Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Mechanical vs Electric Gauges?

I was wondering what is the difference between manual and electronic gauges. Especially for Boost/vac gauges.

I know that for an oil pressure gauge, you need to run a line from the engine bay to inside your car. I was planning on using a steel braided hose and won't have to worry about it busting. My dad did that with his mustang and it's been fine.

The question is of accuracy. I heard that electric gauges are more accurate. What are you guys opinions on this?

Wanting to know because I am going to be purchasing my gauges soon, and electric gauges are more than double the price of mechanical ones.

Sorry, I'm a newb. I searched google, but they referenced muscle cars and what not.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Mechanical gauges are generally less expensive. You just need to make sure that your vacuum line is long enough to go through the firewall and reach the final location of your gauge.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
PETERPOOP

Thanks. Do you know about the accuracy quality about both?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
LtNoogie

I did a Google search with these keywords. I'm new to this myself so you'll just have to read the opinions and come to your own conclusion.

mechanical vs. electrical gauges
Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
PETERPOOP

Ok thanks. I did something like that and all I got were muscle car forums. Strange. Ill check it out. But was hoping for people with the yaris and first hand accounts. ok then
Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well the main difference I guess is that with mechanicals, you gotta bring whatever you are sensing (oil, water, vacuum) TO the gauge itself. Which with electrical ones, you have remote sensors and a couple of wires to bring the information to the gauge.

So, in the end, it's a balance of price vs convenience. and keep in mind, do you want to take the worst case scenario risk of a hot oil or water line rupturing in your cabin, running down your dashboard and onto you?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
When I had a mechanical boost gauge, I sometimes had to re-adjust it because it wouldn't go back to "0" after I turned the car off - probably because there was still pressure stuck in the gauge/vac line. Electrical is the way to go now.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Electrical gauges drive me nuts. They take a second to refresh if you know what I mean. I've never seen an electrical gauge that didn't.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I mean electrical is the way to go on gauges that don't fluctuate often like water temp bs etc. But on something on a boost gauge i wouldn't do anything but mechanical. Because if you're going to be in an out of boost so quickly the electronic gauge will lag slightly and you'll be like, what is my actual boost level?

Its nice to have the boost ping and stay and drop and etc. I am sure there is a more extensive write up around if you look for it..
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
you're right it must be a quality thing, because i have seen some very shitty electrical guages... i have yet to see some car with any nice gauges out of my friends...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
LtNoogie

Camelll and I are both using nice Autometer electrical gauges. I do not sense any lag at all. I have posted videos of my gauges in operation.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Electrical gauges drive me nuts. They take a second to refresh if you know what I mean. I've never seen an electrical gauge that didn't.
Not with the Autometer gauges in my car. volts, water temp, oil pressure. Probably a good case for buying quality gauges!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
A gauge is worthless if it's not a quality gauge....

It's like buying a low quality helmet or seatbelts....why bother doing something if you're not going to do it right?
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If that's OBDII it's going to be very slow for any data you want to watch in real time.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote