Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Smile We finally have our home energy use where we want it!

After 2 years of effort and $2k of expenditures which included things like re-caulking every window, re-insulating all door frames, insulating every wall socket and switch, replacing the broken instant hot water recirculator, flipping over to CFLs, having a whole house fan installed, jacketing the hot water heater, reprogramming the thermostat, and a whole lot of education for and self discipline from everyone in the house, we finally have our home energy consumption right where we want it!

Below is a graphic from a tool that our utility provider offers. It measures your home's profile and occupancy against others in your region with similar metrics. For reference, we pay around $0.13 per kWh of electricity and $1.24 per therm of natural gas:
Attached Images
File Type: png Energy Comparison.png (6.8 KB, 93 views)

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Pretty impressive that you appear to have broken even on your expenditures over such a short period. Much more cost-effective than I would have imagined.

Reminds me that I need to replace my dinosaur of an air conditioner.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
whats a whole house fan?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
whats a whole house fan?
http://www.airscapefans.com/learn-ab...al-cooling.php

Aside from its expected benefits our whole house fan also tends to help equalize temperatures between our upstairs and downstairs. This is a boon as our upstairs used to consistently be 9-11F hotter than downstairs, but now the variance is only 3-4F.

Share the Road

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

yeah we have that problem too in our house. the upstairs is wicked hot in the summer.

so where would that install? on the 2nd floor? does it suck air out ? or blow air in?

i'm intrigued since we plan to move our bedroom upstairs :)
Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

It would be installed in the ceiling of the 2nd floor, near the stairwell, so that it can draw air up from the 1st floor.

It pushes air into and through the attic space (thereby pushing the hot air out of the gables), so it sucks it in from within the house.

Share the Road

Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Nice! I'm pretty lucky here, with the multiple hydro power dams our elec. rate is only $.02/kwH. I still use only CFL bulbs and instead of using the heaters installed I use 2 space heaters at the 750w setting. My winter bill is only about $30-$40/mo. It's hard to do that other stuff because I rent. My new place for example only has single pane windows which sucks, but I'll be covering them with plastic, and making sure the doors have good seals. My saving just from switching to CFL bulbs has more than paid for themselves many times over
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

nice I actually have a hole (access to the attic) right in the hallway that is just big enough for me to get through but not big enough to get anything else through. lol so the whole attic can't be used for storage. I was thinking of putting a bigger access to the attic in this small little utility room up there .. so that would be a nice place for it . and and both bedroom doors would be just a couple feet from that fan.

I'm book marking it :) maybe if plowing goes well this winter i'll set some dough aside for it :) I could easily wire it in upstairs myself or just ad an outlet in the attic.. it would eliminate the need for the ceiling fan in the (future) bedroom :)
Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

$0.0903 here
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

i just did the energy wizard from my supplier and they said with all the things i checked off that we have in the house that our bill should be about 163 a month and in the summer we've had it as low as $75 (NO a/c) and in the winter it usually runs 100-110

so i guess we are at a good level :)

I'd like to replace the fridge with something newer .. ours just died and we picked up a side by side from CL for $300 it was in storage for 6 years but only used for a year before that. the owers purchased it at a house then started building a new house and it sat.

washer and dyer are older too it would be nice to reduce my water bill too .. but thats unavoidable with the screen printing shop here :( my water bill is usually 180ish per quarter
Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Ouch I need to do something for my house!

Last year(12 months till sept) = $3580
This year 12 months till sept = $3642
Then again its a big house I guess? Two floor, finished attic, very high ceilings for second floor, finished basement. Like 5 TV's, xbox, sling box, gamecube, 1 server, 1 high p. desktop, 2 laptops, 2 fridges, 3 sound systems, lots of cable boxes, and networking equipment.

I know Im missing a LOT of stuff in that list of stuff using electricity all day.

But this amount above is with GAS included in the prices.

But I cant exactly cut down, the house it fairly new, so everything is in working order with new everything pretty much. lol
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's awesome!

I have been monitoring my energy use for the past six months. I installed a system on my main panel that lets me see the instantaneous usage on any circuit. Just with paying more attention and replacing some older appliances we have cut our usage by 25%. We still use way too much though, as both my wife and I work out of our home. Geothermal for heat/AC and solar photovoltaic are on our short list of home improvement projects.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

geothermal is awesome if i had a backhoe i'd dig my yard out completely and set something up would work nicely with that whole house fan :)
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

solar price vs savings is near impossible lol
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
congrats...we had an air circulator in our house in new brunswick, but we had electrical baseboard heating and it was an old circulator

also a nice feature is washer/dryer with programmable start times so you can run it while you sleep when the cost of electricity is low
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
solar price vs savings is near impossible lol
Govt surplus is the way to go with solar. A buddy of mine in CA put in a 10KW system for $12K, using retired panels that were still at >85% output.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
we have a pool and the air set on 78 and in the summer 114+ with running the pool filter for 8 hours the higest bill we ever got was 300

since its fall now and our night here in phoenix are about 68, i only have to run the pool filter for about an hour or 2, we really never use gas heat so our winter bills have been as low as 68 bucks

it kinda ballances out to like 150 bucks a month for a 4 bedroom home with a pool

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
I'd like to replace the fridge with something newer .. ours just died and we picked up a side by side from CL for $300 it was in storage for 6 years but only used for a year before that. the owers purchased it at a house then started building a new house and it sat.

washer and dyer are older too
I like to keep things efficient on both sides of the equation, meaning I like to see a monetary break-even point within a few short years. As such the idea of replacing a working appliance with a newer one often doesn't make sense.

We've achieved the efficiency we have even with a forced gas furnace, washer, dryer and refrigerator that are all in the lowest part of the Energy Guide spectrum. Let's use the refrigerator for my cost benefit example:

Even with our high cost for power, I learned during my audit that our refrigerator uses around $55 in electricity each year. An efficient replacement model would likely use 30% less energy, costing around $38 per year. That's a savings of around $17/year. A replacement unit would cost us around $1,200, so if I replaced our working unit the break-even point would be 70 years.

The break-even for someone that pays less for power would be much longer. Of course, some older refrigerators use much more power than our $55/year, so the math can be different.

As you can see, replacing a broken or failing appliance with an energy efficient one is well worthwhile, but that isn't always true for replacing a working one.

Share the Road