Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
TPMS in Spare?

My 2013 has the TPMS light on. I checked my tire pressures and did the initialization several times, but it still stays on.

I'm wondering if the spare tire has the sensor too? I removed the spare tire about a week ago since I'm moving a lot of things and needed the space.

I'll try putting the spare back in the car tonight and see what it does. I only have 20K miles on the car. It is a shame that I would have a failure of the system before I had a real flat. I hate the TPMS... I do not want to take time to go to the dealer...

Anybody know if the 2013 has TPMS in the spare tire?
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
check if you have a rubber stem valve on the spare. If you do, there is no TPMS sensor.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Seems to be a rubber stem. Putting the spare back in the car did not solve the naggy yellow light. I really hate to make a trip to the dealer just for this, since I will probably have to take time off from work to do it. I did call the dealer, left a message, and never got a call back.

Perhaps I will buy a new sensor and have it put on the next time I take the car in to have the tire service done, assuming that Firestone can make the car recognize the new sensor.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
it should be under warranty though for your 2013..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Amdkt7 how long do you let the car sit for before driving? Anytime my tpms light comes on a overnight sit gets rid of it every time. You're considering installing a new sensor on the spare?If so please don't as its not needed. I dislike the tpms also, its a useless feature, it only turns on the light 15+ miles with no sensors.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

This is embarrassing. I should have rechecked my tire pressure a second time. I first checked it while sitting in a crowded parking lot while I was rushed with a busy day. After a couple of weeks my tire went almost flat due to a slow leak caused by a nail. I'm betting that I misread the gauge in my hurry. It probably was 25 psi, while my other tires were 35, and I missed a whole decade in the reading.

Anyway, a new tire took care of the problem. The nail was too close to the sidewall. That was a $116 to get taken care of.

My distrust of extra electronics and sensors in cars made me overlook the most obvious reason for the warning light. Until my tire made a grinding noise while going around a corner I did not know it was low.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
also - for future reference in our 3rd gens, under the dash next to that useless storage slot by your left knee, there is a tpms sensor button. if you ever get tpms sensors replaced and any tire shop tries charging you that ridiculous 90 dollar "tpms calibration" fee, tell them to suck it and go push the button yourself. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
also - for future reference in our 3rd gens, under the dash next to that useless storage slot by your left knee, there is a tpms sensor button. if you ever get tpms sensors replaced and any tire shop tries charging you that ridiculous 90 dollar "tpms calibration" fee, tell them to suck it and go push the button yourself. :)
Thanks! You are correct - It's a bit further under, but it's there. It is a little black button that says 'set' with the tire symbol next to the button. Ya learn something new everyday here, much appreciated for further reference!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
threshold on TPS is usually set at 26 psi anything under with set light off...also u need tech stream from toyota to have it work if u replace sensor ...all four have to be re entered .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Thanks! You are correct - It's a bit further under, but it's there. It is a little black button that says 'set' with the tire symbol next to the button. Ya learn something new everyday here, much appreciated for further reference!

unless ur car is older then 2010 dont push black button that is the main set when car is PDI ...if u reset it at 35 psi it will change the threshold now to 35 so now anything under light goes off ...older toyotas had this but at same time they did not have sensors in wheels but hub ...not very good .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote