Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
advocate

Drives: car
Blox Aluminum Lug Nuts

I got a set of these to go with my Rota Slipstreams and I have a couple questions. The wheels are lug centric if that's important at all.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

Took the car out for a quick drive after rotating the tires and the lug nuts got really really hot. I have never noticed this before but honestly have never really checked. This doesn't seem like the ideal part of the car to be getting incredibly hot...

Also, I was tightening them after rotating the tires and I was making them really tight. As I was tightening them they suddenly went loose for a second and made a weird screeching sort of noise. Mind you this is when all 4 lugs are on and already pretty tight.

I'm wondering if I tore one of the threads or multiple actually because more than one lug did this. I thought it had to be something to do with the lugs threading because they were already tightly on and as I was tightening just a bit more they got really loose for just a second as they screeched then became tight again.

So:
1) Are the lugs supposed to get really hot? Under hard braking? Both?
2) Did I break the threading on the lugs?
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Under heavy braking it is normal for heat to transfer from the brake rotor to hub to studs to lugnut since its all metal.

Ive done tire rotations at my shop and burnt my hand removing lugnuts on some cars that are factory steel wheels and lugnuts so i think its just something normal nothing to worry about
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
advocate

Thanks Jason!

What about the weird noise when tightening? I took em off one more time after and was careful not to tighten them as tight when putting back on and they didn't make any weird noises this time.

What's the torque requirement on our lugnuts again?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
76 ft lbs.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Yeah 76 ft pounds is spec for nearly all toyota cars. I just usually set my torque wrench to 80 though to be on the safe side if you have a cheap one cause usually they are off 2-3 flt pounds unless you get them calibrated every so often.

If you dont have a torque wrench sean i have one thats brand new you can have. Its a 3/8th one goes from 10-80. You can have it. Found it when cleaning up my garage.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I guess the only way to see if you ruined the thread is to take the wheel off and have a look :)

Given that "you drive it like you stole it" and the non-steel wheels, proper torque is critical.

If you say the lug nuts are aluminum, maybe you're lucky and it's the thread on the nut that's ruined, not the one on the bolt. Cause the bolt must be much harder to replace than the nut, I would think...
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
76 ft lbs.
Oh shit I have been torquing mine on at 105
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
also if you are hearing the noise you described it means you are torquing them on way too hard.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Probably stripped a thread. Good news is that the stripped thread is almost certainly in the lug nut, not the stud, since aluminum is much softer than the hardened steel stud. I'd be VERY careful with torque on aluminum nuts.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Probably stripped a thread. Good news is that the stripped thread is almost certainly in the lug nut, not the stud, since aluminum is much softer than the hardened steel stud. I'd be VERY careful with torque on aluminum nuts.
I wouldn't dare use aluminum lug nuts. steel is real. aluminum is not strong enough for the job of daily driving.

would only use them at the track, and would put steel ones in before hitting the road
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
+1, I've seen the wear on aluminum, they are cool, but they don't last very long in my opinion.

And yes, torque your lug nuts, especially aluminum ones.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
advocate

weird thing is that after hearing the noise on the lug nuts, I took them off fully and put them on again but not as tight.

The lug nuts still go on and off very smoothly. So I guess that means the thread isn't broken on them and they're still good to use?

Thanks for the torque specs Brian I'll be sure to remember that.

Jason your offer for the free torque wrench is very generous. I'll have to come by and grab it soon. I gotta get through school this week though first.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
advocate

I think the cause of the screeching noise is me actually stripping them on the outside, not ruining the threading on the inside.

I just took everything off 10 minutes ago and re-torqued to specs. I borrowed a friend's torque wrench.

Lower shock bolt is now 36ft/lbs
Sway bar bolt is now 44ft/lbs
All 4 wheels are now 76ft/lbs

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
76 lb/ft is the torque spec. for our 'steel' lug nuts. I dought aluminum should be as high. Check their manufactures spec's.
That cracking sound could be the threads shearing away from the lugs body. Yikes!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
man i could use a torque wrench then. Advocate, lucky you got the chance to install that sway, i havent had the time or the socket.

..maybe i didnt get a lug nut stolen, maybe it fell off..i should check my lugs more often.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #16
YarisSedan

Harbor freight. You can get one for 15 bucks. Its in fremont so not too far from daly city its off of mowry. I dont know how accurate they are but even if they are off its still better than guessing by hand.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
i was looking at Kragen one for $35 micrometer 1/2 driver 30-150lb ill check out harborfreight

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #18
YarisSedan

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=239