Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
engine swap

I have a Hatch that has high miles and I cant afford a new rig so I have decided to do a complete drivetrain swap.I dont want to nibble at several problems and future ones coming up.
I want an engine 2009 or later ,Manual trans and all parts for it.
Including the accelerator pedal. I have an 07 and dont want to deal with any flaws from the early years. Where can I buy a complete engine/trans with less than 100K on it on a pallet.?? I could pick it up if its within 500 miles of Tallahassee. If I cant find a Yaris engine I will consider a Corolla engine if it will fit directly. Any ideas appreciated and any info on dropping the motor out/in also needed. I think I can handle it, and will also consider hiring a mechanic to help for a few hours if possible. Getting it in will be a 2 person job.

2007 Hatch with 1.5 manual 5 speed.
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Get creative and chuck a 2zzge in there :)

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
You generally will not find a "shop" or vendor that will sell you the motor and trans together in one package. They will always be stored individually. That being said what is wrong with your current transmission? You are saying that you have a C50 already or you want to do a conversion from an auto to a manual? As for a direct swap there really aren't any that are considered direct. If you are interested in a motor swap then once again you will just need to use the search feature as there are plenty of threads out there to include stickied threads with tons of info at this point. You can find used motors with anywhere between 30k and 80k miles for between 350-600 depending on the mileage. The transmissions can go all over the map from 300-1000.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Buy a wrecked car with the engine/trans that you want, in the long run it'll save you a lot of hassles.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
yaris9876

I have the manual trans...I might just keep it.. anyway will a 2010 engine fit right in without mods???Will a wreck engine
come with a ECM??? Anyone know a Yaris tech with talent around the SE especially Florida??
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
I have the manual trans...I might just keep it.. anyway will a 2010 engine fit right in without mods???Will a wreck engine
come with a ECM??? Anyone know a Yaris tech with talent around the SE especially Florida??

Any year Yaris engine and tranny will work. Engines typically are not sold with the wiring harness nor with the ECM.

I recommend buying them from a junkyard that offers a warranty. I recently made the mistake of buying an engine and tranny from an individual and it turned out that even though he said that they had been properly stored, both had severe water damage from improper storage. It was a shame too, as both only had 25K miles.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
yaris9876

will my 07 ECM work on a 2010 engine??? Will all my hoses work?? Can I get a new gasket for the trans/emgine join or just use permatex??
Do I have to drain the AC refrigerant or can I work around it?? I am trying to find an independant guy in N Florida who can guide me and use his tools too. Any ideas??
Old 12-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
will my 07 ECM work on a 2010 engine??? Yes. Will all my hoses work?? Can I get a new gasket for the trans/emgine join or just use permatex??
Do I have to drain the AC refrigerant or can I work around it?? I am trying to find an independant guy in N Florida who can guide me and use his tools too. Any ideas??
will my 07 ECM work on a 2010 engine??? Yes.

Will all my hoses work?? Yes.

Can I get a new gasket for the trans/emgine join or just use permatex?? You don't gasket it.

Do I have to drain the AC refrigerant or can I work around it?? No work around. It will need to be removed and refilled.

I am trying to find an independant guy in N Florida who can guide me and use his tools too. Any ideas?? No ideas for the area, sorry.

If you wanna see how I and a few others have done it:

Tiamat Engine Removal and Replacement

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
yaris9876

I assume you had to dis assemble and remove the entire front suspension??
about the AC..you had to remove that smaller radiator??? It looks like you can just detach the hoses
from the AC and its free of the motor...??
There is 1 motor mount on the passenger side..is the other mount the trans mount under on the other side??

I assume its much better to drop it than raise it,no??
If you went to a indy shop locally and hired them to do the whole thing,what do you think they would charge??
Anyone know of a shop that would just help partially anywhere in the SE USA??
btw do these look like real injectors to you??? 4 for 100$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Denso-23...p2054897.l4276
about the water damaged engine...it was probably one of the hurricane Sandy flooders..there was thousands of them that got written off....you can run the VIN to check on them...most of them
would be in the NE but I imagine they spread them out among the parts yards a bit to get rid of them
all.

Last edited by yaris9876; 12-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

I hate to come off like a jerk, but I have provided you with all the input that I am going to. You need to start to do some research on your own rather than requiring everyone to spoon feed you. This community has ton of answers here, but you need to invest the time into checking it out. I say all of this because it could become a big job to swap motors and you have 2 choices, A) you call around and get quotes, B) you pull up your pants and take the plunge. I personally would opt for B since it would be both a learning and growing experience. Option A will most likely be quoted at somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 hours by a shop depending on how they do it. You might even get someone quoting up to 20. It really all depends on how familiar they are with the platform, but a shop's rule of thumb would I think be around 8-10 hours removal and then the same for reassembly.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
yaris9876

that is weird. Forums are for nothing but asking questions. there are no exact threads on swapping engines. I looked. Anyway doesnt matter. I will hire an experienced car enthusiast helper for a few hundred dollars. Its worth that.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
that is weird. Forums are for nothing but asking questions. there are no exact threads on swapping engines. I looked. Anyway doesnt matter. I will hire an experienced car enthusiast helper for a few hundred dollars. Its worth that.
Hiring someone isn't a bad idea at all.

As for asking questions that is great and all, but the car as well as the forum have been around for 7 years so of course there are threads on swaps. Here is one that has been stickied which can be found by using the search feature for "swap":

Yaris Motor Swap Thread *Read before posting swap threads*

We love helping folks out here, but you have to help yourself too.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I assume you had to dis assemble and remove the entire front suspension??
about the AC..you had to remove that smaller radiator??? It looks like you can just detach the hoses
from the AC and its free of the motor...??
There is 1 motor mount on the passenger side..is the other mount the trans mount under on the other side??

I assume its much better to drop it than raise it,no??
If you went to a indy shop locally and hired them to do the whole thing,what do you think they would charge??
Anyone know of a shop that would just help partially anywhere in the SE USA??
btw do these look like real injectors to you??? 4 for 100$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Denso-23...p2054897.l4276
about the water damaged engine...it was probably one of the hurricane Sandy flooders..there was thousands of them that got written off....you can run the VIN to check on them...most of them
would be in the NE but I imagine they spread them out among the parts yards a bit to get rid of them
all.

Swapping a motor is not that bad of a job. I am not sure what a shop would charge, but my bet is they would hit you for at least 8 hours of labor.

I prefer to lift rather than drop a Yaris engine as dropping it requires dropping the subframe. You can unbolt the AC compressor from the engine (and leave the hoses connected) to avoid having to evacuate and refill the AC, but if you are swapping the engine with a lower mileage one, swapping the AC compressor and alternator with newer ones is not a bad idea.

For the motor mounts there are the two that you mentioned, plus a third, rear one, that mates the tranny to the subframe.

My water damaged purchase was wrecked long before the hurricane. It was just removed from the car and stored outside, where it was not covered well enough and water entered the differential of the AT and wicked into the valves via rags that were stuffed into the intake ports.