Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Turbo Project is done. *NOT A YARIS*

Couple months ago I was making a stink on this forum about some of the poor choices that people were making as far as going FI and a few of you thought I was blowing smoke. So, I promised to be cool and lay low until I had something that I could show for all the drama I caused. Well, that time has arrived.

2001 Honda S2000 77k miles
Stock motor
1000cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Precision 5857 turbo
2.5 inch downpipe to 3 in catless and no resonator exhaust piping
80mm Apexi N1 Turbo muffler
Precision 600hp intercooler
Tial Wategate (recirculated back into exhaust)
Tial Blow off valve
4 bar Map
EBC boost controller with boost by gear
Hondata Kpro
PLX wideband

420whp/250wtq

Dyno Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01wnnLzOM8

In car footage soon, hopefully this weekend. Can't shoot and drive this thing at the same time, its a little much to handle.

Only thing that sucks is my Yaris got rear ended 2 weeks ago and its going to be down for another 2-3 weeks. So this is all I've got right now and its costing me $$$$$$$$ in gas. 400hp isn't that fuel efficient lol

Last edited by The Spectacle; 09-22-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Pics fixed
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
pics dont work
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
typical Honda, impressive high-HP but low torque; you'd still have to row through the gears to get the most out of it. Really fun on the track I'm sure
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Ok, look honestly I am not here to knock on your parade, i love the S2K as a track car and as it is light and nimble its perfect.

But you can't say you still aren't blowing smoke. I am not saying build something straight from scratch but you bought a Mase Engineering S2000 Turbo Kit. as stated in the video.

Stock motor is cool and all, but it wasn't built for boost just like the yaris, so i would think on building that up soon. If you need some rods, i have a good connection i can see if i can find some for the S2K motor. F20C right?

If you can recirc the system, stock vehicles do it. Even SR20DET. You will get over not having the woosh noise from the better throttle response/spoolup.

4 Bar Map is severely overkill. You lose precision while tuning. youre barely running 1 Bar of pressure through there. and you will be better off with a nice steady $40 MBC instead of doing an ebc.

Other than that your setup looks great and clean and i am sure it is tons of fun already!

its all constructive criticism so take it for what it is i guess
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
why is the torque so low? that's odd for a FI F20... bad tune?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
The Spectacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
pics dont work
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
But you can't say you still aren't blowing smoke. I am not saying build something straight from scratch but you bought a Mase Engineering S2000 Turbo Kit. as stated in the video.

Stock motor is cool and all, but it wasn't built for boost just like the yaris, so i would think on building that up soon. If you need some rods, i have a good connection i can see if i can find some for the S2K motor. F20C right?

If you can recirc the system, stock vehicles do it. Even SR20DET. You will get over not having the woosh noise from the better throttle response/spoolup.

4 Bar Map is severely overkill. You lose precision while tuning. youre barely running 1 Bar of pressure through there. and you will be better off with a nice steady $40 MBC instead of doing an ebc.
No problem with the criticism. To address a few things:

- I didn't just buy it I installed it with another person. We did finished it up in about 5 hours. I could take it apart and put it back together by myself if I needed to.

- Motor is staying stock. Unlike the Yaris, the bottom end is forged.

- I have no loss in throttle response with an open bov. I think thats what you were referring to right?

- 4 bar had no affect on tuning. Boost hold steady all the way through the rpm band and has no hiccups what so ever. I have some part throttle issues I need to clean up though. Actually, only one that I can recreate around VTEC if I pussy foot it holding the RPM (4800). Also, I plan to get a race gas tune which should be around 17-18 psi where it will make 500+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
typical Honda, impressive high-HP but low torque; you'd still have to row through the gears to get the most out of it. Really fun on the track I'm sure
Yea, this isn't a low RPM motor. You gotta remember, its a 2.0L that redlines 9000RPM. Can't have high redline, small displacement, high HP AND high tq. Something has to give. Car makes up for it with short gearing and lightweight chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
why is the torque so low? that's odd for a FI F20... bad tune?
When Honda built this motor, they designed it for high HP @ high RPM (where you need it on a track/roadcourse). High HP > low end tq when you think about it for that application. The car doesn't need much more power, its already a handful as it is.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
nice
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post

When Honda built this motor, they designed it for high HP @ high RPM (where you need it on a track/roadcourse). High HP > low end tq when you think about it for that application. The car doesn't need much more power, its already a handful as it is.

you are hilarious.

god forbid you make your power at the low end.. let's have a high strung car that can't get out of it's own way til over 6000rpm

i'm well aware of what the F20's shortcomings are, but i've never seen such low tq numbers on a boosted s2000
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by Tamago; 09-22-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
The Spectacle

Show me a car that has great low end torque and revs to 9000+rpm...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Show me a car that has great low end torque and revs to 9000+rpm...
how about i show you a car that makes low end torque and doesn't have to rev to 9000 to make decent horsepower....

you realize that horsepower is just a function of torque and RPM right?
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
The Spectacle

Not going to go back and forth with you over it. To each his own.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Not going to go back and forth with you over it. To each his own.
so, you're admitting that you have no idea how horsepower is calculated

we're back where we were, laughing at you a few months ago it seems
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
PETERPOOP

Just leave him alone Tamago. Let him enjoy his new toy. :)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
First, Peter, for the love of Jesus, resize your sig you're expanding the screen.

I understand that it is a forged bottom, but the S4 is all forged, but past 550tqs rods start to bend and catastrophe starts. So you better hope you're race gas tune doesn't destroy it. So what do we do.... buy chinese rods :P

Also, everyones right, that Tq # is uniquely low, I don't think I have ever seen a torque rating at almost half of the horsepower almost ever. It should be making atleast 300+ tqs.

I know you have Hondata which is the best option in this case other than Standalone, but who is doing this tuning for you and what is your AFR readings looking like?
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
First, Peter, for the love of Jesus, resize your sig you're expanding the screen.
No can do. It fits my screen just fine. :)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
how about i show you a car that makes low end torque and doesn't have to rev to 9000 to make decent horsepower....

you realize that horsepower is just a function of torque and RPM right?
Show us your degree in physics.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Show us your degree in physics.
horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252

the higher you rev your torqueless wonder, the more horsepower you make "mathematically"

that's the one and only reason an S2000 will make 207whp on a dyno and only put down 135lb/ft of torque. revving the piss out of it.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Peterpoop, can you please resize your sig just a little bit so it fits in the frame?
The height is probably OK but the width?
Thanks, man.