Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #73
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
You need to take a small flat head and clean out the grooves.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #74
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
so, I going to do a DIY ground kit... I was just going to buy some bulk 4 or 6 gauge car stereo wire in blue to match my theme, .
i believe there is a difference between stereo wire & power wire... i could be wrong, but im pretty sure i was told that by an electrical engineer once...

not sure if it makes a diff on this or not...
Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #75
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
No difference really as long as it's power/ground wire.
There are differences between audio/speaker wire and power wire.

Most power wires are aluminum, alloy or silver speaker wires are usually copper.

I have bulk spools of actual 8 gauge ground wire, The only difference really is the ground wire is braided for strength and not covered. the 8Awg is round twisted and appears to be aluminum, the standard 8 gaauge if flat braided wire also appears to be aliminum.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #76
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Those of you who bought from eBay seller 'racingguys' will be pleased to know that their UPS account is now active again.

My shipment left California yesterday.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #77
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Those of you who bought from eBay seller 'racingguys' will be pleased to know that their UPS account is now active again.

My shipment left California yesterday.
Good to hear. Hope you guys get yours soon.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 AM   #78
eco

I ordered from them about 2 weeks ago,got it last week,still need to install it,I aslo ordered a voltage stabilizer,like $75.00.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #79
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco
I ordered from them about 2 weeks ago,got it last week,still need to install it,I aslo ordered a voltage stabilizer,like $75.00.
let me know if the adapter oart of the ground wire kit works with the tanabe strut bar. It looks like the strut may be blocking the location because it sits pretty low and close to the battery. It's the only thing holding me back from getting one.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #80
Yaris-TJ

Drives: Yaris Sedan ST Barcelona Red
have you guys noted a performance change? is it worth?
Yaris-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #81
eco

Itsmydaily,Ill let you know,it looks like it will be tight,but Im waiting for the voltage stabilizer now,so i can do them both at once,Ill tell you in about 3 days.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #82
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris-TJ
have you guys noted a performance change? is it worth?
Voltage stabilizers are a bit overkill but can help when compnents drawing gobs of raw power off the battery are used. All cars have voltage regulators built in the alternator and most have secondary regulators under the dash for ECU and fuse pannel power...

grounding kits don't hurt at all but they do very little.

IMO people that install grounding kits and can emidiatly fell a boost in HP are completly full of it !

On older cars they tend to help more when corroded grounds and rusted pannels are present but with a new car or even a couple years old, Any gains are very VERY small.
Also many grounding kit connections are pretty much useless and people tend to take them over the top. Like grounding the valve cover.... Keep it simple. Every ground does not need to run directly to the battery. Ground can be run in series. 4 connections to the battery is all you need. One to the fire wall, one to each strut tower or inner chassis. from these points you run you other grounds in series.
The most efficient grounding kit runs large, clean grounds to factory ground points like places where the OEM harness ground connect to the chassis, isolated throttle body or places that have large gasket areas with few fasteners or where corrosion can come between contacts such as alternator brakckets etc.
Grounding the valve cover, head, and block as well as other components on the engine is not needed. The head and valve cover are well grounded with MANY fasteners.
Anything larger then 8awg wire is overkill. Factory uses 12 or 10 AWG in most cases.

I've been making, installing and selling ground kits for years for Bikes ATV and car, and out of the hundreds I have sold and installed I have never felt any seat of the pants gains like most people that install them do. LOL

The two grounds on the automatic Yaris are
#1 8awg from battery to left strut tower
#2 8awg from abttery to transmission

Wires that should be added
ground from battery to firewall (next to ECU/TCU)
ground from battery to right strut tower
From these points you can add grounds to
alternator bracket/AC unit
exhaust
throttle body
cylinder head

There is no need to add a ground to the transmission or left strut unless the Stock wires are removed. There is no need to ground the coild because they do not ground to the valve cover.
Also there really is no need to remove bolts and nuts to install a grounding kit on the yaris.
Removing bolts like the valve cover, manifolds, engine covers and throttle body etc can lead to oil leaks and air leaks not to mention over torquing them can strip holes/bolts, create stress cracks and break the cheap cast parts. The best method is to use existing bolts and holes available and in most cases a nother nut can be added to an existing bolt with threads to spare.
For instance
Alternator bracket has a pre drilled/tapped hole
Throttle body bolts can have a second nut added or use the waterpipe bracket bolt
lower ECU bolt can have a second nut added
firewall has unused studs
right strut tower has pre-drilled /tapped holes
Even the valve cover ground if you want to add one just pop off the cover, slip the ground over the plastic cover stud and put it back together.
This way the dealerships can't give you a hard time for removeing bolts and nuts to install anything.

The wiring kit like the one I made on my Yaris has all the ground in the kit coming from a central location on the firewall. I kept the OEM grounds on the Left strut tower and trans,
Battery to firewall stud. All wiring is using 8 awg copper high power and gold ring terminals.
Firewall to cylinder head
Firewall to exhaust
Firewall to throttle body
Firewall to right strut tower
Right strut tower to alternator bracket
Alternator brackt to AC compressor

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 11-08-2006 at 05:04 PM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #83
funkstrong

I was wondering about that. I don't want to sound like an idiot but I don't see how it can increase your hp. Would you just get a better spark?
funkstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #84
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Ground wires are not meant to increase HP imho.

It's another marketing point for ground wire/voltage stabilizer manufacturers when they sell these types of products.

My goal is to strengthen the ground connections of the vehicle to reduce fluctuations in voltage, and hopefully reduce this sort of fluctuation on electronic components.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #85
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

On a new car it won't do much if anything.
However better grounding can allow engine sensors to work more efficeintly becaise of equalized resistance.
Overtime ground points and connections can become corroded and rusted and poor ground can result in higher and lower resistance, poor ignition or false/poor sensor readings.

I have seen cars like my own Laser that did have several rusted and corroded connections after 10~15 years of driving. Components like the throttle body bolts and studs were really corroded badly and add to that a gasket between that and the head there is a possibility for a very poor ground. And adding a ground kit as well as cleaning up the original equipment grounds will help restore proper grounding and lost power. In my case I went through 3 alternators in a couple months and finally talked to a Mitsu mechanic for a rally team and he told me to clean up the OE grounds and add a few more to or close to the most important components to equilize the resistance. I did that and never had any more chrarging problems and a better steady idle. But that's it on a 12+ year old car, driven daily with 300,000k.

With gold terminals you don't have as much or any corrosion so over time you maintain the same performance.

I've heard almost every possible "felt difference" from other members from other boards about adding a grounding kit.
things like
faster 1/4 mile
Lower rpms at cruise speeds
Faster warm ups
Better throttle responce
Quieter engine
Fact is 99% of so called felt gains are bullshit. People get it in their heads it's going to help increase power and will swear it did. a basic Placebo...
Companies will tell you what you want to hear to sell you a product but for the most part these kits don't do any of these.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #86
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Ground wires are not meant to increase HP imho.

It's another marketing point for ground wire/voltage stabilizer manufacturers when they sell these types of products.

My goal is to strengthen the ground connections of the vehicle to reduce fluctuations in voltage, and hopefully reduce this sort of fluctuation on electronic components.

well said
Old 11-11-2006, 02:37 AM   #87
eco

Hey itsmydaily,everything fits fine with the Tanabe strut bar installed,just make sure they dont toch,i got some sparks,but thats because I installed the kit after the bar,alot harder.I only have the alternator and the intake hooled up at the moment,I also have my voltage stabalizer installed,I deffinitly notice the car is smoother,and when I start the car,it starts quicker,and the starter sounds stronger.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #88
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Guys do I need to buy a complete kit, like the one the guys above bought from ebay?

I have a custom one, but there are only 6 grounding points.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #89
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
You ground what u wanna ground.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #90
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush