Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Suey 1958

Drives: 2007 toyota Yaris
07 rear wiper blade problem?

Hey Folks, The rear wiper blade on my 07 hatchback usually sits in a horizontal position RIGHT? WELL, I was cleaning about 5 inches of ice and snow off the top of the car, it slid down the back and pushed the wiper blade down (drooping down into a vertical position) I doesnt want to stay when I place it back into the vertical position (just keeps falling back down) Did I strip something out or what? I would very much appreciate any insight that any of you may have. OH, and I have to say, I love my Yaris. Thanks, Suey
Suey 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
try removing the arm and reposition it. If not then maybe take the motor and gear set apart, highly unlikely.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Suey 1958

Drives: 2007 toyota Yaris
Thanks EZ Hacker, The nut under the plastic cover (holding the wiper arm on) was very loose. Its been loose for a long time as it has stripped almost all the splines off of the shaft. I just assumed that I broke something when all the ice fell off on it. I tightened it down with a death grip so I think It's OK. Suey
Suey 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Toyota wiper blade mounts are usually not splined. This has two benefits.
1) You can fine tune the adjustment.
2) It will "slip" under stress and not break/strip anything.

The downside of course is that they have to be adequately tightened or they will "slip" when it is not warrented.
You do not want to overtighten it either.

Are you shure the splines were worn off..... or maby, it never had any to begin with?
I know for a fact that the front wipers are not splined as one lossened soon after I purchased the car.

BTW, the exact same thing happened to my Celica's rear wiper during a snow/ice storm.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-13-2011 at 06:11 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote