Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
lijet

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Post Engine Cooling System LED in Yaris

Hi Friends,

I have Yaris 2008,

Since Y'day I have some error LED in the Dashboard "Engine Cooling System" ... (Attaching the screen short here with as well)

When I keep turn off my car for 3-4 hrs. I can not see this LED....but if I keep my car running for 1-2 hrs...i get the LED "Engine Cooling System" continues blinking & then AC stops cooling as well...(I check the AC fan it was working)

Kindly advice what & where I have to look for this issue...

While "Engine Cooling System" LED coming up ...Can I drive avoiding it for 4-5 hrs...or I must stop driving...

Awaiting for some helpful replies....

Thanks in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris_deshboard.jpg (91.9 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by lijet; 09-08-2013 at 05:49 AM.
lijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
check your coolant level

So have you checked you coolant level? This is a big deal, you could destroy your motor if you keep driving with the light on. Also check for leaks. If there is nothing obvious, take it to a mechanic or you will be walking soon.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The engine coolant temperature warning light flashes when the engine coolant temperature reaches 117°C (242.6°F) and illuminates when the temperature exceeds 120°C (248°F).

So, the flashing is an indicator that you are beginning to overheat the engine. You should check to make sure that the radiator fluid is properly mixed for the temperatures in your area.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
lijet

@ alanwagen : thanks for your valuable reply, coolant level is seems to be okay....
Macanic's words after thoroughly checking it up : " there is nothing to worry, I have checked with his equipment connecting my car & all connecting to points to deshboard seems to be okay..... he advised me to check & fill water into Radiator...every 7 days..
Just to check with you experts....can i fill the normal/ mintral water into Radiator or is there any special water I have to use....?

Pls advice...

thanks in advance.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ CTScott : thanks for your reply..

I also think that my car was beginning to overheat the engine...

Kindly advice...how i can check ...."radiator fluid is properly mixed or not?"

Thanks in advanced...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

You want to use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the mix. This is a less than $10 tool from an auto parts store.

In your part of the world, if freezing is never a concern, then you actually want to use a mixture with far less antifreeze and more water. Water has far better thermal transfer properties than antifreeze, so it is more efficient at cooling an engine.

With the water, you should use demineralized water to avoid scaling.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
lijet

thanks CTScott for advice...

I am in UAE/Duabi...kindly advice which brand is available will demineralized water...so I can go to the shop & ask the particular brand & kind of product...

thanks once again for your support & help..
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Demineralized or distilled water is not an auto parts item, but rather something that can be purchased by the gallon (or perhaps liter) in the grocery store or pharmacy.

You will mix that with the antifreeze. Normally people mix it half and half (or some antifreeze is premixed in the 50/50 ratio, so it is used directly), but you will want more like a 90/10 ratio of water to antifreeze. The water can also be used alone, without any antifreeze, but the antifreeze does provide a bit higher boiling point than the water alone.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Sounds like your pushing the limit of the Yaris cooling system, very hot weather and AC.

Scott is correct in the 10/90 mix, but I'd add a bottle of water wetter. WW has dropped the temps in my land cruiser by 10*f, it works great!

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Tags
air conditioning, coolant light, engine cooling system