Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Google maps and Android

Looks like a winner.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1435...urnbyturn.html
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Looks good, finally Google is starting to give us some stuff we want and need to try and compete with Apple.

It really does say something when a Mac Site has to give props to an Android based app.

Hopefully with the newest releases of a plethera of Android phones, it will only show that it will be the market to build for when your talking about there being 10 phones running the Android market, only 3 models of the same phone using the Apple market.

Although Apple carries along with it a HUGE chunk of the market share for market available phones. Google partnering up with any production company and carrier to make a limitless amount of phones is a strong goal to try and take away chunk by chunk from the Apple/ATT partnership.

BTW: Streetview Navigation FTMFW!!!

Also the fact we are getting a TON of features for free, that you cant get on any GPS, or features only on a GPS that cost $500 or more, is a complete awesome thing!

IF google can start pumping more apps into the market like this, I will gladly keep my Google phone, but just not the same carrier (Tmobile)

Last edited by Sabretooth; 10-28-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Sabretooth
37HSSV

I think google just is putting alot of time in making the droid platform a lot nicer and easier to use, Apple is just like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$... Honestly, they leave you with what you have, in order to update you have to purchase a new phone...wtf?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

oh and is anyone following the release of the Verizon Droid?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
I'm very happy to see Verizon embrace a free navigation option, considering in the past they were known to lock features out of phones in order to force customers to use their pay services.

Kudos to them.

Edit: It's also pretty amusing how quickly Garmin's and Tom Tom's stock took a dump. Stock tracker ironically provided by Google ;)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
be careful when using the word "free", yes the app is free and the maps are free but to use it you must have an internet connection and unless you either have a super duper data plan or you are using wifi connections you will have to pay for the transmitted data
Anyone who owns an Android phone and DOES NOT have a data plan is an idiot.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
EleKid
Eugenie たでし

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Anyone who owns an Android phone and DOES NOT have a data plan is an idiot.
+1
EleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Only 500mb for data? That kills it for me. I drive for a living and made a cheesy laptop stand and use MS Streets & Trips for navigation. I'd rate it good but not great. For data I use a Sprint EVDO pc-card modem. Sprint says it's unlimited and because I've had mine for 3 years mine might actually be unlimited. Newer subscribers are told it's unlimited but soon discover there's a 5 gb cap. lol My cell phone is just that - a cell phone.

Does anyone know how EVDO compares to the newer technologies? Is 3G considered to be the cat's patootie?

Sorry for the temp detour off topic.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
Only 500mb for data? That kills it for me. I drive for a living and made a cheesy laptop stand and use MS Streets & Trips for navigation. I'd rate it good but not great. For data I use a Sprint EVDO pc-card modem. Sprint says it's unlimited and because I've had mine for 3 years mine might actually be unlimited. Newer subscribers are told it's unlimited but soon discover there's a 5 gb cap. lol My cell phone is just that - a cell phone.

Does anyone know how EVDO compares to the newer technologies? Is 3G considered to be the cat's patootie?

Sorry for the temp detour off topic.
You can get a WiMo phone (blasphemy I know) and purchase GPS navigation software that doesn't require a data connection, then get rid of your laptop. I've been doing it for 5 years now and it's every bit as good as dedicated GPS units plus it's a phone and a PDA.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Sabretooth
37HSSV

I have my G1, and I can tell you I can kill 500mb a month, lol.
IF the GPS setup is decent enough, my Garmin will end up for sale very quickly.
205W for $120 shipped anyone?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you'd be surprised....there are a few

with my g1 i barely pass 150mb a month and my plan is 500mb

btw, im typing this while on my htc dream....in my truck...smoking a cig...lol
I don't think you can use the phone without having data on your plan, sounds like you're with Rogers, and I'm pretty sure they require a data plan, at least at activation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
Sprint says it's unlimited and because I've had mine for 3 years mine might actually be unlimited. Newer subscribers are told it's unlimited but soon discover there's a 5 gb cap. lol My cell phone is just that - a cell phone.
It's probably not unlimited. When they changed the terms they were supposed to have notify you of the change and you could cancel without an early termination fee.

Also they don't say anywhere that it's unlimited, it does specifically state it has a 5GB cap, which is the same for every carrier.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
AzNguy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I have my G1, and I can tell you I can kill 500mb a month, lol.
IF the GPS setup is decent enough, my Garmin will end up for sale very quickly.
205W for $120 shipped anyone?
i take it 110$
AzNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #13
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Sure, wait till the app comes out and its good as yours!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #14
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Quote:

Also they don't say anywhere that it's unlimited, it does specifically state it has a 5GB cap, which is the same for every carrier.

This is true, Tmobile shut down one person that I know of off his G1 when they first came around. He was nonstop for 20 some odd days, then they shut off his internet. Lets just say he wasnt happy. So I dont know what specifically the cap is, but there is a limit they want to abide to.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
2+2

Quote:
It's probably not unlimited. When they changed the terms they were supposed to have notify you of the change and you could cancel without an early termination fee.

What Sprint (and Verizon too) did in the past and maybe still do is advertise unlimited but cut you off if you exceed 5gb in a month. I've exceeded that much once I think and nothing happened. I try to conserve but Slingbox can run up the total pretty quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #16
2+2

Oops, I clicked on the "data limitations may apply" link and see they do cap it at 5gb. So it's unlimited on one page and there's a 5gb limit on another. wtf?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled2.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You can get a WiMo phone (blasphemy I know) and purchase GPS navigation software that doesn't require a data connection, then get rid of your laptop. I've been doing it for 5 years now and it's every bit as good as dedicated GPS units plus it's a phone and a PDA.
Interesting. Can you be more specific? Looks like a good alternative or you're very clever.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Interesting. Can you be more specific? Looks like a good alternative or you're very clever.
I use this software iGuidance (it includes three versions - Mobile, Laptop and UMPC) but there are others including TomTom that make GPS software for WiMo devices. Do a google search for Windows Mobile GPS. All of the map data gets loaded onto an SD card (about 2gb worth). iGuidance provides maps for US and Canada in the same package - or for those overseas they can get maps for their country too. There is no service fee for usage and map udates/downloads are free.

You can also load Google Maps and Windows Live both of which support GPS tracking but don't do the turn by turn trip stuff that iGuidance does (though I read that this new Google Maps app will also be available for WiMo.)

Also check out http://www.handango.com. You don't even really need a device with GPS built in if it has bluetooth as there are also bluetooth GPS antennas you can purchase (I did it this way before I bought an all in one device - GSM/WiFi/BlueTooth/GPS - http://www.glofiish.com/index4.htm?no=x650.)

I purchased mine from overseas as it wasn't available in the US, but there are plenty of WiMo phones for the choosing amongst US cell providers. Just pick the one you like the best and make sure they don't cripple it.

The best part? I didn't have to sign a contract with AT&T since I provided my own device. I can cancel service at anytime without penalty and move to T-Mobile if need be.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote