Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Finally Toyota starts cookin with their engines and trannies

Report: Toyota to Introduce Direct-Injection in 2013, Turbos and Engine Downsizing to Follow

Toyota has put its proverbial powertrain eggs in just the hybrid basket in recent years, but it looks like the Japanese automaker is going to be playing catch up in the next few years with the addition of downsized engines and direct injection to help increase non-hybrid efficiency.

According to Automotive News, Toyota will introduce a slew of revised engines and new transmissions over the next two years in order to catch up with its competition. Toyota has quickly become one of the few automakers not to take advantage of the efficiency gains of variable valve timing, direct injection, and turbocharging. Prominent examples include Ford’s leveraging of much of its lineup on a number of different downsized, turbocharged engines to replace large-displacement, naturally aspirated powerplants, and Mazda’s Skyactiv suite of technologies that prominently features direct injection and variable valve timing.

Toyota is hoping to begin rolling out two new engines and two new transmissions starting next year. AN reports the first of which will be a new 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle I-4 with direct injection, slated to find its way into the brand’s hybrids. Coming in 2014 will be a 2.0-liter turbo-four, along with a new continuously variable transmission for small-to-midsize cars and six- or eight-speed transmissions for larger vehicles. Currently, only Toyota hybrids use a CVT and the Lexus LS and IS F are the only models in the company’s portfolio to use eight-speed automatics. It’s also been rumored that Toyota may introduce a CVT in the next-generation Corolla to replace the current car’s ancient four-speed auto.

According to our source close to the matter, Toyota originally planned on introducing a direct-injection V-6 in the 2013 Avalon, but delayed that to 2015 due to cost. Adding direct injection to current engines can tack on an extra $128 to the car’s bottom line, says AN. It was because of this added cost and an incremental increase in fuel economy that Toyota Motor North America previously passed on direct injection. The automaker has had direct injection-equipped engines on sale elsewhere since 2006, and only recently introduced the technology in the U.S. in the Lexus GS and LS and Scion FR-S.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/report-toy...#ixzz286WDayGT

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/report-toy...#ixzz286W98pGG
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrain View Post
... Toyota has quickly become one of the few automakers not to take advantage of the efficiency gains of variable valve timing ...
Looks at engine covers on the Yaris and Corolla in the garage... VVTi... Hmm... that stands for variable valve timing with intelligence...

But the author states that Toyota doesn't take advantage of that technology... someone didn't do their research...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Toyota has valve timing but not direct injection with VVTI.Get it together TOYOTA.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
All of these so called advances are simply coverups for the real problem. The public wants high powered cars to feed their massive egos. The public cant except high gas prices are destroying our budgets, personal and government. Consumption of fossil fuels may be destroying our environment through global warming and just plain smog.

What we need are cars that are cheap and fuel efficient. Cars that are built for the average use which is a single occupant driving less than 10 miles per trip.

Turbos are expensive and cause mechanical problems that are $$$$ to fix. They only work if the engine is run for hours at a time at optimized speeds. But the average use is a fraction of an hour at non optimum speed ie in traffic.

A lot of problems would be solved if everyone drove a Yaris instead of BMW etc

Last edited by bronsin; 10-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Yeah, you hafta laugh about the variable valve timing comment in the article. I wanna see Toyota catch up asap by putting 6 speeds in the low end models and 8 speeds in the higher end models. As Bronsin says turbocharging has its negative points regarding durability.

A note about Toyota and diesels. Who knows maybe they'll put one in a North American truck.

At a news conference last week in Tokyo, Toyota vice chairman Takeshi Uchiyamada wanted to set the record straight regarding the automaker’s diesel development. “We are making some of the best clean diesel engines in the world,” he stressed.

He was referring to recent press reports that Toyota is not putting any effort into diesels and is concentrating too much on hybrids. Rumors have been swirling that Toyota might withdraw from diesel production all together. Taking into account Toyota’s affiliation with diesel powerhouse Isuzu Motors and its recent tie-up with BMW (the German automaker will reportedly supply diesel engines to Toyota), such fears seem well-founded.

To crush these rumors, Uchiyamada clearly stated that while the company would continue to expand its hybrid and plug-in hybrid footprint, it is also planning to take its in-house diesel development to the next level. “We have developed the world’s first diesel electronically controlled fuel injection system, and are currently busy working on the world’s first clean diesel with DPNR (Diesel Particulate matter and NOx Reduction). In 2008, we built our 20 millionth diesel engine which translates today to an average yearly production run of over 1 million engines, making us one of the biggest.”

To prove the point, he unveiled a newly developed 3.0-liter diesel for commercial vehicles and a 1.4-liter clean diesel for passenger cars, saying that Toyota will go from strength to strength in diesel engines. Toyota currently offers four-cylinder diesel engines on European-market cars like the Auris and Verso hatchbacks (pictured below).

What this means for the U.S. market is anyone’s guess, but the smart money says Toyota will continue to press its hybrid advantage in America and only bring over a diesel-powered passenger car if the market demands it.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/toyota-say...#ixzz28CdofUZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Looks at engine covers on the Yaris and Corolla in the garage... VVTi... Hmm... that stands for variable valve timing with intelligence...

But the author states that Toyota doesn't take advantage of that technology... someone didn't do their research...
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Toyota also recently introduced the "Valvematic" system, whereas you no longer need a throttle body, all is controlled by the variable lift of the valves, for something like 5% more power and nearly 10% better efficiency... Just because they haven't gotten on the "EcoBoost" movement does not mean they've been completely complacent :p

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
All of these so called advances are simply coverups for the real problem. The public wants high powered cars to feed their massive egos. The public cant except high gas prices are destroying our budgets, personal and government. Consumption of fossil fuels may be destroying our environment through global warming and just plain smog.

What we need are cars that are cheap and fuel efficient. Cars that are built for the average use which is a single occupant driving less than 10 miles per trip.

Turbos are expensive and cause mechanical problems that are $$$$ to fix. They only work if the engine is run for hours at a time at optimized speeds. But the average use is a fraction of an hour at non optimum speed ie in traffic.

A lot of problems would be solved if everyone drove a Yaris instead of BMW etc
I agree. As much as I would love to see a factory turbo from Toyota, is it worth the cost of reliability? I don't think anyone here can argue about how long these engines last with minimal upkeep staying N/A.
I would also love to see a new manual 6 speed transmission, although if there are dependability issues with that, I'm happy with the 5 speed....
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Give me a diesel in my Yaris...I'd love to see the mileage on that.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Give me a diesel in my Yaris...I'd love to see the mileage on that.
+1

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote