Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
JD Power ranks Mazda 2 as highest quality subccompact. How does it compare to Yaris?

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...op-cars/4.html

JD Power lists the Mazda 2, Hyundai Accent, and Honda Fit (in order) as the highest quality subcompacts. To those that have driven these other vehicles, how do you feel they compare to the Yaris? I've driven a 2009 Fit, but nothing more recent.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
I think they're all in the same ball park, things only get so good in the sub compact market. I chose a Yaris for it's power train record.

I work at a Toyota/ Scion/ Hyundai dealership, I get to drive around lots of trade ins, here's what I've found.

2010+ cars

Mazda 2, average drive, of the 3 that have been traded in they all had lots of rattles and early fading, after seeing what I've seen I would have little confidence in the endurance of construction for the interior of these cars. They're also not a confident car to drive on the highway, our sub compacts are very similar in power across the board but I just don't like these on the highway.

Fit, there's really no comparison to any other sub compact interior wise, the interior of these cars is in another class. I've driven in lots of these, spirited drive, fun to throw into turns.

Accent, they feel gutless. They've no personality, steering is sloppy, seats are the worst, it's obvious Hyundai puts lowest bidder seemingly higher quality parts and stamps them on and goes. This isn't to say I think Hyundai aren't great cars, they come leaps and bounds. Their interiors are bland compared to other Hyundai models.

Yaris, it has the most conservative look. The new interior for the 2012s is still an aged design, with competition like the Fiesta and Fit they really make the Yaris look like grandmas old red interior Tempo. I find the Yaris to be the second most interesting to drive, I've never noticed Yaris interiors to fade early or rattle particularly much. Every customer that buys a Yaris is happy as hell with them, trade ins are rare and usually because the person buys another Yaris or upgrades to a Camry. I've yet to have a customer come in and be unhappy with the Yaris in 6 years. They last and last, endure torture from owners who don't maintain them properly and keep on trucking.

Fiesta.. I don't have much of an opinion, they look nice and their interiors look nice but I've not driven in one new or used.

Do I think the list is fair? No, I don't. I really don't think the Mazda 2 or Accent has any business being at those spots. I'd vote Fit, Yaris, Mazda 2 in that order from my experience.

Reality is we're buying cheap eco boxes, quality can only go so far. They're all probably a fine choice and will last mechanically.
Chifte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chifte View Post
I think they're all in the same ball park, things only get so good in the sub compact market. I chose a Yaris for it's power train record.

I work at a Toyota/ Scion/ Hyundai dealership, I get to drive around lots of trade ins, here's what I've found.

2010+ cars

Mazda 2, average drive, of the 3 that have been traded in they all had lots of rattles and early fading, after seeing what I've seen I would have little confidence in the endurance of construction for the interior of these cars. They're also not a confident car to drive on the highway, our sub compacts are very similar in power across the board but I just don't like these on the highway.

Fit, there's really no comparison to any other sub compact interior wise, the interior of these cars is in another class. I've driven in lots of these, spirited drive, fun to throw into turns.

Accent, they feel gutless. They've no personality, steering is sloppy, seats are the worst, it's obvious Hyundai puts lowest bidder seemingly higher quality parts and stamps them on and goes. This isn't to say I think Hyundai aren't great cars, they come leaps and bounds. Their interiors are bland compared to other Hyundai models.

Yaris, it has the most conservative look. The new interior for the 2012s is still an aged design, with competition like the Fiesta and Fit they really make the Yaris look like grandmas old red interior Tempo. I find the Yaris to be the second most interesting to drive, I've never noticed Yaris interiors to fade early or rattle particularly much. Every customer that buys a Yaris is happy as hell with them, trade ins are rare and usually because the person buys another Yaris or upgrades to a Camry. I've yet to have a customer come in and be unhappy with the Yaris in 6 years. They last and last, endure torture from owners who don't maintain them properly and keep on trucking.

Fiesta.. I don't have much of an opinion, they look nice and their interiors look nice but I've not driven in one new or used.

Do I think the list is fair? No, I don't. I really don't think the Mazda 2 or Accent has any business being at those spots. I'd vote Fit, Yaris, Mazda 2 in that order from my experience.

Reality is we're buying cheap eco boxes, quality can only go so far. They're all probably a fine choice and will last mechanically.
^^^^^ Very interesting. I still put the Yaris ahead re highest MPG potential. However, if I was an avid bicyclist, I might put the Fit on top re the fold up back seat allowing easy bicycle transport without having to get a rack.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
JD Power ratings are based on the first 90 days of ownership.

Who in the hell would be influenced by what they say? I want to know what it performs like after 10 years!

...90 days?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The '11 FIT base w/ a 5 speed auto has been flawless for 2+ years and 25,000+ mis.. It's averaging 37 since purchased new . The other 1/2 drives it most of the time .

Last edited by Hershey; 06-20-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
90 Days!! Try again after 6 years and let me know. Except for regular service and gasoline, mine hasn't cost a dime, and nothing has failed except the fuel sender (warranty). I truly believe Chifte when he says used Yarises are hard to find, cuz no one is willing to part with them. I'm sure keeping mine...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
After my accident I looked around a bit for cars (ended up actually OWNING two other cars before coming back to the Yaris). I specifically wanted to try two out two new cars. A Ford Fiesta and a Mazda 2. I ALMOST bought the fiesta. I Hated the Mazda 2. H-A-T-E-D... It just felt like it had so little power, and my first impression of the interior was that it sucked. And the price was ridiculous for what you got.

Again, just MHO. After a lot of looking around I was "talked into" getting a Dodge Caliber which I also hated but bought because I was asked to by my wife (ended up giving it to my mom), and after that I bought a 2011 Chevy Aveo 2LT completely loaded and I still didn't like that as much as I liked my old base model 07 yaris. So I traded in my Aveo on this 09 Yaris even swap at the dealership.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
90 Days!! Try again after 6 years and let me know. Except for regular service and gasoline, mine hasn't cost a dime, and nothing has failed except the fuel sender (warranty). I truly believe Chifte when he says used Yarises are hard to find, cuz no one is willing to part with them. I'm sure keeping mine...
Yep, i agree.....and pretty hard to beat. i've skimped on some of the regular maintenance (only 15 oil changes, didn't replace plugs until 200k + miles, only 2 air filter changes, etc) but still other than the regular oil/filter/tire/battery/plug/bulb bit I've only been hit with the front wheel bearings at 110k and the alternator at 159k...and the fuel efficiency! I'm at 347 miles so far on this tank and only 4 bars have dropped off. The 5th one will probably drop after just a few more miles.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I think I just found something to laugh at today.
The Mazda 2 drove like a slow, crimped go kart.
It handled like a buggie with bad brakes.
That's not even mentioning the cheap materials and sluggish over all feeling when you drive it.

If I went based on the online reviews, I'd be in another darn Kia Rio I'd regret.
That or I'd go with an overpriced Honda that feels more like my grandmas old minivan than a subcompact.

I test drove more than 10+ cars.

Honestly?

The Yaris was the only one I had a rental and it had the most miles.
Yet it drove better than brand new cars right off the lot.
To me, That's was a pretty clear choice.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Hershey

The 2 Sport with the 5 speed manual can be bought for $13,800 . I liked the handling and interior . Had no problem getting up to speed with its smooth clutch and precise shifting . Better than the FIESTA with a manual that we test drove . For each their own .
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Oh. Well the automatic version of the Fiesta and Mazda 2.. They aren't quite as good.
I started out driving stick at 14 but I suppose I get "Lazy" with all my city driving. =P
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
I started out driving stick at 14
On dirt roads? ......or not
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I agree the Mazda being a fun daily but i disagree with the bright green color.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
ford fiesta and mazda 2 are on the same platform, not sure if the drivetrains are the same though.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
On dirt roads? ......or not
It was a mix of pavement and gravel.
It was a Chevy Luv truck, White and old as dirt. LOL

Of course I'd take driving that to driving my Kia Rio again. =\
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Hershey

An uncle had a LUV , traded it in for a El Camino . Both were nasty in the snow / ice .
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Hershey

Silver is good for the 2 . Kermit green attracts too much attention .
Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
An uncle had a LUV , traded it in for a El Camino . Both were nasty in the snow / ice .
One of my best friends in high school had an El Camino that his dad gave him when his dad got a new vehicle. My friend's uncle had a house in Incline Village (NV) and trying to drive up to that house, as well as some areas at the other end of Lake Tahoe (Heavenly Valley Ski Area, etc.), in that El Camino was a PITA....just as you describe...nasty in snow / ice.