Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
aznbabiegrlx0x0
CONNiE

Drives: 07 yaris liftback meteorite
RS SPOILER falling off =[

BLAH... lately ive been having bad luck with my mods.. lightbulbs blew out on my projector headlights last week, the dash panels werent fitting right. AND NOW MY RS SPOILER IS FALLING OFF. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

DOES ANYONE KNOW.. you know that round piece that covers the top screw part. that painted little round piece, that screw that is right underneath the round panel thing, it's completely loose. and the problem is i can't even screw it back in. i kept trying to screw it and it seems like it won't even screw back in! Which means that the spoiler is prolly in danger of flying off my car. BLAH! Does anyone know how long that screw is? I was thinking either the screw broke in half, which might be why it isn't going back in or something else. I have no idea. I got it installed at a Toyota service center, and since its aftermarket, i don't think there is a warranty. I'm depressed. Does anyone know whats wrong with the screw? The screw is now only about 1 inch long, does anyone know how long its supposed to be? I was going to unscrew the other side and check, but i don't want to mess that side up too. sighs.
aznbabiegrlx0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
When they installed the spoiler, they probably drilled the holes a bit too big or screw in the screw too much and slightly stripped the sheet metal.

The way to remedy it is to find sheet metal screws that are a size wider not longer. Length doesn't matter since you need the screw to hold onto the thin piece of metal of the hatch.

Since the holes are widen, a wider screw would help gripe onto the metal. Just make sure the screw isn't so wide that it doesn't fit into the spoiler hole. Also when you screw it on, make sure the screw is snug on there but not too tight to the point where you would strip out the hole again.

Also if the spoiler was double sided taped on as well, it should hold on for now since the spoiler is pretty light. Just get it done asap. Also remember to get screws that are stainless steel so it doesn't rust.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
aznbabiegrlx0x0
CONNiE

Drives: 07 yaris liftback meteorite
ALRIGHT THANKS!! =D
aznbabiegrlx0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
I have the same spolier, what i did with mine was, I added a washer to the screw and I drilled a big enough hole to the inside of hatch so I can add a nut, oh yeah double side tape is a must. Good Luck

Last edited by Yarice; 11-03-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Good luck with your installation. I don't even have one yet. Gonna get one from Bengolf TMW which should look alot nicer on the Carbon Fibre hatch that just has holes in it.
:)
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
Good luck with your installation. I don't even have one yet. Gonna get one from Bengolf TMW which should look alot nicer on the Carbon Fibre hatch that just has holes in it.
:)
Sweet you got a seibon cf hatch too?
I couldn't bring myself to drill holes it it to mount my stock "s" wing so I used
3m double sided tape, worked great .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
It already had the holes drilled in it. I got it from another friends car. It is lighter and I guess every little bit of weight loss does help out.

The double sided tape works well, I put in the screws as an added safety measure. Don't want it blowing off the car on the track or highway. We get alot of rain here, and I am still paranoid about the tape when it snows.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I have the same spolier, what i did with mine was, I added a washer to the screw and I drilled a big enough hole to the inside of hatch so I can add a nut
I did exactly the same thing. Especially with the carbon fiber hatch, those screws are not going to remain secure over time.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Try using and expansion nut instead of a washer and nut on the back. It will be alot easier to put in.
(rubber grommet that slides into pre-drilled whole, it has threads inside)
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
can u guys show me me pics of what you mean by making a bigger hole to put a nut on the other side?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote