Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #37
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
% over stock? max torque rating?

Can't really say much about that clutch without some technical data.
Please don't blame them, those Japanese can be really bad in English at times, especially their vocabulary. Grammars are out of this world!

Perhaps that is why they decided to put up minimal information in their English site, and tons of information in Japanese.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #38
changchewsoon

Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
That is some interesting information... can you please expalin more about it?

What MAP sensor did you used? Did you sed the one from the emanage or did you added another one?

How was the MAF signal clamped??

IIRC this is one of the problems the guys using the AEM Fic had. They were unable to clamp the MAF signal...
I'm currently using the MAP sensor purchased from Trust Japan, JDM Vios does not come with a MAP sensor from the factory.

The MAF signal can be clamped via the E-Manage tuning software, its a standard feature that comes with E-Manage.

With an E-Manage Ultimate, you could even clamp the stock narrowband O2 voltage.

Last edited by changchewsoon; 04-03-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I did not mean any blame, just requesting the information someone would need to decide if they want to buy it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #40
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by changchewsoon View Post
I'm currently using the MAP sensor purchased from Trust Japan, JDM Vios does not come with a MAP sensor from the factory.

The MAF signal can be clamped via the E-Manage tuning software, its a standard feature that comes with E-Manage.

With an E-Manage Ultimate, you could even clamp the stock narrowband O2 voltage.
where does the emanage ultimate clamp O2? I'm looking at all the wires but none of them intercept the O2 signals.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #41
changchewsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
where does the emanage ultimate clamp O2? I'm looking at all the wires but none of them intercept the O2 signals.
You need to look up the wiring diagrams, E-Manage Ultimate has an auto tune feature which you set in a AF ratio and E-Manage will try to adjust itself to dial in the AF ratio set by you.

It works by blocking the stock O2 which is narrow band and sends an adjustable lean signal to the stock ECU to keep it from pulling fuel
in a closed loop operation.

You would need to have a wideband O2 sensor installed to use the E-Manage Autotune feature.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #42
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
See now heres the thing lol, you say you are using E-manage Blue, but talk about the Ultimate as if that is what we need to tune the car. If you are using E-manage blue, are you getting any CEL at all? and are you running a decent AFR?

If you are running e-manage blue is it running in limp mode? Theres so many questions, because you are really the only one so far who seems to have got things working correctly on the yaris with no CEL and correct AFR without using a standalone system!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #43
taKuto
rice rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by changchewsoon View Post
You need to look up the wiring diagrams, E-Manage Ultimate has an auto tune feature which you set in a AF ratio and E-Manage will try to adjust itself to dial in the AF ratio set by you.

It works by blocking the stock O2 which is narrow band and sends an adjustable lean signal to the stock ECU to keep it from pulling fuel
in a closed loop operation.

You would need to have a wideband O2 sensor installed to use the E-Manage Autotune feature.
I'm currently wiring up an emanage ultimate and nowhere in the installation manual does it have any wires related to the O2. I understand the need for the wideband plugged into the serial input, but the O2 is still not handled by the emanage itself.

All i've been reading on the internet is that people are making/buying an o2 clamp. I'd imagine it's just a comparator or something feeding the lean voltage to the o2 once you're in boost, shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make one.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #44
changchewsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
See now heres the thing lol, you say you are using E-manage Blue, but talk about the Ultimate as if that is what we need to tune the car. If you are using E-manage blue, are you getting any CEL at all? and are you running a decent AFR?

If you are running e-manage blue is it running in limp mode? Theres so many questions, because you are really the only one so far who seems to have got things working correctly on the yaris with no CEL and correct AFR without using a standalone system!
I'm actually not the only Vios owner back here in Malaysia who has a bolt-on kit running E-Manage Blue without the CEL, I do know there's at least another half a doz of members from our club here whose currently running a E-Manage Blue/Ultimate setup with a BOT kit as well. However I do know majority of other boosted owners here went with Dastek Unichip, because it has a lot more features such VVT-i control, boost/nitrous control, launch control, full throttle gear shift etc.

Main reason why I went with a economic E-Manage Blue for the moment being is because I'm saving to upgrade to a standalone system once my forged internals arrive for the engine.

I upgraded my Innovate LC-1 wideband 02 to LM-2 because it allows you to simulate a narrowband signal to the ECU separately from the wideband, thus fooling the ECU.

By the way, I understand from some of the posts here that there is a difference between the JDM ECU and USDM ECU. I am not sure whether this could be one of the reasons why the E-Manage or any aftermarket piggybacks is potentially causing a CEL to be thrown its wired up.

I'll try to share as much information I can, please do let me know if you inquiries on my current setup and I'll try my best to share it.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #45
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Question for our install this morning... the manufacturers of the kit I bought tapped the block for the oil feed. We want to skip all that work and tap the pan. Any reason why that would be a bad thing?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #46
changchewsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
I'm currently wiring up an emanage ultimate and nowhere in the installation manual does it have any wires related to the O2. I understand the need for the wideband plugged into the serial input, but the O2 is still not handled by the emanage itself.

All i've been reading on the internet is that people are making/buying an o2 clamp. I'd imagine it's just a comparator or something feeding the lean voltage to the o2 once you're in boost, shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make one.
Dear Takuto,

Apologize for the confusion, a wideband O2 is exactly what I was trying to say regarding the wiring of E-Manage Ultimate which is for the autotune feature. An O2 clamp/simulator is mandatory, I missed out the wideband O2 simulator I'm using.

in a closed loop operation. <----My LM-2 does the job.

For the narrowband O2, like you said you could either clamp it or use a simulator. Personally, I think using a simulator is better as you could tune narrowband rather then clamping it at a fixed voltage.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #47
changchewsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Question for our install this morning... the manufacturers of the kit I bought tapped the block for the oil feed. We want to skip all that work and tap the pan. Any reason why that would be a bad thing?
Hi ChinoCharles,

Are you planning to tap the oil pan for both the feed/return of the oil for your turbo?

I would recommend you to tap the feed from your oil pressure sender and tap the pan for your return. You want to do that to ensure your turbo gets the oil feed via a constant pressure.

I too asked my tuner to skip all the work and tap everything right off the pan, his justification is that if we're driving the car in extreme conditions such as taking a hard corner fast, the oil inside the pan could be "pushed" against the side wall of the pan, and there is a chance of a vacuum being created resulting a situation whereby there will be a temporary cut of supply of the oil to the turbo. Not sure whether it makes any sense to you.

Also, if we're tapping the feed off the pan we need to calculate the correct height. Too high we might not be able to guarantee a steady supply, too low we risk sucking up all the particles at the bottom of the pan, although you could minimize the risk by using a magnetic bolt nut or use a magnetic oil filter such as one from Power Enterprise.

Alternatively, you can just use an oil sandwich adapter and add a pressure and temperature sensor for monitoring purposes as well.

But I would recommend you to use the oil sandwich adapter for an engine oil cooler, as the oil will be warmer since it is shared by the turbo as well. It is really a good investment even you're not planning to take car to a track or down the drag strip.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #48
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Makes sense. The reason ZPI tapped the block was beause tapping the pan leaves that line exposed to road hazards. We will figure something out. Thanks!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #49
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I hurt...... but doing chino's swap, the feed line is off the oil press sen on the front of the block and the return was tapped into the block just above the pan.... only down fall to tapping the pan would be that it hangs kinda low

oh yeah.... and I hurt
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #50
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
aw don't worry, Joe, Charles will give you a lovely massage in thanks of your hard work

But yeah now that I think about it, the return line, doesn't really matter where it sends up, right? It's not picking up fresh oil, just returning the hot one from the turbo housing...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #51
Black Yaris
der Zeck

we got the return line tapped into the oil pan right next to the oil plug fine

all that needs done is running the e-manage, then it should be a-ok

took us longer than we thought
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #52
Black Yaris
der Zeck

just to let everyone know Chino made it home with a fully boosted ride
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #53
taKuto
rice rocket

sounds great, lots of pictures! :)

any way you could pull the emanage maps ?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #54
Black Yaris
der Zeck

he ran with the tune that was put in there from ZPI back when it was installed on the other car.... I am sure he is going to tweek some things, then get it retuned......

object this weekend was to safely get Chino home with his car