Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Never owned one myself, but friends/family that have owned them have not reported great experiences. As others have mentioned, trim issues, electrical issues, funky fuel pump issues and more. They look, feel and drive nicely, no doubt.

To your point, many of the parts might be cheaper, but it only matters when you need to buy them. We also know what they say about getting what you pay for.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Never owned one myself, but friends/family that have owned them have not reported great experiences. As others have mentioned, trim issues, electrical issues, funky fuel pump issues and more. They look, feel and drive nicely, no doubt.

To your point, many of the parts might be cheaper, but it only matters when you need to buy them. We also know what they say about getting what you pay for.
Well, I do appreciate everyone's advice, for sure. That said, we do plan to buy it. As I said before, I'm pre-granting "I told ya so" rights. Lol. If it does turn out to be problematic, we'll sell it and buy another Toyota.

It looks like Thursday will be the day. It's taken a long time. Hockey and gymnastics schedules pretty much preclude everything these days.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
2.5L is often touted as being one of the most durable modern VW engines. 6A was good in our 2016 sportwagen (with 1.8T).

VW maintenance will likely mean a few specialty tools, but there are LOTS of how-to's on youtube. i just changed the DSG fluid in my wifes '13 GTI last week thanks to the vids on youtube.

let me say this: i would buy one.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
one thing i did get for my wifes '13 GTI was a stud conversion kit because i found the wheel bolts annoying. was $50 or so and i also converted to the 12M sizing so i could reuse the pile of toyota nuts i have here (VW runs 14M bolts so the holes on their wheels are a bit larger...

i would convert any VW/Audi to studs. 100% worth it. just use threadlocker red
Old 12-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #23
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
one thing i did get for my wifes '13 GTI was a stud conversion kit because i found the wheel bolts annoying. was $50 or so and i also converted to the 12M sizing so i could reuse the pile of toyota nuts i have here (VW runs 14M bolts so the holes on their wheels are a bit larger...

i would convert any VW/Audi to studs. 100% worth it. just use threadlocker red
Thanks, thebarber. I'm sure I posted a response to this a couple days ago but alas it did not show up. Excellent suggestion on the wheel stud conversion. I've started to investigate that. I did pick the car up Thursday evening. It has such an amazing ride. I had it up on the hoist yesterday and started my rust proofing process. The underneath is completely coated in Rust Check Coat and Protect including all subframes (inside and out), unibody tunnels, suspension and chassis parts (control arms, struts, backing plates, steering rack etc). I also did my doors and hood with the thinner red Rust Check. I have to investigate how to remove the small black hard plastic plugs on the bottom of liftgate to access the inside to apply product. I also tackled the engine bay (strut towers, frame rails, exposed parts of the firewall etc), front quarter panels. Later today I plan to drill the top of my rocker panels and drill for access into the wheel house area via the rear door jambs. I've ordered some 3M paint film to do the leading edge of the hood as well as all the door sill thresholds as they are subject to accelerated wear from shoes. I have a bid in on a used, but excellent shape, set of Husky liners floor liners on eBay.

I had the dealership install a new set of snow tires as the all season tires that were on there are new. Right now I'm looking at a set of alloys for the spring, summer and fall. I have a lead on a set of 16" Jetta 5-spoke wheels (practically brand new) or I can go with a set of Touren TR9 wheels in matte black. The former would give a nice stock look, but I think the Touren's would look so amazing against the bright white car which has black accents. Check out the links below. Always open to thoughts from anyone interested.

These?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1470631242

Or, these?

https://www.canadawheels.ca/touren-w...te-black-w5239

I'd really like to go with 17" wheels, but that's an added expense that would be hard to justify at this point.

EDIT: I did a really quick and crappy job pasting on the Touren wheels, but it gives an idea of what the car might look like.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-21-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #24
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Enjoy your new car!

I like the silver wheels. IMHO, those all black wheels make your nice car look like crap.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #25
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Enjoy your new car!

I like the silver wheels. IMHO, those all black wheels make your nice car look like crap.
Haha, yeah, I know your opinion on black wheels. I think you mentioned that before when I was considering painting my Yaris wheels black when doing the repaint. I do like the silver ones very much, but the black goes well with the other back accents.

There were a few scratches on the driver's door sill, so I repainted that sill. I then applied grip tape on all high wear areas. Turned out pretty good and should stop all scratches in those areas. The tape went on great with the help of a heat gun. All my family members are feet draggers, when entering cars. Haha.

The leading 8" - 10" of the hood and the lower portions of the door sills will be getting 3M paint protection film applied. Just ordered some from eBay.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-21-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #26
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Good luck with your new car, 06YarisRS. It's a beautiful VW.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It is a great looking car.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #28
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
There were a few scratches on the driver's door sill, so I repainted that sill. I then applied grip tape on all high wear areas. Turned out pretty good and should stop all scratches in those areas. The tape went on great with the help of a heat gun. All my family members are feet draggers, when entering cars. Haha.
You did a great job! "Feet Draggers" LOL are one of my pet peeves.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #29
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I hope it treats you well buddy!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #30
06YarisRS

2500 km Update.

Well, we've had the car for a few weeks now and I'm ready to share a few observations.

I'll start with the good:

Drive quality is unparalleled, at least to any other car I've owned. The car feels so solid and tight. It is incredibly comfortable. It handles like a dream with great predictability. Driving it for a few hours straight on the highway is a breeze. This car is definitely going to be our road trip vehicle.

The 2.5L engine strikes me as a very finely engineered and constructed masterpiece. Even starting cold at -20C, it is virtually silent and smooth from both inside and out. I would probably appreciate the extra torque of the diesel variant. At low rpms, the car can feel a little heavy, but a slight shot of gas and 2500 rpm and above and it's away like a scalded cat. The 6-speed auto shifts very smoothly.

The quality of the interior materials and fit and finish impress me every time I get in the car.

Interior space is very good with decent leg room front and back. While cargo space obviously isn't near what we had in the van, it is enough to carry all my son's hockey gear, a few kit bags and a bunch of smaller stuff.

The 'not-so-good'

The HVAC system pretty much sucks in this car. In extremely cold temps it's all it can do to keep the windshield and windows from fogging, and, no, it's not on recirc mode. The A/C does come on in defrost mode but I think the ducting and air distribution is lacking. With me, my wife and 3 kids in the car, it can start to fog up unless I either slightly crack a window or run the fan on max. The car does heat up well and is fairly easy to control but I think VW missed the boat overall in execution. I just figured every car made today had perfectly functioning HVAC systems.

What car these days does not come with heated mirrors as standard equipment???

No bluetooth, also, again, what vehicle these days does not come with bluetooth as standard equipment???

Almost illegible HVAC symbols. I need my glasses to adjust heat, cooling etc. And, unintuitive controls (wipers, and especially the rear wiper and washed sprayer). I don't like the fact that I can't independently control the marker lights. It's no lights, or all lights. The dash does look really great at night, though.

These are just a few initial observations. Overall, I'm really warming up to the car and thoroughly enjoy driving it. Hopefully we don't run into reliability issues with the car.

In the last two weeks, I've been picking away at a few 'protective measures'. I already posted about the sill protection. I finished covering all high wear areas (complete sill and rocker edges, vertical rear door jambs) with 3M paint film. Also did the rear bumper top with the film as well as lower liftgate. I'm awaiting the arrival of my roll of 12" wide film to do the hood of both the Vdub and Rio.

I did pick up the 2016 Jetta alloys that were for sale on kijiji. Can't wait for summer!

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 01-20-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #31
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Hopefully these are all the negatives and you dont find more. Good luck in the vdub world. Word of advice, dont listen to everyone on vw vortex. Theres a lot of shit talking and that community never seemed as eager to help as this one.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #32
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Hopefully these are all the negatives and you dont find more. Good luck in the vdub world. Word of advice, dont listen to everyone on vw vortex. Theres a lot of shit talking and that community never seemed as eager to help as this one.
Yes, hopefully it proves reliable. I think you're right about VWVortex. I made a couple of posts and no one even acknowledged them or even replied. Definitely doesn't have the vibe this community does.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Used Alloys Install Started

I degreased, sanded, degreased, primed and painted the calipers before installing the used alloys, just the front, so far.

Hopefully, later today, I can do the rears.

I have been finding everything VW maintenance-wise to be rather weird. I will say that once you have done a particular service routine, it starts to make more sense. I did an oil change and it was an involved process - much more so than any other car manufacturer vehicle I've worked on. Having wheel bolts instead of studs is - at first - a little challenging. But, once you hang the wheel on the hub insert, it's not too bad.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-07-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #34
kimona
Super Moderator

Going to look very nice. Good to have a project to work on these days.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Going to look very nice. Good to have a project to work on these days.
Thanks man! I think it was you who advised me to go with the VW wheels. So, this is for you, kimona.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #36
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Big improvement!