I had installed the unit myself...I think I would still be working in it if it turned out to be defective).
Not only that, the dealer warrantied the cruise for 36K/3yrs. He stated that if anything beneath the dash had gone defective and they found a DIY cruise installed...he wasn't sure if Toyota would consider the warranty void.

Before the cruise installed, I usually got about 38-42mph when driving continuously on rural highways (no stop and go)...with the cruise engaged, I almost always gain somewhere between 2 and 8 mph! With no winds and flat road...I have been getting
between 45-52mph with the cruise. Shutting off the cruise, I cannot hold the accelerater as smoothly as the cruise and my mileage drops noticeably.

I use a ScanGaugeII to continuously monitor my mileage.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Do yourself a favor - print out and use the color instructions from Rostra's website.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
jvgillow

Drives: 2008 Liftback S
I tried calling a few dealers in my area before Christmas to ask about the cruise control for my 2008 Yaris LB (5 speed) and none of them found the parts in their system. I guess if I want cruise I have to buy the kit online and do it myself.
jvgillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I did a DIY Rostra unit on my hatch a year ago. To really get good mileage you have to use the buttons to control throttle. I use it a lot hyper-mile'in and consistently get 43 MPG commuting. Costing down to a light the trick is to be able to re-engage the cruise on a red-to-green transition before the speedo falls to 25 mph. It won't lock-in in 5th below 25 mpg. When luck smiles I make it the full 16 miles to work with out pushing in the clutch or down shifting out of 5th. Rostra limits the acceleration rate to a value easy on gas.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
westgl
2008 Prht Miata Red

Drives: 2009 3D 4AM PWR Pkg, Yel Jolt
My Rosta CC does not work

I bought a CC from TRD Sparks and the on and off light works, the electric gas pedal works, I'am able to drive the car and it works as it did before I installed the cruise control. It took about 2 hours for the install, but, it doesnt work completely.

TRD Sparks is a Rosta unit.

Except the cruise control will not hold the speed.

Tried it on the street doing 40MPH or faster, & on the freeway at 65. When you press your set button can you hear the relay click?

I have wired many other cars and feel confident with doing wiring and adding upgrades.

I wonder if it is bad out of the box.

G
westgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
westgl
2008 Prht Miata Red

Drives: 2009 3D 4AM PWR Pkg, Yel Jolt
My CC works now

A wire was making intermittent contact, fixed problem.

TRD Sparks is awesome, They helped out over the phone and will do what every they can to help.

A big thanks to Shawn & Ken at TRD Sparks

G

Last edited by westgl; 03-12-2009 at 08:49 PM.
westgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
chemicalya
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris RS
Canadian seller ??

Hey!
Good to know that cruise control exist !
Any place to buy it in Canada or simply order from TRD ?

So this will work fine on my yaris 5 speed ?

Thanks !!

DA
chemicalya is offline   Reply With Quote