Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #37
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
Why don't you make this A LOT easier on yourself ....

Simply add an electric motor on the stock water pump? That way you don't need to change anything and you already know which way the pump is spinning? (by looking at it when the belt is on)

why wouldn't you do this instead of changing everything?
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #38
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
because the stock pump doesnt come apart like that. my ltx camaro is that way, the impeller has 6 or 8 small bolts that hold it on, and the electric simply bolts onto stock housing.

but then again, this is the design of chevy, not toyota. and as far as i know, toyota isn't too happy about putting non-yota parts on their cars. the aftermarket seems to be lacking in anything that's performance related. anything program, internal engine,

timing, cooling, and suspension (other than easy stuff like springs/shocks). i know it's not apples and apples, but the camaro i have is completely not stock short of block and body pannels. everything else is tube steel, cf or fiberglass...and definitely 90% aftermarket. i have tubular upper and lower control arms, custom shocks, vette brakes, tubular engine cradle, aluminum rear lower control arms and panhard rod, tubular torque arm, aftermarket axle, lexan and fiberglass hatch, CF interior panels and dash, fiber hood, hella 90mm projector headlights, even the engine is aftermarket (except the block itself).

the only thing i can think of that's not stock on my car is the chassis and carpet, seats, trans case, engine block (just the block) ECM and wiring, tail lights, doors, windows and windshield...and i think that's it.

any way, sorry to go off tangent.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #39
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
^It doesn't matter at all. You can 1) remove the pulley and attach it directly or 2) put a pulley on a motor and run it with a belt so you dont even have to modify the stock pump AND you can place the motor anywhere as long as its on the same plane as the water pump (obviously, because of the belts connecting both).

I just thought it would be SO much easier. Also remove the thermostat completely, and just run a potentiometer to the electric motor to make it spin faster with rising temps and VERY slow at cold temps (it cant be stopped completely though, or hot spots would occur in the engine)
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #40
curik

Drives: 06 yaris AT
- already have a digital WP controller so regulating the WP isnt a problem.
- I'm planning to get rid of the impeller from the stock WP and bypass the WP pulley with a shorter belt.
- I'm asking mandriu which also bypassed the WP with a shorter belt whether his belt fits.

Hopefully everything goes according to plan and I will post the updates :)
curik is offline   Reply With Quote