Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #73
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I'll let you know about the ECU reflash the guy is in Texas but is sort of hard to get a hold of by email guess hes one of those old school guys.

I'm currently running my DD tires which are conti extreme contact DW's they are pretty good as long as its really cold or raining which being in So cal doesn't happen very often. But I'm going to be buy a separate set of wheels and tires in the coming months I figure the R1R's or RS3 should knock a few seconds off my time. Not sure what I'm going to be doing about rims though I don't know if I have the patience to wait for the 949racing wheels or if I should go cheap and buy a set of trmotorsports 6ul knockoff's.
At one of the last events I was talking to a rep from osgiken and for a few weeks I was seriously considering moving to FSP but I don't think the Yaris will be all that successful since more powerful cars and diffs are allowed.
I figure with a proper STF build you should be able to get a yaris down to 1.5-2s off a nat level STCivic on a 60s course.
Here are the packwood results if you haven't seen them. Andy Hollis will be the guy to take down
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=51062
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #74
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I've got a bunch of wire so I can move the battery to the trunk and it only adds something like 2lbs plus it gets rid of that stupid high battery in the front.
You want to add weight to move weight? Waste of time. Put a 6lb battery in the stock location and call it a day.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #75
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I'd like to play with FSP for the LSD. lol. yaris needs it so much.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #76
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I'd like to play with FSP for the LSD. lol. yaris needs it so much.
I think the Yaris would be way more fun in FSP than in STFail. LSD, light flywheel, big wheels and tires (wide and short), power.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
You want to add weight to move weight? Waste of time. Put a 6lb battery in the stock location and call it a day.
It's not quite adding weight since the wire only weighs 3 lbs and my battery currently weighs 27. The braille is on my list of improvements I just don't like having weight up high, hell I'd move the battery where most of the CAI's pull in just to get the weight lower on the car. But I'm sure that 6lbs up top make almost no difference.

I've found the LSD isn't such an issue if you get rid of the front bar but figuring out the spring rates you need to run to compensate for no front bar is another matter all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
I think the Yaris would be way more fun in FSP than in STFail. LSD, light flywheel, big wheels and tires (wide and short), power.
I believe its STFu
Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #78
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:

It's not quite adding weight since the wire only weighs 3 lbs and my battery currently weighs 27. The braille is on my list of improvements I just don't like having weight up high, hell I'd move the battery where most of the CAI's pull in just to get the weight lower on the car. But I'm sure that 6lbs up top make almost no difference.
Sorry, 30lbs in the back is not an improvement over 6lbs in the front. Also don't forget the mounting hardware and battery box if you are using a non-sealed battery. But it will be worth it for the added inconvenience of having the battery using up hatch space.

Go look at fast ST Hondas, you will find the battery under the hood. But go ahead and reinvent the wheel.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have to say that is true of the Hondas that are competitive; battery is right there in stock location.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #80
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Can't argue with you on that the STCivic's do keep the battery in the stock location but I think those cars are more concerned with total weight reduction vs weight location. It was just something I thought of but haven't had a chance to apply since I don't have a sealed battery. I just don't like the f/r balance the car had from the factory and wanted to do anything I could to fix that.
The stock battery won't fit correctly anywhere in the trunk without making a custom case. But I'm sure I'll buy a braille or a pc535 and mount it in the stock location.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #81
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Can't argue with you on that the STCivic's do keep the battery in the stock location but I think those cars are more concerned with total weight reduction vs weight location. It was just something I thought of but haven't had a chance to apply since I don't have a sealed battery. I just don't like the f/r balance the car had from the factory and wanted to do anything I could to fix that.
The stock battery won't fit correctly anywhere in the trunk without making a custom case. But I'm sure I'll buy a braille or a pc535 and mount it in the stock location.
You can not effectively fix the weight balance of the Yaris within the framework of the rules. Creating work and doing unnecessary mods for the sake of doing them is nothing but a waste of time and money. Work on driving, the rest does not matter much.

The 99 car sits at 1800lbs, with 1200lbs of it on the front. Its not ideal, but I can assure it is faster than a 2400lb Yaris with a 50/50 split.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #82
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I never figured I would be able to get a meaningful move from one side to the other but from a numbers standpoint I didn't like the having 1350 lbs on the front tires compared to the 850 I had on the rear.

I don't think a weight difference of 50 lbs anywhere on the car will affect its ability with my driving skills. Its just one of those things Id rather not jump into a gun fight with a 22.

I haven't touched the car at all this season aside to play with alignment changes and disconnecting the front sway to see how the car behaves. I'm not really touching anything until I can get some better tires.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #83
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
So who was the white Yaris running STF at El Toro yesterday (07/22/12)?

Namer: Glad to see the girl back and driving the Yaris :)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #84
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I didn't catch his name but he was a cool enough guy. Yeah she was having the time of her life in that car I think it's her 3rd event so far but she's starting to get the hang of it.

I made sure to have Tom Berry drive her around just once to see what the car can really do. He was something like 8 seconds faster than her, but I was more surprised he was so complimentary about my car since its a hell of a lot slower than the ASP EVO he normally drives. I want to say Tom was about 7 seconds quicker in my car than in the white one so tells you how much tires and shocks are worth.

You didn't look bad in the civic though although that course must have been difficult in that car I was WOT in my Mustang and having a hard time of it I can't imagine how the civic was taking it.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #85
justjesus

That's so cool. Glad she's having fun out there. My ex didn't like the "work" part of it, as the dust/dirt at El Toro messed with her allergies way bad.

I had Mr. Berry drive my Yaris as well, with the girl and me in the car. He liked it too. He sure can toss that little thing around!

I hit the rev limiter about 3 times in my car. it was a crazy fast course!!!
DUDE, what about that "optional" diamond? LOL that thing was nuts!
The civic, otherwise, took it well. New Toyos aren't good for El Toro. But, come Fontana, they will be better. ;)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #86
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the work part of it either but you get by. I like the surface at El Toro more but for some reason I like running at Fontana better but I live like 5 miles away from El Toro so I don't have to wake up early when I go there.
Yeah I think I was on the rev limiter twice in mine but after watching my videos its pretty clear the struts are blown in my mustang so that'll likely be the last race for a while.
That diamond was nuts I kept taking the left hand side but after watching Jeff S video I think the right hand side would have been the better choice although the end kept me from really pushing the car since I was never sure if I was going to make it or not I was probably giving up a second or two in that last turn alone.
I would have expect the civics to be hating that course since there so highly sprung and the speeds that could hit were nuts.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #87
justjesus

I like running El Toro better. Not just cuz it's so much closer. I seem to do better there (or the others do worse? I tend to see others get more cones and DNFs at El Toro).
Sucks that your struts are blown. I'm dreading the day mine go out.

I kept thinking the right would be better. Everyone said go left. So I did. except the one time it came up fast and I didn't react fast enough and went right. It was funny seeing people do the same, or plow INTO the diamond. Good stuff. LOL

Nah. The civics are surprisinly, civil. hehe. Stiffly sprung, but it doesn't feel like it!! I actually think mine runs smoother than my Yaris in most conditions.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #88
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I've ridden along with you, it doesn't feel as stiff as it actually is. (oh boy, does that sound wrong).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #89
justjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ I've ridden along with you, it doesn't feel as stiff as it actually is. (oh boy, does that sound wrong).
It doesn't help that I LOL and sit right next to my boss.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #90
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I had heard they don't tolerate high speed turns very well(I think Steve Ekstrand had some troubles at the previous event on that right hand sweeper).

I've always figured you could get away with the super high spring rates because most of the cars are running some nuts penske or Koni 30 series shock that let you get away with it.

I'm not to worried about the struts on that car they've lived a long and very very hard life plus they suck so it gives me a reason to upgrade. But that $800 bill is going to be a bit tough to swallow so its down to street driving for awhile but gives me more incentive to get the yaris competitive. Knowing its still to slow with Tom Berry driving tells me I need to drop my wheels and tires down to a 195/50/15 size which means R1R's are in my future.

LOL I didn't think anyone actually hit the diamond dead center