Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
i still have the 76 oil tanker truck from them...brings back memories....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #20
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
i remember when subway had the stamp promo... get enough stamps and you got a free sub. oh, those were the good days :p
Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star..."
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #22
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I hear it all the time! The Shell station around the corner still has one of these.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #23
msmitka

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 2 DR LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I am convinced that self-serve did a lot of damage to society. A kid who was interested in cars not only learned about cars, but also met his neighbours. Checking oil, tires, doing windshields, all the things needed to educate them. Wrong move, getting rid of full service!

I do remember an episode of Candid Camera where they put a 50 gallon tank into a Renault or some other small vehicle, and recorded the expressions of the gas jockeys; hilarious...
For those of us that were around (at least in PA) for full service, I recall the promise was of cheaper gas. My neighbors in Jersey, where I believe they still have full service, don't pay any more for gas than we do here, and in fact, gas might be cheaper (not sure though - I haven't crossed over to NJ recently). Still for the sake of a few pennies, you're absolutely right.
msmitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #24
msmitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
"You can trust your car to the man who wears the star..."
I remember the slogan, and the service, but I'm not quite old enough to remember seeing the team of people come running out to the car. Wasn't it almost a sort of "pit stop" situation? One guy would do the windows, one would pump the gas, and another would check the oil?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #25
msmitka

And, along the same lines, I remember heading up to the neighborhood gas station for a soda, when the bottles had a deposit on them. You put your dime (yes, a whole 10 cents) into the machine, cranked the handle, and then drank your soda there, lest the attendant would come chasing after you for taking the bottle. :)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
I remember getting all kinds of NFL swag (cards, glasses, mini helmets, etc.) from the gas station when I was a kid. I can also remember gas being like 50 cents a gallon, although 99 cents was the cheapest I ever paid. I also remember the gas lines and rationing of the early 70's, odd/even purchase days, illegal siphoning, "new" locking gas caps. Fist fights, stabbings and shootings were common, especially in the city, on gas lines.
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hm. I pumped (and burned) 26c/gal gasoline. I remember bulk oil, as most of my cars used as much oil as gasoline! I also got to sweep out the service bays, and wash parts for 25c/hr, but only if the owner could afford it; didn't matter, I worked anyway, learning what I could.

In the 60s, we burned 103 octane; seems to me that only high-octane fuel available is at the airport, and illegal for the road...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

I do remember an episode of Candid Camera where they put a 50 gallon tank into a Renault or some other small vehicle, and recorded the expressions of the gas jockeys; hilarious...
Hahahaha!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #29
msmitka

Quote:
Hm. I pumped (and burned) 26c/gal gasoline. I remember bulk oil, as most of my cars used as much oil as gasoline! I also got to sweep out the service bays, and wash parts for 25c/hr, but only if the owner could afford it; didn't matter, I worked anyway, learning what I could.

In the 60s, we burned 103 octane; seems to me that only high-octane fuel available is at the airport, and illegal for the road...
50c/gal is about as low as I recall putting in my car, but I certainly remember seeing 29.9 gas prices on signs.

I remember cruising the local town, and periodically stopping in for 50 cents worth of gas at the Sunoco station.

I also remember, during the "gas crisis", when some stations converted to price per liter, as they weren't able to get their pumps upgraded quickly enough to charge over $1/gallon. What a fiasco that whole thing was.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #30
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Quote:

We had a Mom & Pop station that was affiliated with Shell, but not a Shell station that used to sell racing fuel that was 104 octane
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #31
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hahaa! 50 cents worth of gasoline was a quarter tank on my first car (which will remain anonymous), then I went to Morris Minors and it was impossible to put $2 in. What a shock when I bought my first V8!!!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote