Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Oil change time intervals

Back when I was first learning about cars, my dad told me to change the oil every 3k miles or 3 months (average drivers hit about 1k miles a month).
I pretty much only drive my car on the weekends because I have a work vehicle that I use during most of the week.

So here's my question... Should I be changing the oil every few months even if I'm not hitting the set mileage?

I don't want this to be some debate about the length of the intervals (3 months vs. 5 months, etc.) just curious if it's a good idea to change the oil on set time intervals.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
Back when I was first learning about cars, my dad told me to change the oil every 3k miles or 3 months (average drivers hit about 1k miles a month).
I pretty much only drive my car on the weekends because I have a work vehicle that I use during most of the week.

So here's my question... Should I be changing the oil every few months even if I'm not hitting the set mileage?

I don't want this to be some debate about the length of the intervals (3 months vs. 5 months, etc.) just curious if it's a good idea to change the oil on set time intervals.
My opinion is YES. My regimen would be every 3-5K miles and or every 5-6mo. Whichever comes first...
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
For normal driving with the Yaris, 5000 miles or 6 months (which ever comes first) is fine...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

kk sounds good. thx for the replies.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Depends on where you are getting your oil changes done. If your getting it a lube shop then your getting recycled oil so yes you must change it every 3k miles. If you are getting it done at the dealer or using ur own oil than probally every 5k. If you drive in heavy traffic long commutes every day then yes you should change it every 3k. If you do mostly freeway driving then every 5k.

The 3k 5k is mainly jsut a rule of thumb. Do you know how jet planes determine thier oil change intervails? Not based on how many miles the plane flys. But by how many hours the engine is on. Which is really the true way to base it. If you take in to account all the time you are stuck in traffic stuck in stop lights you are putting wear on the engine and oil. Which is why you should change it more often in harse conditions.

If you want to extend your drain intervails the safest most effective way is switch to a synthetic oil. Will withstand harsher conditions such as stop and guy and consistant high rpms.

Oil change is the simplest and most inexpensive maintanance you can do for your vehicle but has the largest impact if you neglect to do it. Oil change is cheap why not do it often. Although i dont recommend bouncing from place to place whoever has the cheapest oil change as it is best to take your car to one shop you know and trust consistantly cause they will know your car best and its maintanace records. If price and budget is a concern there are many compedators that advertise low oil changes to get you in the door. some as low as 12.99. At that price you cant afford not to change you oil frequently. Just be weary as they will try to upsell you unneeded items or items before they are really needed such as air filters, brakes, fluid services and fuel injection/air induction services.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
YarisSedan,
Before you start spewing your bullshit all over the internet, you should know the facts dude. I happen to manage a lube shop. Where the hell you get off saying that lube shops use recycled oil is beyond me. Pull your head out and know what you are talking about. We sale the same brands that you find on the shelf at Wal-Mart or auto parts stores. Because they have oil in bulk tanks doesn't mean it is recycled. There are enough misconceptions about our industry without knuckleheads like you spreading your crap.
As far those unneeded items you refer to, why don't you do your homework. Go look at AAA's website or google Car Care Aware. How long do you think an air filter is supposed to last? Get a life and quit passing out your ignorant advice.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

I like how this thread went off-topic within 5 posts and turned into exactly what I stated in my original post I didn't want this thread to turn into.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWhite View Post
YarisSedan,
Before you start spewing your bullshit all over the internet, you should know the facts dude. I happen to manage a lube shop. Where the hell you get off saying that lube shops use recycled oil is beyond me. Pull your head out and know what you are talking about. We sale the same brands that you find on the shelf at Wal-Mart or auto parts stores. Because they have oil in bulk tanks doesn't mean it is recycled. There are enough misconceptions about our industry without knuckleheads like you spreading your crap.
As far those unneeded items you refer to, why don't you do your homework. Go look at AAA's website or google Car Care Aware. How long do you think an air filter is supposed to last? Get a life and quit passing out your ignorant advice.
Where does he mention that they use recycled oil? In general, I agree with what he states.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
edmcc
What the Pho?

Drives: '08 Meteorite Metallic MT LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Where does he mention that they use recycled oil? In general, I agree with what he states.
Second sentence.
edmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

I hear quick lube gets their oil from the recycle tanks at Wal-mart. Why do think they offer to take it for free, because they turn around and resell it... Of course I'm 'ing you... Recycled Oil...

At least the hour meter for engine oil change intervals was accurate...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Depends on where you are getting your oil changes done. If your getting it a lube shop then your getting recycled oil so yes you must change it every 3k miles. If you are getting it done at the dealer or using ur own oil than probally every 5k. If you drive in heavy traffic long commutes every day then yes you should change it every 3k. If you do mostly freeway driving then every 5k.

The 3k 5k is mainly jsut a rule of thumb. Do you know how jet planes determine thier oil change intervails? Not based on how many miles the plane flys. But by how many hours the engine is on. Which is really the true way to base it. If you take in to account all the time you are stuck in traffic stuck in stop lights you are putting wear on the engine and oil. Which is why you should change it more often in harse conditions.

If you want to extend your drain intervails the safest most effective way is switch to a synthetic oil. Will withstand harsher conditions such as stop and guy and consistant high rpms.

Oil change is the simplest and most inexpensive maintanance you can do for your vehicle but has the largest impact if you neglect to do it. Oil change is cheap why not do it often. Although i dont recommend bouncing from place to place whoever has the cheapest oil change as it is best to take your car to one shop you know and trust consistantly cause they will know your car best and its maintanace records. If price and budget is a concern there are many compedators that advertise low oil changes to get you in the door. some as low as 12.99. At that price you cant afford not to change you oil frequently. Just be weary as they will try to upsell you unneeded items or items before they are really needed such as air filters, brakes, fluid services and fuel injection/air induction services.

And did you even read my first post? None of this acknowledges anything I was asking. You should have made your own thread if you felt like jacking mine.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Double threads on this subject... Well there are a lot more but two current ones anyway...-

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13184
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Yes. The oil is still picking up condensation and other contaminants even if you are not hitting the mileage recommendation.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Double threads on this subject... Well there are a lot more but two current ones anyway...-

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13184
That thread you linked is about mileage, not about the amount of time between oil changes. I did a search before I posted this thread and only came up with mileage debate threads. Reread my first post.

Also, check the time stamp on that thread you linked. I posted mine hours before that one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarWhite View Post
YarisSedan,
I apoligize for being sterotipical. Where i am from my local bay area. I have managed a few shops before and worked as a mechanic as well. I wont state the name but i worked for a franchise that has MANY locations in the bay area that uses recycled oil. The same company that delivers to us also delivers to many many shops in the bay area. So i know that nearly everyone in my local area that offers the 11.95 12.99 so on oil changes. Is able to give such a low price because they pay about 1.70 a quart or maybe less depending on what type of quality of bulk oil they decide to purchase. So i am just stating if you are getting your oil change at that price i owuld be weary to the quality of the oil. Since if you purchased off the shelf oil at any auto store and filter it owuld cost you more than 11.95 so makes you wonder how its possible if they are using a high quality bulk oil.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
That thread you linked is about mileage, not about the amount of time between oil changes. I did a search before I posted this thread and only came up with mileage debate threads. Reread my first post.

Also, check the time stamp on that thread you linked. I posted mine hours before that one.
Yeah, I know you were first...
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I just moved out into the country, and my drive to work is about 95% 80mph each way, for a total of 140 miles round trip. So I'm really easy on the oil. I use only synthetic 0w-20 and my wear numbers are actually lower then most Yarii that use a higher viscosity. Given my drive, I plan on changing the oil every 7,000 miles. I currently got 51,000 miles on the odometer, and should be around 90,000 miles by this time next year. Yaris are great cars!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
I just moved out into the country, and my drive to work is about 95% 80mph each way, for a total of 140 miles round trip. So I'm really easy on the oil. I use only synthetic 0w-20 and my wear numbers are actually lower then most Yarii that use a higher viscosity. Given my drive, I plan on changing the oil every 7,000 miles. I currently got 51,000 miles on the odometer, and should be around 90,000 miles by this time next year. Yaris are great cars!
I'd say your fine at that interval...