Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Suspension creaking

My 2011 3 DR LB, (automatic) has developed a creak in the right rear when I stop abruptly enough to cause the rear suspension to raise up a bit from the forward motion.

The creaking occurs when the rear of the car "settles" back to it's normal posture immediately after the stop.

Sounds like something needs lubricated....its brand new...1,800 miles.

Any insights?
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
try some lubercation on the rubber seats on the springs maybe?

double check all your bolts too.. one could have come loose just a little bit.

just some suggestions
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I've got the same issue on my 07...just been too lazy to do anything about it. I'll probably get around to poking around back there shortly.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
seems like my whole suspension system creeks when I go over speed bumps... front and back. Was hopeing when I change out my springs this weekend that would stop.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
red 5 door

Drives: red 5 door aotomatic
Cool Pivot pts,

Use some silicon spray on all the pivot pts in the rear,most jts are assembled dry and they just stick to bolts or shafts they ride on,try to do it with the susp unloaded.,jacked up car and wheels hanging.
red 5 door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
It is not your suspension. It is your brakes.

Remove the drums, lubricate the sections of the shoes where they slide on the back plate as well as the pin at the very bottom opposite the brake cylinder (cylinder on top @ 12:00, one single large pin on the bottom @ 6:00). The pin is a large (1/2" diameter maybe??) which both shoes "pivot" on.

You may want to blow the dust off the springs and give them a shot of dry lube also.

If you let it get worse, you will be able to hear the "squeak" when you take your foot off the brake pedal and the shoes retract.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post

Remove the drums, lubricate the sections of the shoes where they slide on the back plate as well as the pin at the very bottom opposite the brake cylinder (cylinder on top @ 12:00, one single large pin on the bottom @ 6:00). The pin is a large (1/2" diameter maybe??) which both shoes "pivot" on.

You may want to blow the dust off the springs and give them a shot of dry lube also.

If you let it get worse, you will be able to hear the "squeak" when you take your foot off the brake pedal and the shoes retract.
this is also possible... but considering its a 2011..., if your not that mechanicaly inclined, and dont have a spare car to use, I would get someone else to do this.

Depending on the miles, is it under 40k still? I would say this is a warranty issue also.. take it to the dealership and have a service writer ride with you to confirm the noise. If they agree that there is an issue, then they should take care of it.

If it is the brakes, let the toyota guys get thier hands dirty and save you the headache
Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We have the same noise from the rear of the driver side of the '08 sedan .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Dealer

Has anyone who has replied and/or had a similar problem had their dealer look into this? Just curious...sounds like a common-ish quirk to the Yaris.

(I'll spray something on the rubber-to-metal areas back there only because it takes about 30 seconds, but after that it's going in. I'm fresh off the lot with 34 months of warranty ahead)
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post

In my case, it's not the brakes...I know the difference between the two, and I've already fixed the brake noise on mine(for the time being).

OP, don't go taking your brakes apart just yet...

My odometer 03/11
Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
In my case, it's not the brakes...I know the difference between the two, and I've already fixed the brake noise on mine(for the time being).

OP, don't go taking your brakes apart just yet...
Well.. neither of us can "hear" the noise so it impresses me that you can tell the difference. Based on the description of the noise, actually the events that trigger the noise were exactly my symptoms and it was my brakes. I took nothing apart aside from wheel and drum removal. I just lubricated the contact points where the shoes slide on the back plate, the pin, and cleaned and lubricated the springs... Noise all gone. However, about 8k miles later, I can hear it starting again. Mostly during (after) a hard stop.

The noise happens after the stop (split second), when the vehicle wants to roll backward while the brakes are engaged and the shoes shift.

However as mentioned.. New car (2011) still under warranty, take it in.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I can hear the two noises, and tell the difference between them...maybe mine is worse off then yours.

My odometer 03/11
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
goredskins
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2007
Total newbie here. I have a 2007 Yaris Sedan and the entire under carriage sounds like it's going to just crumble in a million pieces. I hear it the worse when I go over speed bumps. I just assumed that I needed to crawl under there and tighten whatever bolt I saw. I changed the front pads recently but I haven't touched the drums.
goredskins is offline   Reply With Quote