Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #19
blake111887
Yarisonater

Drives: NAUTICAL BLUE 07 YARIS SEDAN
Send a message via AIM to blake111887
this has to be the best thing ive seen or heard of so far, dude i really trhink that ifyou get this goin for as cheap as you say you can, and even cheaper depending on demand as you said, you should get some real feedback from yaris enthusiast such as ourselves.

Hell ive wanted an intake system for my yaris for about 2 1/2 months now but they are sooooooo expensive. And if you want help with the marketing i could help there as far as creating ads, and posters and what not, message me if you feel like it

but definitely go through with this one.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:38 AM   #20
BASKIN.N/A-HONDA
Its the horsepower stupid

Drives: 97 Honda Accord(N/A),03-R6 Le
Send a message via AIM to BASKIN.N/A-HONDA
hey all you yaris fans, i'm new to this forum shit and computers in general, but i'd like to give you some input on the intake. the final product will be a very well desinged and thought out process of development, and the final cosmetic results will also be top notch! i've built a couple of intake systems for cars before in the past. some using m.a.p. sensors and some using m.a.f. sensors, map sensors obviously being easier. civics,crx,acura integra and legend, merkur,my supra,rx-7, and accord. the toyota uses a new style m.a.f. sensor wich is referred to as the karmen votex. this type does not uses resistors and thermotransducers. it uses a mirror mounted on a thin wire that the air vortex created by the karmen vortex baffle osocilates the air in a certain pattern to move the mirror. there is also a l.e.d. mounted at an angle towards the mirror and a phototransistor on the other end that reads the light reflecting from the mirror wich is the converted to a.c. voltage and sent to the e.c.u. and evaluated. (if that makes sense to you) the placement of this sensor is very difficult due to the fact that it is much more sensitive to air flow/volume and engine load. the exact placement can be found by using an asciliscope that has data saving capabilities and reading the voltage pattern on the stock sensor, then placing the sensor, reading its voltage pattern, and comparing the two and adjusting as necesarry untill the patterns are close.(a little bit of triall and error on our part but we did it!) the m.a.f. sensor will pick up on the rest and adjust the fuel as needed, thus not letting the engine run to lean. a fuel pressure regulator is always a good idea so that ultimate tuning can be achieved. the filter i chose i have used for the past several years. it is your generic k 'n' n filter and is made from the same material and quality. also comes with a ten year 100,000 mile waranty....just like k 'n' n. the reason i use oil filters verses dry is for the shear fact that oil will help trap more dirt, ultimatley resulting in cleaner filtration!, it will need cleaned more often,about every other oil change. a recharge kit is twelve bucks and it takes five minutes. but as far as i'm concerned it's worth it to your engine. aslo the oil in the filter will not hurt the m.a.f sensor because it doesn't uses heated resistors that the oil can film on and insulate resulting in bad voltage paterns. as far as you daily drivers want to go the intake will supply you with the lower to mid range performance that your looking for with a basic install of hand tools and a half hour of your time. for you guys that are thinking "homemade" i'll fill you in on what i have at my disposal. first off i have a A.S.E master tech certification at ohio technical college and outdoor power equipment certs in echo,stihl,mtd,cub cadet, kawasawki,suzuki,robin,briggs and stratton,scag,encore,tecumseh,honda,vangard,toro,p arker hydraulics,and myers,western,and boss snowplow products. i've worked at sohars all seasons ( www.rcpw.com )for eight years and have all the tools welders bead blasters etc. and the knowledge to use them! my dad also owns a shop with a full machine crew/machines and two c.n.c. mills. i am also the buddy of chino charles who did the crank pulley, tach, custom short shifter, shark fin, and the "betty" intake.(i'll tell you guys about the zex kit on a crx sometime!) i hope this is enough info for now, it's a good backround of where i come from and the intake is being produced from as well as the outcome quality of the product. once again i'm new to this forum shit (and i hate computers) so if it takes me a day to respond please be patient. feel free to send me any questions you have. and remember........SUPERBIKES!
If you have to ask, you just won't understand,
It's the horsepower stupid!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 AM   #21
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
wow, good to have someone else so knowledgeable on board

Vortex MAF sensors sound quite complicated, but it does sound like they will not slowly get less accurate over time.

Keep us posted on progress!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #22
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASKIN.N/A-HONDA View Post
It's the horsepower stupid!
I'm getting that tattooed on my ass.

Parted out Scion xA intake: $35 overnighted via FedEX
"Ugly Betty" ghettotake: $65 on Visa debit card
Seeing Baskin post on a Yaris forum: Priceless.

There are some things in the world Hitler would find funny.
This is one of them.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I'm getting that tattooed on my ass.
so as to attract horses to your ass? you sick sick twisted little man...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #24
ChinoCharles
Banned

Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
BASKIN.N/A-HONDA

SO WHO WANTS ONE? GIVE ME SOME IDEAS HERE GUYS ON HOW MANY TO START WITH.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
ChinoCharles
Banned

Bump for interest!!!

Betty 2.0 begins tonight! We've got pipe, plate and a coupler for the TB!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #27
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Bump for interest!!!

Betty 2.0 begins tonight! We've got pipe, plate and a coupler for the TB!

Chino... How much will it be?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #28
[FR] Sébastien Loeb
www.sebastienloeb.com

Drives: Citroën C4 & TOYOTA Yaris
when buliding an intake with many pieces and tubes combain together, the air flow will not flow as free as an intake that is build with just one or two tubes together such as most of the aftermarket intake kits ( TRD, AEM, ect...) therefore you are better off getting an aftermarket intake kit to get the most air flow out of it.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Chino... How much will it be?

Lets just say in a group buy situation you're looking at about 80-100 bucks shipped with no filters... maybe even less if we can get 15 or 20 people in on it. We still haven't sourced all necessary parts, so it'll be a few days before we know for sure...

Quote:
when buliding an intake with many pieces and tubes combain together, the air flow will not flow as free as an intake that is build with just one or two tubes together such as most of the aftermarket intake kits ( TRD, AEM, ect...) therefore you are better off getting an aftermarket intake kit to get the most air flow out of it.
Shut your face Loeb! No, you're right... the smoother the pipe, the better the flow. However, the finished version will have two couplers, and only one will be funtional in air flow... two pipes, one with the MAF adapter, and two couplers, one for the throttle body and one for the 2" to 3" flare... other than that, straight aluminized steel pipe. I told you... that was just the mockup! If you want to spend 150 extra bucks (at least) to avoid one little coupler, be my guest! But please, spare me a lecture on the basics.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #30
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Its all on how you pieced it together. As long as the "steps" were placed right. Say the first connection in inside and the second outside. Then the air never encounters a "lip" to flow over.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
BASKIN.N/A-HONDA

good job and well spoken jdubau55, at least somebody's thinking before they speak.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #32
[FR] Sébastien Loeb
www.sebastienloeb.com

Drives: Citroën C4 & TOYOTA Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
Its all on how you pieced it together. As long as the "steps" were placed right. Say the first connection in inside and the second outside. Then the air never encounters a "lip" to flow over.
Even with the connection from In to Out, the air flow still does not flow as free as a one piece pipe, also the In to Out connection limits the air flow due to the tube being narrow down more and more as you connect it from In to Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASKIN.N/A-HONDA View Post
good job and well spoken jdubau55, at least somebody's thinking before they speak.
yes, think again before you speak
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #33
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Is Chino making an intake for a Ferrari or something?

Mr. Loeb is totally right guys! With all those parts you will be loosing maybe 10%-15% of the power that a fancy intake can give you due to flow inefficiency.

Supposing a 4-5 hp gain, a 15% loss will be 0.6 - 0.75 hp.

So..... 0.75 hp Vs. $150 saving. What do you think???

Good luck with your business Chino! Too bad I already have one of the fancy intakes... otherwise I will be sending you my cash for sure.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Is Chino making an intake for a Ferrari or something?

Mr. Loeb is totally right guys! With all those parts you will be loosing maybe 10%-15% of the power that a fancy intake can give you due to flow inefficiency.

Supposing a 4-5 hp gain, a 15% loss will be 0.6 - 0.75 hp.

So..... 0.75 hp Vs. $150 saving. What do you think???

Good luck with your business Chino! Too bad I already have one of the fancy intakes... otherwise I will be sending you my cash for sure.
Thanks for the kind words CASTREX.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I finally have my appointment at the dyno this Sunday. The regional Mustang Dyno tech is coming in to make sure this time around our readings are accurate. I am not even going to bother dynoing the Megan header again. The goal is by Sunday we want to have the production prototype finished and on the car so we can get accurate readings. The mockup that is on there now would read out at a tad less power due to the 1/4" wall sitting in the piping right now. I'll take lots of pictures.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #35
blake111887
Yarisonater

Drives: NAUTICAL BLUE 07 YARIS SEDAN
Send a message via AIM to blake111887
cool, hope the dyno testing goes well, i still think that when you have the product all finished and done with its going to be something to brag about, i mean tlike you said this is a mock up product not the real deal so if you get the project on the way then i think that this will be a performance part a lot of yaris owners will want to have.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #36
ChinoCharles
Banned

I have a LOT of help. I can't weld, CNC machine, use a drill press... I'm wrenchtarded. You guys saw how well the header install went. There are a lot of people here involved in this project... you'd be amazed how the old-school tuners light up when you tell them you want to put spray in a 1.5 L econobox, or when you tell them you have a working prototype of a possible production intake. Even Chris... he's all the way in New Jersey but I couldn't have done this without him.

Don't thank me, thank them... and yourselves for that matter. The feedback we're getting is encouraging to say the least. Exciting is more like it... and it seems every problem I come across, you guys have an answer. Even some of the ones I'm not aware of yet (like the FPR in the tank) are brought to my attention without me even asking.

You guys kick ass. If I can get a cheap intake built with a little help from my friends, its the least I could do.
Closed Thread