Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
And the OLD car?

What is everyone (who isn't 16 and just driving for the first time, LOL) doing with the old jalopy? I'm having a hard time letting go of mine; as much as I like the Yaris, I love my old vehicle and am finding it difficult to say goodbye.

Did you guys trade in (no way; they offered me nothing), sell privately, passing it along to a family member, or keeping it as a spare? I plan to advertise mine, but am still driving it on short trips just around town...

Breaking up is hard to do...

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Sold my old beater for more than I paid for it.

It really all depends on what you have and what your financial situation is. If you have a family member in need and you don't need the money, giving it to them or selling it to them dirt cheap is a noble thing to do. Otherwise... consider what it's costing you to keep it insured and registered. Unless it's something special and markedly different from your Yaris (like my old Triumph), it's probably not worth what it costs to keep it.

Whatever you do, don't let it just sit there and deteriorate. If you're not driving it regularly, time to hand it off to someone who will.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I put it in on CraigsList and had 2 interested parties the following day, within 72 hours I had a large cash deposit on it.
I didn't get top value, but far more than the dealer was offering, and it was enough to cover some other large bills that were coming due a month later. When I went back to pick up my Yaris, the salesman claimed to have a friend of a brother in law, or someone who might be interested. I didn't mind telling him it was already gone for much more and in cash.

However, that was back in April when an economical Suzuki SUV was still worth something. My brother listed his truck at the end of September and got no response at all. It will soon be retired to work at the local greenhouse.

To make up for the loss in utility I put a trailer hitch and bike rack on the Yaris, and now I look forward to more Yaris accessories.

Last edited by SpaceShot; 11-18-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: addition
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I learned my lesson when I bought my previous car, I'm never again buying a car without either selling or trading in the old one first. That's why we ended up trading in my 03 Jetta TDI, it was a good solid car when it worked, unfortunately my husband had trouble changing the timing belt and after how expensive it got to fix it and how much time it took, I decided to get rid of it, it had bad kharma since the beginning anyway, and it only gave me about 36mpg. We would have gotten another VW but they still look too much like my old one, so even if I could have gotten a better deal for the trade-in, it wasn't worth it.

I'm very happy with the new Yaris though
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I just handed over the keys to my Jeep on Saturday to a guy that knows nothing about Jeep's. The good thing is I still get to play with it and build on it, plus I have money to play with now for mods, woohoo
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Luna V 2.0

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to Luna V 2.0
I let my mom keep it because she wanted to get rid of her Explorer anyway then a few weeks ago some guys breaks went out and crashed right into my old parked Tercel. So now we're trying to junk it and it's back to the Explorer. lol

Sometimes having a car sit around can come in handy, it's a good thing we didn't get rid of that car otherwise we'd be just down to the Yaris now.
Luna V 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What is everyone (who isn't 16 and just driving for the first time, LOL) doing with the old jalopy? I'm having a hard time letting go of mine; as much as I like the Yaris, I love my old vehicle and am finding it difficult to say goodbye.

Did you guys trade in (no way; they offered me nothing), sell privately, passing it along to a family member, or keeping it as a spare? I plan to advertise mine, but am still driving it on short trips just around town...

Breaking up is hard to do...

My "OLD jalopy" was a 05 Tacoma that I bought new in 05 for $30,000.

I traded it in and got $12,500 and I owed $11,500 on it.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Umm....I couldn't get rid of my UGLY, '91 Pontiac Transport VAN..that had 210,000 miles on it at the time I dumped it at Carmax to trade in for my cute, LITTLE Yaris LB.... I HATED that thing.....I needed a car quickly and it was cheap. I was actually surprised when they gave me 250 for it.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I had a 98 Subaru Forester (118K) and a 2004 Nissan Xterra SE/SC (40K). I toyed with the idea of unloading the X, as it gets 14-17 MPG and was still worth $10K. I finally decided to keep the X, because I use it for towing my trailer (that I use for dump and home depot runs).

I ended up selling the Subaru to a buddy of mine for $1,000 (even though it was worth about $1,700) to avoid having to deal with the hassles of selling it to someone I didn't know.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
After having the Yaris and the 240SX for over a year, I sold the 240 for $4200 back in February. $3000 more than I bought it for too .

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Kept the previous vehicle, an 05 4runner as it is great in the snow and only has 21000 miles on it. With trade in's dropping on larger vehicles, was not worth getting rid of it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I actually purchased the yaris as a commuter car, and kept my other 2 cars.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
had a 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited. decided we were getting a yaris and parked the jeep on the side of the street we live on when we weren't driving it.. sold it the week after we got the car. Good riddance! lol 16mpg no more!

i miss some of the features .. like the heated leather, the power of the v8.. but heck im saving a bundle by driving our little blue.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Well I still maintain 3 vehicles.

Watch the price of scrap steel...... just about any car is worth 250-300 bucks.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I traded in my car.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
Got rid of my 2003 F250 5.4L Supercab longbed. Went from 15.5 mpg average to 41.2mpg. Just a little difference!

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
hmm... i had a 05 toyota echo hatchback (the long waited hatchback that never came to the US). it was accidented.. the dealer gave me 10000$ for it, i owed 13800$ on it i think.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
I had a 04 Chrysler Sebring convertable, which I don't miss at all. But I do miss my 1989 Toyota 4Runner with 245K miles on it. I sold it last March for $3700, didn't want to pay gas and insurance, because it was just sitting around. I put that money on my loan.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote